Favourite products for clumping

joeyEmmajoeyEmma Posts: 89Registered Users Curl Novice
I'm looking for some styling products to help with clumpage. What are your favourites?

I have mostly 2c/ bits of 3a, bits of 2b hair, that gets weighed down easily. Any light products that help with clumpage are welcomed!
UK curly.

3a-ish, with bits of 3b ringlets underneath and 2b/c waves on canopy. Medium coarse, normal elasticity, normal porosity (now know thanks to Curl Wizard analysis).

No poo- Palmers conditioning cleanser
DT- Jessicurl WDT or Darcy's Pumpkin
Styling- John Frieda curl controller gel
Don’t like- Deva NoPoo, JC CC, JC CQ, KCCC, plopping.
Loves air drying gentle scrunching with microfibre towels
Don't like plopping, pixie method diffusing

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Flaxseed gel is the best clumping /curl enhancing product I've used. It works better for that than commercial gels, for me, and I get nice shine out of it too. I make my own and layer it over LI. You can find a recipe on Science-y Hair Blog, or just google flaxseed gel if you're interested.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • virginbluevirginblue Posts: 194Registered Users
    I second the FSG. Gelatin gel also works really well for me and is super easy and cheap to make. You can also add it to FSG. Of course the gelatin is only a good idea if your hair isn't protein-sensitive.
    2b//high porosity//fine texture//medium density//low elasticity//loves protein
    Lo-poo: SMMR, SMC&S
    Clarifying: VO5 shampoos
    Co-wash: VO5 conditioners
    RO: VO5 conditioners
    Styling: AIF, FSG, gelatin gel, ecostyler krystal
    PT: IAGirl's gelatin treatment
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    virginblue wrote: »
    I second the FSG. Gelatin gel also works really well for me and is super easy and cheap to make. You can also add it to FSG. Of course the gelatin is only a good idea if your hair isn't protein-sensitive.

This. I apply FSG and gelatin hair gel separately (because FSG does not give me enough hold). In the past FSG weighed down my hair. However my hair is higher porosity now and can handle it better (provided I do frequent PTs). Also to offset the weight/curl pulling of the FSG I do two things now: a final rinse of epsom salt (with water and glycerin), and also, I put epsom salt in my FSG.

Some people prefer okra gel. I think okra provided more hold if I recall, though was more greasy for me (in the past anyway).

If protein sensitive, you can use other thickeners besides gelatin as hair gel (arrowroot, pectin, agar agar, etc).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file