short hair wavies: overnight routines for 2nd day hair?

lisette3lisette3 Posts: 16Registered Users
Hi everyone,
I recently went from bra-strap length hair to hair that's just under my chin when it's wavy. I'm wondering if anyone else with short hair has suggestions on how to sleep? Is there anything else I should be doing besides using a satin pillow case or silk scarf? I like to take showers in the night and so far I've been going to sleep with it basically dry and without scrunching out the gel cast. Results have been... ehhh. I basically have to re-wet my hair and start over again each morning. Thanks for any tips!
CG since April 2013:cat:
2b medium with normal porosity

Comments

• terric62terric62 Posts: 44Registered Users
    I've been having this issue since I began cg.
    Day one i wash and use gel ,air dry or diffuse then sotc

Day 2:I don't like having to wet my hair every morning. Lately I have found that I can dry scrunch my hair again and shuffle my scalp with my head flipped over and then mix a little leave in with water, emulsified on my palms and scrunch again right side up.I use a very very small amount because I don't want wet hair. If I have a fuzzy crown,i do the same thing with a little bit of gel and smooth it very lightly over the frizzies. If I use leave in on my crown it looks flat. This works OK,but I'm always looking for better second day!
    Oh also. I kind of fan my waves out above my head on my pillow so as not to put the weight if my head on them!.
    If I'm lucky and my day 3 hair looks OK, I do the same thing but I end up being more liberal with the leave in because by this time,my hair is getting bigger and I also know I'll be washing/fully wetting it the next day!
    Usually though I only get 2 days out of it.
    Hope this helps
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In order to not have to rewet my hair in the morning, I use a boat load of gel. I shake my head around so I don't have frizz and get a gel cast. Lastly, air dry at night with my fan on to help my hair dry. Since I use a boat load of gel, I don't have to do anything to my hair in the morning but fluff my hair. No rewet.
    Curlicious: do you sotc in the am? Or before going to bed?
  • AutumnwavesAutumnwaves Posts: 41Registered Users
    I embrace the tousled look. I go to bed with it down and sleep on satin sheets and a satin pillow case. When I wake up I just shake the roots with my head upside down and touch up with a little water or serum.
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm going to have my shoulder-length hair cut. I'm thinking about a bit above the chin. I've always had short-hair (a little bit past the shoulder is the most I can tolerate) and embraced tousled-look. But I still can't manage to get some volume at the root. When it's longer, pineappling helps. I need another trick for shorter cut. :/
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I'm a restless sleeper, so I don't worry too much over how I sleep. It will all end up a wreck by morning anyway :eye: I have shoulder length hair.

My hair doesn't tangle too easily, so I actually like to comb it out a little on the 2nd day (using fingers or a wide tooth comb). I have a lot of natural body at the ends of my hair, so I get a kind of wild look that I like. Lately I've been misting my palms with a pretty dilute gel/water mixture, emulsifying that, and raking it through my already combed out hair from both above and underneath. This gives it a little more "clumpiness" than if I just comb it. Then I might take open palms or a flour sack towel and kind of push up from the bottom to accordion the waves a little. I try not to scrunch it, that seems to never go well unless it is more wet.

After that I might do a light misting of the ends with the spray gel, and pixie diffuse the ends with a bowl diffuser to set the curls on the ends. I try super hard not to touch it after that - I have some minimal crunch but that helps it hold longer. It turns out ok except for the flat top; usually a long duckbill clip at my part (gathering hair from either side of my part) will give that a little lift.

Not perfect but passable - and that's really all I'm looking for in 2nd day hair. Barring that, a claw clip updo is my best friend! :laughing9:
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    I have been trying to come up with an easier washday and maintenance routine and I like to shower in the afternoon /eveningalso.
    Here is my new approach that seems to be working:
    I shower and co wash or low pooh,whatever is needed . use my leave in. But no gel! I then scrunch a little shake into place and part . let air dry.
    ( it seems to take less time to dry with no gel)
    I then sleep on it like this. I sleep on satin but I am not careful with my hair.
    In the morning. I use my filtered water spray bottle to dampen/wet my hair,but it is definitly not soaking.
    I mix my gel with some conditioner about 50/50.. I do in the palm of my hand a few times depending on how much I need.
    I clip my crown. And then diffuse a bit.
    With this method,I am finding I can controll the amount of product more by how my hair looks in the morning. More gel? more conditioner? Flat spots etc. Rewetting areas that look goofy.
    Also, The dry/difusse time is much shorter because the roots are not soaked in the morning.
    This has worked for 3 rd day too. On day 3 since I already have a base of product in hair, I can use less water and even let it air dry.
    Who knows maybe I can go longer?
    My experiment continues!
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I finally got around to test out Suave Captivating Curls Mousse. 1st day is really good and 2nd day isn't too far off, with just a little shake after the shower, since I clipped here and there to keep the hair out of my face and neck.
    but the mousse isn't CG-safe, so you'll have to low-poo.

My hair is real short, though. It hits the jaw and the right-front side is only a bit above the chin.

When it was still shoulder-length, I pineapple with scrunchie. My curls loosened, but I don't mind since it was the easiest thing to do.

What I haven't tried is a curl reviver spray. I'm still weighing if I should make it with oil or condish or sth else.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file