2/b-2/c er with sagging curl issues!

SissydiSissydi Posts: 2Registered Users
Hi all; I'm a professional lurker, decided to post a question finally; hope you can help!
I use silicone free products to wash and condition, and Gel and plopping with some diffusing the pixie girl way to style. After plopping and diffusing, my hair is awesome, BUT, in an hour or two, the curls fall and stretch out. I diffuse until 75% dry, then let it dry all the way and then scrunch out the gel cast.
My question: does this sound like I need a cut? Longer plopping time? ( I plop for 30 minutes) more gel? I'm leaning towards the idea that I probably need a layered haircut, as I haven't had one in a while. My hair falls an inch or two past my shoulders. I'm perplexed😳

Comments

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    Welcome aboard! :wave: The right layers help me too, to an extent. The current dew points here aren't helping me - so I have a lot of hair-up-off-my neck days right now.

My pattern falls flat after a while if I'm not using a hard hold gel (or if I think my hair is dry but it really isn't and I SOTC too early :neutral:). I was really resistant to using harder hold products, but my pattern is just to weak to go without them.

Favorite hard hold gels include Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (Ulta) and Volumax gels (Sally). There are probably some others out there as well.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • KatekKatek Posts: 13Registered Users
    Following, I have the same issue and wondering if I should go to a hairdresser to help the situation! I kind of feel like my hair is too heavy to hold decent curls :(
  • SissydiSissydi Posts: 2Registered Users
    SpiralHam wrote: »
    Welcome aboard! :wave: The right layers help me too, to an extent. The current dew points here aren't helping me - so I have a lot of hair-up-off-my neck days right now.

My pattern falls flat after a while if I'm not using a hard hold gel (or if I think my hair is dry but it really isn't and I SOTC too early :neutral:). I was really resistant to using harder hold products, but my pattern is just to weak to go without them.

Favorite hard hold gels include Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (Ulta) and Volumax gels (Sally). There are probably some others out there as well.
    Thank you.....I'm currently using a Oiudad gel , but maybe I'm not using enough. I'll experiment some. I know I have bought so much product this past month, and tried different ways of drying techniques, and I always end up with this problem. So, I'm leaning toward the fact that I probably need a good layering. If that doesn't do it, I'm stumped!
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For me, this sometimes means I need a protein treatment (though in this case it tends to be limp right after washing, as opposed to fading hours after washing). If great curls are followed by drooping, it means I need a stronger hold gel. Or that I SOTC prematurely. Sometimes it could also mean I have buildup on my hair, and thus my hair is just not absorbing the gel the way it should be.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • MsyodaMsyoda Posts: 26Registered Users
    Sissydi wrote: »
    Hi all; I'm a professional lurker, decided to post a question finally; hope you can help!
    I use silicone free products to wash and condition, and Gel and plopping with some diffusing the pixie girl way to style. After plopping and diffusing, my hair is awesome, BUT, in an hour or two, the curls fall and stretch out. I diffuse until 75% dry, then let it dry all the way and then scrunch out the gel cast.
    My question: does this sound like I need a cut? Longer plopping time? ( I plop for 30 minutes) more gel? I'm leaning towards the idea that I probably need a layered haircut, as I haven't had one in a while. My hair falls an inch or two past my shoulders. I'm perplexed😳
    You could try a curly perm, but wavy hair is beautiful. Why try to make it type 3?
    type 1-2c fine to medium, dry, thin hair
  • terric62terric62 Posts: 44Registered Users
    I'm a beginner 2 also and this just happened to me today. I think I used too much leave in. So I scrunched after difussing and all was fine/then I went outside and my waves went limp......but I saved it. I did a really thorough scalp shuffle and it came back a bit. Then I dry scrunched my length and added a very light amount of gel to top frizzies. What really helped was the scalp shuffle. I really really shuffled !
    I think being wavy, it easy to over condition and then the dewpoint is so high it just wilts. In hindsight, I should have lessened the li and added more gel.
    I use LA sports gel...........
  • freshmintcurlsfreshmintcurls Posts: 21Registered Users
    Sissydi wrote: »

There are a couple of reasons why this might happen, but you have some options.

1. Embrace your hair exactly the way it is and let it drop a bit, but control for frizz/definiton.

2. If you're going to diffuse, diffuse all the way. If you want your hair to have a certain shape, it needs to be in that shape until it's 100% dry and cold (if you end up with flattened or frizzed blowouts this is most likely the culprit). If your hair is still warm or still damp, it's still malleable and gravity will do the manipulation. The downside to this is that if one of your hairs bent in a weird direction when you pick it up, it's gonna stay that way short of reshaping it with a curling iron.

3. You might not be using the right products. Mousse might work better for you, or a lighter gel, or a heavier gel. For that matter your hair might even like ingredients that you try to avoid.
  • MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mousse works best for me. Gels are way too heavy. I live in a damp, cool climate though, so I have to use lighter products on my hair. Even now with the weather and temperature changes, I'm having to try new products and redo my routine.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file