Need some good products for my low porosity curly hair

HappinessmoonHappinessmoon Registered Users Posts: 57
I just discovered I have low prosperity hair! I don't really know what density I have though... I'd say medium or low, I'm not sure. So, knowing all of this, I don't know what products I need! I notice if I put too much conditioner in my hair, it gets slushy and yucky! I also heard I might be protein sensitive.
Does this mean I shouldn't deep condition? My hair is really really frizzy and dry and I want to do a hot oil treatment but I also want to do a deep conditioning. If I do the hot oil treatment, should I avoid coconut oil? I'm just really confused and don't know what to do :'( . I want my hair healthy and mosturized and not frizzy! I been doing this CG method for almost a year and have not seen any good results and I just found out its probably the products I'm using!!!

I use L.A. Looks gel , Tea tree tingle from trader Joe's as my co-wash and Tresemee naturals for the lengths of my hair. (I don't use any leave in cuz I don't know what to buy)

If I deep condition, will my hair get slushy and lucky again? Or does it depend on what conditioner I use? (If anybody can recommend me one to use for my hair please tell me)

Please help I'm so confused and stuck! S.O.S. !

Comments

  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    My hair is fine/low porosity/low density. If your hair is low porosity, it means it takes a LONG time to absorb products, if it does it at all. I use minute amounts of really rich products. Frequently, my hair is dry before the products are all absorbed.

    You don't say what your texture is, so it's hard to advise you. Texture is more important then density. Density just means you need more product and have to be careful with distribution. PT and DT are two separate things. Using protein might help your hair from getting "slushy and yucky." For me, it really helps with frizz and volume.

    My hair is really well conditioned (shampoo guy at the salon won't use conditioner on it because it's in such good shape. He just doesn't "get it"), so I don't DT.

    Sometimes, it depends on the formulation as to whether or not your hair will absorb an ingredient. I can use coconut oil in a well formulated product, but can't use the SM Coconut & Hibiscus line. It just sits on my hair. I have to wash it out. Luckily, it's easy.

    Many folks with low porosity hair can't use straight oil, it just doesn't absorb. If you use it, you probably need to sit under a hard bonnet dryer, if you want any of it to absorb. Then, you'll have to shampoo the rest out--which defeats the idea of DT.

    Did I read on another thread that you shampoo everyday?? I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. Just because you wet, doesn't mean you have to shampoo. That might be contributing to the dryness and frizz.

    I'm not familiar with the products you're using. You may want to check the ingredients. Low porosity hair is more prone to buildup because it doesn't absorb. I have problems with polyquats, especially 4, 7 and 10. They coat my hair, cause frizz when wet and are hard to remove.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

    HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HappinessmoonHappinessmoon Registered Users Posts: 57
    Hi thank you so much for replying Kathy!

    I really don't know my texture is. This whole thing is just so confusing to me. All I know is my hair type (2c/3a) so now I'm not even sure if I'm low porosity or not :/ . I don't know if it takes a long time for my hair to absorb products -_-

    And I don't know what how to do the PT. I don't know what I should buy for that but I wanna give it a go.
    My hair needs all the moisture it could get though. It's just really dry. If I put gel it looks fine and you can't notice that it's dry. But without the gel, I look like a curly poofy mess!

    And hm, interesting. Thanks for letting me know

    I used to shampoo everyday before I started the CG method but I don't anymore. I do, however, shower everyday. I don't really like my 2nd day hair. It looks like an absolute mess and all that work to control it.. I rather just hop in the shower and start all over again. I probably don't have the right tools (conditioners and such) to maintain a good 2nd day hair, and so on.
    I do sleep with a satin sleep cap but it's still a disaster when I take it out.

    And okay but I don't know what to look out for in the ingredients... Like it is CG approved but what should I look out for since I think I have low porosity?

    Sorry for all the questions.. I really don't know what to do. Here's a pic of my hair WITH GEL . If you'd like I can also take a pic of my hair with no gel when I have time.

    Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Hi thank you so much for replying Kathy!

    I really don't know my texture is. This whole thing is just so confusing to me. All I know is my hair type (2c/3a) so now I'm not even sure if I'm low porosity or not :/ . I don't know if it takes a long time for my hair to absorb products -_-

    And I don't know what how to do the PT. I don't know what I should buy for that but I wanna give it a go.
    My hair needs all the moisture it could get though. It's just really dry. If I put gel it looks fine and you can't notice that it's dry. But without the gel, I look like a curly poofy mess!

    And hm, interesting. Thanks for letting me know

    I used to shampoo everyday before I started the CG method but I don't anymore. I do, however, shower everyday. I don't really like my 2nd day hair. It looks like an absolute mess and all that work to control it.. I rather just hop in the shower and start all over again. I probably don't have the right tools (conditioners and such) to maintain a good 2nd day hair, and so on.
    I do sleep with a satin sleep cap but it's still a disaster when I take it out.

    And okay but I don't know what to look out for in the ingredients... Like it is CG approved but what should I look out for since I think I have low porosity?

    Sorry for all the questions.. I really don't know what to do. Here's a pic of my hair WITH GEL . If you'd like I can also take a pic of my hair with no gel when I have time.

    Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

    Here's a link that might help you with the texture/porosity thing Curl Junkie - Natural Hair Care for all types of Curly Hair!: My 2 cents on Protein/Texture/Porosity/Moisture Balance! :-) The CJ Repair Me is the best PT I've used. Very moisturizing. I don't have to DT. There are some DIY PTs, one by IAGirl comes to mind. You can search for it. Uses gelatin in too high a concentration for my hair. I have trouble rinsing it out.

    I don't do second day hair. It never looks good when I wake up.

    As I said, I try to stay away from a lot of chemicals, so I use jelly products instead of gels (my definition is that the gels have the chemicals and the jellies don't.)

    I never used products until I started lurking on nc.com. Then, I used EVERYTHING! Finally discovered what my hair likes and am able to buy things that work for me. It's a lot of trial and error.

    Once you determine your properties, look for people with similar hair and see what they use. It's a good place to start.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

    HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HappinessmoonHappinessmoon Registered Users Posts: 57
    Thank you very much for that link. It was very helpful and informative! And yeah I guess I have to realize that I need to experiment different products and such. That's the only way I'll find out what my hair likes. I'll just buy my products one at a time and not all at once. Got to pace myself since I'm broke at the moment xD

    Thank you again :)
  • ParatyParaty Registered Users Posts: 394
    kathymack wrote: »
    My hair is fine/low porosity/low density. If your hair is low porosity, it means it takes a LONG time to absorb products, if it does it at all. I use minute amounts of really rich products. Frequently, my hair is dry before the products are all absorbed.

    You don't say what your texture is, so it's hard to advise you. Texture is more important then density. Density just means you need more product and have to be careful with distribution. PT and DT are two separate things. Using protein might help your hair from getting "slushy and yucky." For me, it really helps with frizz and volume.

    My hair is really well conditioned (shampoo guy at the salon won't use conditioner on it because it's in such good shape. He just doesn't "get it"), so I don't DT.

    Sometimes, it depends on the formulation as to whether or not your hair will absorb an ingredient. I can use coconut oil in a well formulated product, but can't use the SM Coconut & Hibiscus line. It just sits on my hair. I have to wash it out. Luckily, it's easy.

    Many folks with low porosity hair can't use straight oil, it just doesn't absorb. If you use it, you probably need to sit under a hard bonnet dryer, if you want any of it to absorb. Then, you'll have to shampoo the rest out--which defeats the idea of DT.

    Did I read on another thread that you shampoo everyday?? I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. Just because you wet, doesn't mean you have to shampoo. That might be contributing to the dryness and frizz.

    I'm not familiar with the products you're using. You may want to check the ingredients. Low porosity hair is more prone to buildup because it doesn't absorb. I have problems with polyquats, especially 4, 7 and 10. They coat my hair, cause frizz when wet and are hard to remove.

    What rinse-outs work for you and do not cause buildup? I currently use Sally's GVP Balm, but find it leaves a glycerin-like feeling when I rinse. I have tried Tresseme Naturals (nourishing moisture with avocado/aloe) and that leaves my hair feeling plastic coated. I also use the CJ Rehab, but it is better for me as a leave-in or deep treatment than a rinse out. My hair is shoulder length, 4a, very fine and I generally have buildup and brittle hair issues with coconut oil, aloe vera and castor oil.
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

    Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
  • HappinessmoonHappinessmoon Registered Users Posts: 57
    Paraty wrote: »
    [QUOTE=k
    What rinse-outs work for you and do not cause buildup? I currently use Sally's GVP Balm, but find it leaves a glycerin-like feeling when I rinse. I have tried Tresseme Naturals (nourishing moisture with avocado/aloe) and that leaves my hair feeling plastic coated. I also use the CJ Rehab, but it is better for me as a leave-in or deep treatment than a rinse out. My hair is shoulder length, 4a, very fine and I generally have buildup and brittle hair issues with coconut oil, aloe vera and castor oil.

    Um, I'm really not sure what rinse out are good for me. I've only tried 2 in my lifetime, the Suavee Naturals and Tresemee Naturals. They both act the same on my hair. Haven't had any issues just yet. I'm going to try the GVP balm and see how my hair likes it.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Paraty wrote: »

    What rinse-outs work for you and do not cause buildup? I currently use Sally's GVP Balm, but find it leaves a glycerin-like feeling when I rinse. I have tried Tresseme Naturals (nourishing moisture with avocado/aloe) and that leaves my hair feeling plastic coated. I also use the CJ Rehab, but it is better for me as a leave-in or deep treatment than a rinse out. My hair is shoulder length, 4a, very fine and I generally have buildup and brittle hair issues with coconut oil, aloe vera and castor oil.

    IMHO, the rinse out is the least important product for people with low porosity hair. I'm older (62) and take a very quick shower, so my rinse out isn't on very long. Feel that you better off using well formulated, richer products for styling (like the curl rehab or other DT type products. I didn't find the GVP conditioning balm clone I tried to be moisturizing, at all. Have never used any Tresseme product, so can't compare.

    The best rinse out I've ever found is Sevi Pumpkin Seed http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/116994-sevi-organics.html All of her products are really nice. If you want a reasonably priced, drugstore type product, you may want to try some of the Yes To conditioners. I also stay away from chemicals. As I said above, I have big issues with polyquats (especially 4, 7 and 10) coating my hair and being hard to remove. I can't use castor oil, either. Leaves my hair greasy and frizzy at the same time. Mineral oil is similar.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

    HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ParatyParaty Registered Users Posts: 394
    kathymack wrote: »
    Paraty wrote: »

    What rinse-outs work for you and do not cause buildup? I currently use Sally's GVP Balm, but find it leaves a glycerin-like feeling when I rinse. I have tried Tresseme Naturals (nourishing moisture with avocado/aloe) and that leaves my hair feeling plastic coated. I also use the CJ Rehab, but it is better for me as a leave-in or deep treatment than a rinse out. My hair is shoulder length, 4a, very fine and I generally have buildup and brittle hair issues with coconut oil, aloe vera and castor oil.

    IMHO, the rinse out is the least important product for people with low porosity hair. I'm older (62) and take a very quick shower, so my rinse out isn't on very long. Feel that you better off using well formulated, richer products for styling (like the curl rehab or other DT type products. I didn't find the GVP conditioning balm clone I tried to be moisturizing, at all. Have never used any Tresseme product, so can't compare.

    The best rinse out I've ever found is Sevi Pumpkin Seed http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/116994-sevi-organics.html All of her products are really nice. If you want a reasonably priced, drugstore type product, you may want to try some of the Yes To conditioners. I also stay away from chemicals. As I said above, I have big issues with polyquats (especially 4, 7 and 10) coating my hair and being hard to remove. I can't use castor oil, either. Leaves my hair greasy and frizzy at the same time. Mineral oil is similar.

    Thanks for the detail! The Sevi deep conditioner looks good, but my hair doesn't absorb aloe vera juice/gel (I am actually using up the CJ Rehab as a DT with heat/leave-in, but won't repurchase). I did try the Yes To Cucumbers some years ago and it left my scalp itchy as a rinse-out (yikes!) but was actually a moisturizing leave-in. The Yes to Carrots was drying from my memory. I am going to focus on finding well-formulated, more moisturizing products for leave-in/styling like you suggest, since those products stay in the hair longer.
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

    Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file