Pre-Poo

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users
I've been hearing a lot about the pre-pooing idea and I have to say I really like it and would like to implement it into my routine. However, I have some questions... Alot of those pre poo treatments seem to cater to hair that falls into the 3 or 4 category.

Is it a good idea to use oils for pre poo for 2C hair? And are there certain types of oils that work well?

Do conditioners work better as a pre poo?

Should we do it under heat or just for a few minutes in the shower steam?

Are there pre-packaged pre poo treatments (like from Shea Moisture, etc) that work well?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Depends on what you use. Coconut oil needs about 12 hours to really absorb (and I believe it's the only oil that can really penetrate the hair shaft). I've used Morocco Method sea essence shampoo as a pre poo and had it on my hair for just one minute or so. Pre poos are fine for type 2 hair, but need to be washed out pretty well. When I was lo po I'd have to use a clarifying shampoo bar. Even with high porosity, when I did a light coconut oil pre poo (less than a spoonful mixed with water) my hair was still oily the next morning and I needed to wash with borax, not just CO wash, to get it out. I liked the idea of coconut oil because supposedly it helps your hair retain protein better. Otherwise I mostly use pre poo if I feel shampooing is drying out my hair too much or if I'm going to clarify.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I pre-poo and think it's a really great think to do if/when you have the time (if it's relevant I have 3A hair, so not that different from yours at all).

Coconut oil is the best for pre-poos as its really one of the only oils that penetrates. It's good, as naturecat said, to leave it on for as long as possible. So what most people do is put it on at night, place a plastic bag over your head (so the heat can help it penetrate) and then in the morning wash your hair as usual.

Coconut oil washes out of my hair easily with my SM shampoo, so I never experience build-up or greasiness.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Your hair pattern has nothing to do with products you should use or not use. Do pre-poos, they are great!
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • scooterbooscooterboo Posts: 3Registered Users
    I have used Amla oil as a pre-poo and also after washing if my hair is feeling particularly dry. Much better for my hair than coconut oil (i'm 2a/b)
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users
    Okay great! These are all good things to know.

I did my first one with Olive and castor oils but I felt like it was a bit too heavy. I'll try doing the pre poo overnight with coconut oil since then I don't have to wake up earlier to start it!

Current Products:

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    scooterboo wrote: »
    I have used Amla oil as a pre-poo and also after washing if my hair is feeling particularly dry. Much better for my hair than coconut oil (i'm 2a/b)

Amla oil! Thanks for mentioning! I've used amla itself as a treatment, but never thought to buy or use the oil as a pre poo. I'll have to give this a shot.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    So, I've been pre-pooing with coconut and kukui nut oils the last few washes and then washing out with a mix of low-poo and co-wash. I was wondering... Do I even need to pre-poo if I'm co-washing my hair?

Current Products:

• geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    it certainly couldn't hurt... think of it like people who use the condition-wash-condition method.

my theory is that the only reasons you have to *not* do it is if your hair starts to get weighed down by too much oil, or you don't notice it doing enough condition-wise to justify the continued cost.
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
    Okay great! I wasn't sure.

Current Products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file