If my hair loves cold weather and goes awry in hot weather....

frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
...what does it mean?

In winter, my hair is shinier and smoother, lesst frizz, no brittle or dry hair. While in the heat of the summer like now, it's frizzy and, under the heat of the sun, feels coarse, although I thought I have low-porosity.

Does that mean my hair hates humidity? Heat? Needs protein? Needs moisture?

Thanks!
2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
(by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile

Comments

• KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    It could possible be that, if I compare your low-porosity hair to mine. Mine loved cold humidity but hated dry wind. Also sweating makes my hair frizzy as well. Maybe it's that during winter we tend to need less hold and our curls don't frizz that easily because we use stronger hold products. Of course I am merely speculating as my own hair puzzled me in humidity this summer. Maybe seabreeze humidity is bad instead of humidity in mountains. I had the chance to test both areas but humidity made my hair sleek and soft in both which sounds weird.

[Properties for mobile users]
    M+C/ii, high porosity, medium elasticity, growing out color and heat damage.
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It could possible be that, if I compare your low-porosity hair to mine. Mine loved cold humidity but hated dry wind. Also sweating makes my hair frizzy as well. Maybe it's that during winter we tend to need less hold and our curls don't frizz that easily because we use stronger hold products. Of course I am merely speculating as my own hair puzzled me in humidity this summer. Maybe seabreeze humidity is bad instead of humidity in mountains. I had the chance to test both areas but humidity made my hair sleek and soft in both which sounds weird.

Hmmmm. I don't know if mine really has anything to do with humidity. I tend to think it's just the cold wind.
    It does fine in the cold humidity (and wind!) of the Netherlands, Malta, Copenhagen (DK), Oslo (NO) or any other seaside places, just as well as the dryer climate like in Beijing (PRC). Even my hair did fine, too, in NL summer. Granted, while I was there, sun was a luxury.
    But high-heat summer like in Malta, Greece, Jakarta (ID), which are seriously stickily humid just turn my hair into a poofy-frizzball.

I don't think I have ever been anywhere that has dry-heat, though.

What is it with seabreeze humidity and mountainous one, really? I'm lost.

(by GoosefootPrints)

Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Research your dew points/ humidity and find out for sure the porosity of your hair (get a microscope analysis if necessary).

My hair is overly porous due to being colour treated, it does well with more hydrolysed protein (film forming humectant) in summer and more oils (occlusive) in winter.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    frckls wrote: »

Hmmmm. I don't know if mine really has anything to do with humidity. I tend to think it's just the cold wind.
    It does fine in the cold humidity (and wind!) of the Netherlands, Malta, Copenhagen (DK), Oslo (NO) or any other seaside places, just as well as the dryer climate like in Beijing (PRC). Even my hair did fine, too, in NL summer. Granted, while I was there, sun was a luxury.
    But high-heat summer like in Malta, Greece, Jakarta (ID), which are seriously stickily humid just turn my hair into a poofy-frizzball.

I don't think I have ever been anywhere that has dry-heat, though.

What is it with seabreeze humidity and mountainous one, really? I'm lost.

Haha strangely I live in Greece but 2 places are not the same at all even on the same country and by humidity I mean dews. On high dews on a country place my hair was amazing. On low dews and a hot place my hair was not as curly and was getting so easily dehydrated.
    I can't tell why lol.

HG
    CG since Feb 2014
    I shall be watching dewpoints and relative humidity from now on. Tonight's dew point was 24C and 89% humidity. We're barely surviving without AC! It's so sticky that I want to just stay in cold shower.

I read a post on IAgirl's blog about hair porosity. While microscopic test would be hard to do, based on her post, my hair would be more normal-po than low. It is also easily agitated by heat, hence more protein would be better in the summer?

I read here and there and finally starting to get a grasp on things. I shall map out a strategical battle plan for summer days!
    (by GoosefootPrints)

I shall be watching dewpoints and relative humidity from now on. Tonight's dew point was 24C and 89% humidity. We're barely surviving without AC! It's so sticky that I want to just stay in cold shower.

I read a post on IAgirl's blog about hair porosity. While microscopic test would be hard to do, based on her post, my hair would be more normal-po than low. It is also easily agitated by heat, hence more protein would be better in the summer?

I read here and there and finally starting to get a grasp on things. I shall map out a strategical battle plan for summer days!

You could always order an analysis on etsy. For me it was a savior as I was treating my hair wrong.
    This was the dews we had on the place that my hair was it's best. Low temperature with high humidity. I dunno why my hair was frizz free under that weather.

HG
    CG since Feb 2014

Haha strangely I live in Greece but 2 places are not the same at all even on the same country and by humidity I mean dews. On high dews on a country place my hair was amazing. On low dews and a hot place my hair was not as curly and was getting so easily dehydrated.
    I can't tell why lol.

Ha! Now I can speak your dewpoint language (a bit)! :p
    I suppose my hair loves lower dewpoint. Malta has little low dew point days and the more it hikes the funnier my hair looks! I'm starting to suspect the coarse feel is due to the sun exposure. Once I get indoor, my hair feels smoother again.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

I can't tell why lol.

Ha! Now I can speak your dewpoint language (a bit)! :p
    I suppose my hair loves lower dewpoint. Malta has little low dew point days and the more it hikes the funnier my hair looks! I'm starting to suspect the coarse feel is due to the sun exposure. Once I get indoor, my hair feels smoother again.

Yays dew point language knowledge!
    I think it is temperature that defines it?? Honestly I was so terrified of the humidity that my hair was laughing at me all curly and springy. My bf classified me as a 3a and he knows nothing about hair. But the place I live has high heat with low dews. Like desert. It is soooooooooo annoying and frustrating.

HG
    CG since Feb 2014
    You could always order an analysis on etsy. For me it was a savior as I was treating my hair wrong.
    This was the dews we had on the place that my hair was it's best. Low temperature with high humidity. I dunno why my hair was frizz free under that weather.

Woah! I never knew such thing exists! It will save a loot of time and money. I've gone through it with my skincare. Took me 3 years and a fortune to finally streamline the perfect routine for my skin. And I can skip all that with my hair with only a bit less than €20!

I shall start collecting my fallen strands!
    I think it is temperature that defines it?? Honestly I was so terrified of the humidity that my hair was laughing at me all curly and springy. My bf classified me as a 3a and he knows nothing about hair. But the place I live has high heat with low dews. Like desert. It is soooooooooo annoying and frustrating.

Hmm my weather app says humidity is the amount of water vapor suspended in the air. I don't know how that differs to relative humidity or relates to dew point from that. Quite different from what I've been reading, but that's actually the elaboration of humidity as I understood until recently.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Woah! I never knew such thing exists! It will save a loot of time and money. I've gone through it with my skincare. Took me 3 years and a fortune to finally streamline the perfect routine for my skin. And I can skip all that with my hair with only a bit less than €20!

I shall start collecting my fallen strands!

Hmm my weather app says humidity is the amount of water vapor suspended in the air. I don't know how that differs to relative humidity or relates to dew point from that. Quite different from what I've been reading, but that's actually the elaboration of humidity as I understood until recently.

I use accu weather app on android that gives me dew point. And I have to say my analysis was the best thing I did. I think I will do one when all my hair transitions fully from the damage. My hair feels better than it used to it's obvious so after you learn the basics you will understand any changes. Don't fear touching your hair as it will help you identify changes.

HG
    CG since Feb 2014
    I just found a helpful explanation to that. What's the difference between Humidity and Relative Humidity? | Weather FAQs

Not to worry. I don't find any difficulties whatsoever touching my hair. LOL. With this heat, I've been suffocating my curls in a bun or ponytail or braid. I can't stand having hairs sticking at the back of my neck. That's how I realized it feels coarse when I'm under the sun and soft again when I'm back indoors.
    I gotta get that test soon!

Thanks a lot for the help and advice, curlies! Just a few exchanges of posts made me feel a bit more educated!
    (by GoosefootPrints)

I just found a helpful explanation to that. What's the difference between Humidity and Relative Humidity? | Weather FAQs

Not to worry. I don't find any difficulties whatsoever touching my hair. LOL. With this heat, I've been suffocating my curls in a bun or ponytail or braid. I can't stand having hairs sticking at the back of my neck. That's how I realized it feels coarse when I'm under the sun and soft again when I'm back indoors.
    I gotta get that test soon!

Thanks a lot for the help and advice, curlies! Just a few exchanges of posts made me feel a bit more educated!

Even with the language barrier I was able to understand as well!!! Thank you very much!

Oh also try a high pineapple or top bun! You will get a root lift immediately. I myself hate my fuzzy curls on my neck and back.

HG
    CG since Feb 2014

Oh also try a high pineapple or top bun! You will get a root lift immediately. I myself hate my fuzzy curls on my neck and back.

I love high ponytail or top bun and it does give me a root lift. I just hate it that it kinda mushes and breaks up the curls closer to the roots. I still rather have that than having it stuck on the back of my neck, though. :mrgreen:
    (by GoosefootPrints)

I don't pull too much. I kinda stuck it on my scalp and use a satin scrunchie. It doesn't hold that well.but it doesn't mess with my curls exactly for that reason.

HG
    CG since Feb 2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list