Is achieving clumps AND volume impossible?

frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have medium-fine, low porosity, low density, 2c hair. I'm new to CG and still experimenting, but I've found out how hard it is to achieve both nice clumping and volume.

The best method I find best for gorgeous clumps thus far is squish-to-condish with some passionate scrunching, low-plop, minimum raking and little-to-none brushing. But my top lays flat to my head.

I tried vertical squishing and I got stringy hair. The same happened when I incorporated brush or rake my hair more than usual. Plopping got me a bit of volume on my crown, but it makes my curls stringy-looking and I ended up with scalps showing on my crown, unless I fluff more and I'd end up with beach-hair (which is nice when I want to have my hair looks like it). I tried flipping my head but flipping-back destroys the clumps. Clipping with small jaw clamps doesn't help much either.

Seriously, does THE method to get nice clumps and volume even exist for wavy, thin-haired girls?? :sad5:
2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
(by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile

Comments

• geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    I have not had very good luck with wash day volume, although the clips do help me more. Honestly the best I can hope for, like my avvie, is for second or third day hair to emerge from the pineapple without needing much extra spritzing and product. I think my cat teases my hair in my sleep, though, so maybe that's helping! lol

Have you tried diffusing? I don't do it myself, but I'd imagine it's more effective for volume than air drying when it comes to fine hair. I just can't be bothered. ;p
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    To be honest, I left all my styling tools to my sisters, including hairdryer (so stupid). The only one I kept was only a small straightener for my flyaways that I haven't touched for 3-mos now.

Even if I have a diffuser, I don't think I can be bothered with it, at this time of year especially. It's way too hot (the weather) and makes me sweat and only contributes more in making my curls frizz and breaking up the curls. :/
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There are multiple methods for clipping or otherwise volumising hair, but if you do everything right side up from washing to air drying you likely are going to sacrifice volume compared to working upside down at least part of the time.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdLbUCP-6QY8me5xA8ZDktZ_Hcctevf0E

Blow drying doesn't have to be hot and sweaty if you have a hair dryer with a cold setting. Some like a diffuser attachment, some use a soft hood attachment even 'plopping' into it. I could sweat internationally if it were an Olympic sport but certain styling products (eg. mousses) diffuser dry faster than others so require way less heat on my scalp. The more clumping (eg. gels) the longer hair takes to diffuser dry tho ...
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    I actually already saved your playlist when I was researching about clipping. It was a great one. Thanks!

Anyways, metals often creates unwanted kinks on my hair, so I shopped for a whole lot of different sizes plastic jaw clips yesterday. I figured the ones I had and used probably were not enough for different spots and lifts. So, we'll see. :)

It's been long since my obsession with hair tools. I'm a bit lost which hairdyer should I get. Plus, the options are limited in here. The brands easy to find, from the cheapest to the priciest are Babyliss, Remington and Braun- in that order. And I didn't see any Tourmaline-treated among them, although all are with ceramic and has ionic mode. Any rec?
    (by GoosefootPrints)

• justcurliesjustcurlies Posts: 38Registered Users
    I get more volume when I diffuse my hair upside down and if I don't stop diffusing when it's 80% dry - sometimes I diffuse until 100% dry and I definitely get visibly more volume this way.

However, you need to be careful of your curls becoming frizzy - you best use a styler that leaves you with a gel cast (=less frizz) and then scrunch out the crunch! For me it works great with the moptop medium hold gel.

www.justcurly.com

My blog is all about curls: Curly tips, curly hairstyles, curly product reviews, curly fashion and curly lifestyle!
    www.justcurly.com

My blog is all about curls: Curly tips, curly hairstyles, curly product reviews, curly fashion and curly lifestyle!
  • HaileyRHaileyR Posts: 98Registered Users
    For me, the only way to achieve volume and clumps is LOTS of effort with my "for special occasion" products, a diffuser, and just pure luck.

Other than that, this is a mission Ive been trying to complete since Ive gone curly girl. I get great clumps first day, then great volume my 2nd and third day but never both
    High Porosity
    Fine
    Dense
    2c-3b
    HaileyR wrote: »
    For me, the only way to achieve volume and clumps is LOTS of effort with my "for special occasion" products, a diffuser, and just pure luck.

Other than that, this is a mission Ive been trying to complete since Ive gone curly girl. I get great clumps first day, then great volume my 2nd and third day but never both
    Mission nearly impossible, eh? Best volume I've gotten thus far was by IceQueen Method and then clipping the roots. BUT. The flipping back disrupted the clumps a bit and root clipping is tricky since the clips kept sliding down and I kept having to readjust, hence the broken curls and frizz-halo at my crown. Not exactly the look I've always envisioned. :confused3:
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file