Hair Losing Definition

jenjen182jenjen182 Posts: 32Registered Users
My hair is 2c, with some 2a and 2b mixed in near the back, with low porosity. I am not on the CG routine, my hair just decided to become curly due to layers cut into it. I've been using the John Frieda Frizz-Ease Dream Curls Daily Styling Spray which I really love because it makes my waves into nice thick spiral curls, but I find myself constantly scrunching my hair. Like throughout the day, just scrunching self-consciously. And when I look in the mirror I feel like the curls are less defined... I don't know maybe it's just me. Does going CG help define curls? And are there other ways to keep curls defined?

Thanks!
Mostly 2c hair, with a little mix of 2b to the back. Not on the CG method yet, but plan on going on it ASAP.
SHAMPOO: Paul Mitchell Lemon Clarifying
CONDITIONER: John Frieda Frizz-Ease Smooth
DEEP CONDITIONER: Organix Morrocan Oil Cream
STYLING: Garnier Sleek and Shine Serum, John Frieda Frizz-Ease Dream Curls Daily Styling Spray, and Suave Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well you can get some build up which will cause this. Touching and scrunching doesn't help. There are certainly other products to try. I'm not familiar with this one. However in general you usually need some kind if gel on top to keep definition. You might see if you can find some la looks gels and experiment (as they are cheap and if you utterly hate it no big loss). What do you wash and condition with? How do you apply your product?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • jenjen182jenjen182 Posts: 32Registered Users
    I shampoo with Paul Mitchell's Lemon Clarifying Shampoo, condition with John Frieda Frizz-Ease Smooth Start Conditioner, deep condition with the Organix Morrocan Oil Hair Mask, and use the Garnier Sleek and Shine and John Frieda Dream Curls Daily Styling Spray to style. For the shampoo, I just use the pads of my fingers to massage it into my scalp and the back of my head, then rinse each section while massaging into the water. I put conditioner about 2 inches up my hair from the ends, and let it sit for 5 minutes before rinsing, repeating the same thing with the hair mask except I put that all over. Then I get out of the shower, blot my hair with a microfiber towel, and smooth my hands over my whole head with the Garnier Sleek and Shine Serum, then spray the John Frieda Dream Curls Spray all over. I flip my hair upside down and gently scrunch with the microfiber towel, then a couple times with my fingers, and air-dry.

I really don't like gels because they tend to somewhat flatten my head, so my curls just lay in front, not layering over each other, but in a big crunchy feeling line, so to speak. I hope that wasn't too confusing :)
    Mostly 2c hair, with a little mix of 2b to the back. Not on the CG method yet, but plan on going on it ASAP.
    STYLING: Garnier Sleek and Shine Serum, John Frieda Frizz-Ease Dream Curls Daily Styling Spray, and Suave Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well that could also depend on the gel. What have you tried? Your technique sounds great. Also, you might look to try out a curl definer. Do you need to stick to drugstore? I mean it's possible you need more than one curl thing in rotation. Hair can get a little tired of one thing and weather changes so you may need a different thing depending on that.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • a curly qa curly q Posts: 248Registered Users
    jenjen182 wrote: »
    I put conditioner about 2 inches up my hair from the ends, and let it sit for 5 minutes before rinsing, repeating the same thing with the hair mask except I put that all over.

Am I right in understanding that you put the mask on as well as the conditioner? It might be that your hair is getting weighed down - the conditioning as well as the serum could both add to that. Have you tried just the mask or just the conditioner?

On another note, I'm intrigued by the Lemon Clarifying shampoo! I love lemon smells and I'm imagining this delicious smelling shampoo :laughing4:
    2b, medium, lots of them
    CG: 21 Apr 08, Mod CG: 24 Aug 08
    My blog: Can't Stop Thinking About Hair
  • jenjen182jenjen182 Posts: 32Registered Users
    Hmm, I guess I didn't think of using either the mask or the conditioner! I will definitely try using one of them and see how that works.
    And ha ha, the lemon clarifying shampoo. It sounds fantastic right? It smells amazing and really clears up my hair after using all this product! :)
    So last night I showered, and after spraying in my John Frieda frizz ease dream curls daily styling spray, I put in a little bit of the suave captivating curls mousse, which seemed to help define the curls and give them better hold. Then, before I went to bed I dry plopped my hair and was amazed with the results! It kept my curls looking like first day, nice and defined, definitely not smashed. I think I'll be doing that from now on!
  • a curly qa curly q Posts: 248Registered Users
    Excellent! It's good to hear that you found something that works for you :)
    2b, medium, lots of them
    CG: 21 Apr 08, Mod CG: 24 Aug 08
    My blog: Can't Stop Thinking About Hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file