2c/3a lo-po, fine haired curly seeks advise

cachosjucachosju Posts: 10Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi everyone!

I need your help.

ehikwew7.jpg

[In this picture my hair was brushed out after showering, several days old and had been put in a tail... I still think you can see it's need for shine well]

I have at least partially fine hair, but a lot of it. I think I may just have learned my trouble behind it remaining so dry: low porosity.

Last time it was so dry, frizzy and fluffy so I once again tried to help it out:
After having washed my hair several hours ago it is still more wet than dry. It always takes forever to dry but this time it may be due to me having put some oil in it. It is a little better now after having quickly blow-dried it with an ion-diffuser. It seems to need warmth to soak up even the littlest drops of oil. But now it's hanging totally flat wlith gelly waves. It' aweful. Only damp but looks soaking wet.

68806e9fe0a3606f42c2cf008e04242075c4c50c.jpgcT3mMQb.jpg

When I put nothing in I can go without washing for 10-14 days, only then my hair starts to get oily.
Whenever I have tried to put some moisturizer in it looses all it's curls to waves, looks greasy.

How can I define and enhance my curls without weighing them down? How can I give moisturize to it that it accepts?

I think I may now have to plaid it because it is just too greasy and lump, and I have not even used a lot of oil, about 2 cent big a blub. But since I spread it everywhere from the ear downwards (though mainly only the very ends) it is, well, everywhere now. And my hair is less curly now than when it was plopped for 10 Min!

That is why I end up never using anything. I know one can heat up a towel or put oil in the hair before taking a hot bath so I will try this in the future. But what to put after having washed it? And wash it with what? Which condi to wash? Brush? Leave in, deep condition even?
Which gel for a gel crust? Better none?
I know no protein, no glycerin probably is the best option, but which products are like that and not too heavy otherwise? Oil has protein maybe? Should I use no oil at all unless to deep condition it with heated towel wraps? And how do I get rid of the frizz without loosing all my volume?

Help! :cry:

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is fine/low porosity/low density. If your hair is low porosity, it means it takes a LONG time to absorb products, if it does it at all. I use minute amounts of really rich products. Frequently, my hair is dry before the products are all absorbed.

My hair is really well conditioned (shampoo guy at the salon won't use conditioner on it because it's in such good shape. He just doesn't "get it"), so I don't DT.

Sometimes, it depends on the formulation as to whether or not your hair will absorb an ingredient. I can use coconut oil in a well formulated product, but can't use the SM Coconut & Hibiscus line. It just sits on my hair. I have to wash it out. Luckily, it's easy.

Many folks with low porosity hair can't use straight oil, it just doesn't absorb. If you use it, you probably need to sit under a hard bonnet dryer, if you want any of it to absorb. Then, you'll have to shampoo the rest out--which defeats the idea of DT.

You may want to check the ingredients on any products you're using. Low porosity hair is more prone to buildup because it doesn't absorb. I have problems with polyquats, especially 4, 7 and 10. They coat my hair, cause frizz when wet and are hard to remove. They could be keeping your hair from absorbing product. I try to use the more natural products and avoid the chemicals.

One thing you may want to do is wet more frequently and use a rinse out. That way, if you're using water soluble products, they should rinse out. You don't need to shampoo them out.

Not sure why you'd avoid protein? Protein really helps with frizz and volume if your hair needs it.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cachosjucachosju Posts: 10Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi! Thanks so much for your long post.

Well I know what is low porosity but not what and how to apply products and the meaning behind all ingredients yet. Whatever I have tried, it only looked greasy in the end. Even with non alconhol mouse for curly hair it already does a few hours later :(
    And yes, it always sits on my hair which is why I feel that I do need to continue to shampoo every 1 to 2 weeks to get it all out properly. Or could I use a co-poo (without sulfates, alcohol, silicons, etc) that works well? Could I use one that includes oil which in hot water perhaps is absorbed better because my hair will open up in heat?

When I am not washing my hair I do refresh it with water in a spray everyday! That alone seems to be the only thing that does not weighted it down, even conditioner always did but perhaps I have used the wrong ones?

Which products can I use?

Natural ones often also have glycerin which only makes me look greasy :(

Polyquats, hm, it is in my curly mouse! Not in my shampoo or conditioner though, and I don't use the mouse that often.

I have heard good things about the Kinky Curly Today Condi but it is supposed to be a leave in and so I thought perhaps too heavy for me and a rise out one would be better maybe?

I thought I should avoid protein because it made my ends straw like in it's feeling with this coconut oil for my hair back then and also oily looking at the same time but maybe I should try some other product again?

Yes, a different formulation might make a difference also, but how? Which ones?

I think I have medium densitity btw, because hairdressers always commented on the huuuge amount of hair. But it's not quite as much as e.g. my Portuguese curly friend has so I think it is only medium density really.

Would love to hear which products you used that worked well for you :)

Auntie EDIT:
    Just realized/discovered your signature.

"SE PA" What does that stand for?

What are HGs? And isn't Curly Kinks Satin Roots too heavy? How do you apply it onto your hair?
    what is FSG and how to get okra?

Which PH should soap bars have and don't they leave a slimie coat?
    Do you leave the leave in in?

Do you have youtube videos about your hair routine? How you apply? :D

So many questions, hope you don't mind.

Exited curly greetings from Berlin :)
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    cachosju wrote: »
    Hi! Thanks so much for your long post.

Well I know what is low porosity but not what and how to apply products and the meaning behind all ingredients yet. Whatever I have tried, it only looked greasy in the end. Even with non alconhol mouse for curly hair it already does a few hours later :(
    And yes, it always sits on my hair which is why I feel that I do need to continue to shampoo every 1 to 2 weeks to get it all out properly. Or could I use a co-poo (without sulfates, alcohol, silicons, etc) that works well? Could I use one that includes oil which in hot water perhaps is absorbed better because my hair will open up in heat?

When I am not washing my hair I do refresh it with water in a spray everyday! That alone seems to be the only thing that does not weighted it down, even conditioner always did but perhaps I have used the wrong ones?

Which products can I use?

Natural ones often also have glycerin which only makes me look greasy :(

Polyquats, hm, it is in my curly mouse! Not in my shampoo or conditioner though, and I don't use the mouse that often.

I have heard good things about the Kinky Curly Today Condi but it is supposed to be a leave in and so I thought perhaps too heavy for me and a rise out one would be better maybe?

I thought I should avoid protein because it made my ends straw like in it's feeling with this coconut oil for my hair back then and also oily looking at the same time but maybe I should try some other product again?

Yes, a different formulation might make a difference also, but how? Which ones?

I think I have medium densitity btw, because hairdressers always commented on the huuuge amount of hair. But it's not quite as much as e.g. my Portuguese curly friend has so I think it is only medium density really.

Would love to hear which products you used that worked well for you :)

Auntie EDIT:
    Just realized/discovered your signature.

"SE PA" What does that stand for?

What are HGs? And isn't Curly Kinks Satin Roots too heavy? How do you apply it onto your hair?
    what is FSG and how to get okra?

Which PH should soap bars have and don't they leave a slimie coat?
    Do you leave the leave in in?

Do you have youtube videos about your hair routine? How you apply? :D

So many questions, hope you don't mind.

Exited curly greetings from Berlin :)

Here's a link to help with your texture and porosity questions Curl Junkie - Natural Hair Care for all types of Curly Hair!: My 2 cents on Protein/Texture/Porosity/Moisture Balance! :-)

There is a sticky that has a lot of the abbreviations. I'll give a go at a few. I live in SE Pennsylvania in a suburb of Philadelphia.

HG=Holy Grail
    Flax Seed Gel and Okra Gel are two products that are fairly easy to make at home. There are tons of threads about them if you search.
    Natural soap bars were the rage the first summer I was on nc.com. They've fallen out of favor since I first started to use them because of the high pH. I've used them for 6 years (as of 9/1) with no issues. However, I get my hair cut every six weeks. If you use a rinse out conditioner, it removes that "odd" feeling.

KCKT is a detangler. Not enough moisture for my hair. The KCCC is a great product. No glycerin. Not sure why you don't want to use glycerin. Has it caused problems for you? It doesn't cause them for everyone.

I don't use a lot of any product, except the FSG or okra gel. You want your hair to be "squishy" when you use them. In the winter (low dewpoints), I use a leave in, curl enhancer and a jelly product. In the summer (high dewpoints), I use a leave in OR curl enhancer and a jelly product. You would use more because your hair is LONG and you have A LOT of hair (judging by your pictures.)

A lot of this is trial and error. Best thing to do is read, read and read some more. It's a real learning experience. I never used product until I started lurking on nc.com. Then, I tried everything! Now, I know what kind of ingredients my hair likes.

My hair looks greasy if I use certain ingredients--castor or mineral oil, or too much product.

No Youtube videos for me (I'm 62!)

Not sure I answered all of your questions, but it's a start.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am no longer one of the lo po gals; however, I believe I had the lowest porosity on this board previously due to my use of henna. Everything greased up my hair. What I found to work best for me is just a drop of flax seed gel, and then a slight amount of gelatin hair gel over that. I would use SMasters technique, so putting some of the product in my hair after the water was out helped it not get weighed down (since with lo po hair not absorbing product well, putting it on all at once resulted in grease). Also what helped me was washing my hair with things that would open up the cuticle. I used borax and shampoo bars. I wouldn't end my wash with cold water, in an effort to keep the cuticle raised I'd use warm water til the end. I also used a bit of salt (I actually wanted to rough up the cuticle). These techniques allowed me to absorb a few drops of product; otherwise putting anything besides water on my hair would result in grease. Oh and also, I didn't use any leave in. Glycerin and protein were both helpful for me. I'm discovering that glycerin = good for lo po hair, not good for high porosity hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • cachosjucachosju Posts: 10Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    O thanks!

How come you stopped CG?

Is there still things you don't do?
    Sulfat/silicones free? Soaps?
    Plopping? Cutting dry?
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    cachosju wrote: »
    O thanks!

How come you stopped CG?

Is there still things you don't do?
    Sulfat/silicones free? Soaps?
    Plopping? Cutting dry?

I'm not sure if your question was directed at me; I do CG (and I believe so does kathymack). My hair simply stopped being Lo po once I used hydrogen peroxide.
    The only thing that moisturized my hair without greasing it up was aloe vera gel, so that would be my biggest recommendation for moisture/frizz control, esp on day 2 hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file