Shampoo

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users
I've been using a low poo shampoo weekly to get rid of product buildup throughout the week. Weirdly tho, Idk if it's the shampoo my hair doesn't like or I put in a little too much curl cream afterwards or what, but my hair is always dry/frizzy/kinda greasy looking on shampoo day.

On the other hand, on deep condition day, it's just fine.

How often do you guys shampoo? Do you pair it with any products? Should I just not shampoo as often?
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    Either you *are* overdoing the curl cream, like you suspect, OR your hair just doesn't need as much surfactant action as you're giving it. Even though the sulfate-free shampoos are gentler, surfactants still strip oil from your head, and it's possible that your scalp goes into oil-making overdrive trying to compensate. If you're cowashing on other days, maybe it's just too much washing in a single week.

Do you use conditioner after the low-poo on those days? If not, I'd add that step first... maybe your hair is just absorbing the styling cream too readily and needs more of a protective "shell". If you do, maybe it's time to shampoo less often.

I have a bottle of sulfate shampoo that I keep around in case of emergencies, but I've only used it once in the last few months... otherwise, cowash/leave-in/(sometimes styling milk and/or cream)/gel as a routine has been pretty good to me.
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users
    I do condition after I low-poo. When you low poo, do you condition, low poo and then condition again? Or do you use stylers for that purpose?

Maybe I don't need to low poo as often as I thought and I should just save it for when my hair really needs a cleanse. (In that case, I'd probably just use a sulfate shampoo). Also, is cowashing considered washing the same way shampooing is?
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes. The conditioner I use to cowash will foam in my hands after I've used it on my hair. But I only use a sulfate shampoo once a month when my hair really needs a cleaning. On that day, I don't cowash but deep condition. If I go to the salon on that day, I get a steam treatment which I love. Low poos will dry out my hair more than a regular shampoo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file