Possible Cut to Wear Curly or Straight?

Raquel48Raquel48 Registered Users Posts: 3
Is it possible to have a certain cut where naturally curly's can wear their hair either way-curly or straightened? I've watched tons of channels on youtube and have asked numerous times but with no response :-(
ANY suggestions or advice PLEASE on how to cut my naturally curly 3a/b hair so that it will look good either way?
I don't straighten often, only twice in the past 3 years but I would like more versatility with the option to wear it both ways.

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    A carefully layered bob will work. You can have it done in several ways: some like it with the hair shorter in back and layered so that the front pieces are longer. This is good if you have a round or square face shape. My face shape is long so I prefer it shorter in front and layered angling toward longer in back.

You can also do an asymmetrical bob (there is a current thread on this on the site) but I'm not sure how well that would work.

A good stylist should be able to do one of the bob styles so that you can have a great look either curly or straight. It is a very simple and well-known style of cutting hair so any really good stylist should be able to do it. The very meticulously cut layers so that they fall correctly is the key.

Good luck with this! Please post back and let us know if you found a style that works both ways - whether a bob or otherwise. :thumright:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,358 Curl Connoisseur
    i know for a deva cut you are supposed to let the stylist know you want to wear your hair straight sometimes, and they will cut the the bottom layer blunt.
    so, i would guess wherever you get it cut, mention that.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • Raquel48Raquel48 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks so much for your reply. Guess I should have mentioned I'm looking to keep my length so a bob wouldn't work. I started out with a layered bob 2 years ago and it was cute but now my hair is way past my shoulders (curly state), almost bra brand length.
  • Raquel48Raquel48 Registered Users Posts: 3
    rbb wrote: »
    i know for a deva cut you are supposed to let the stylist know you want to wear your hair straight sometimes, and they will cut the the bottom layer blunt.
    so, i would guess wherever you get it cut, mention that.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I've been to a deva cut stylist twice. I did mention I'd like the option to wear it straight or curly and she told me I can only have it one way :-( Nonsense, I know as I've watched numerous youTube channels with curlies wearing a straightened style sometimes. I think maybe she doesn't know how to cut so both would look good.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    That was my problem with Deva cuts which I've had twice. It looked great curly but was a mess if I tried to wear it in a roller set or straight.

My curl pattern is weak, so in order not to have to rewet every day, I sometimes do a straighter style or roller set because they last longer, so I have given up on Deva cuts. Maybe a very skilled Deva stylist would know how to cut it so that you could wear it either way, but if you plan to switch off, make sure your stylist is definite about understanding that and being able to do it. Post back if you can!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Novice
    My hair is cut in long layers with a rounded cut (as in my ends aren't in a straight line, but a curve). It looks fine straightened (which I haven't done in years, but I've always had the same sort of hair cut) and you don't need to sacrifice hair (my hair reaches about 2 inches before my waist when stretched).

Current Products:

• Nature's Gate Biotin Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

• KekekurlyKekekurly Registered Users Posts: 10
    I get my hair trimmed when it's straight also. Personally I want to know my hair is even and the same length all over whether I wear it curly or straight and the best way to do that it to get it trimmed straight.
  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    I've always wondered this same thing. Can you get a deva cut that looks good straight?
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • cristi05cristi05 Registered Users Posts: 27 Curl Neophyte
    I used to switch between curly & straight alot. My hair was shoulder length & layered (I cut it myself). Approximately 5 years ago I stopped straightening it & tried to follow the Curly Girl method. My hair is now probably twice as curly as it was & it is much harder to straighten (only do it once or twice a year). It was nice to be able to do both. I had bangs & my cut was basically pulling it all forward from my forehead & cutting it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using CurlTalk App
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,358 Curl Connoisseur
    anniemae wrote: »
    I've always wondered this same thing. Can you get a deva cut that looks good straight?

you tell them you want to wear it straight sometimes and they are supposed to then cut the edges straight. make sure that will happen.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you!!
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • NYCgirlNYCgirl Registered Users Posts: 236 Curl Neophyte
    Long layers work best for me.
    I only wear my hair straight twice a year maybe and I’m lucky if I can stand it for a full week each time.
    I had considered getting a Deva cut at one point, watched as many videos as I could and decided it would likely be a disaster for me.
    I’m not so much concerned about how my hair looks when its straight but how it actually looks curly since my hair/curls behave differently depending on how I style it as well as what I use to style it.
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file