Can hair DNA change?

gardencurlsgardencurls Posts: 573Registered Users
I thought we have the same DNA programming our entire lives, so I'm really confused about my hair.

My natural hair type is 3b "corkscrews" (my hair spirals more and more the longer it gets). Some sections behave like 3c hair, especially in humid climates.

I've been covering my emerging gray hairs for many years, with demi-permanent coloring. Sometimes the grays didn't cover completely, but I had enough regular color to make them relatively invisible. They were "silvery" gray.

The last couple of months my grays have been growing in like gangbusters, but they are nothing like the grays I've seen emerge over the years. The new hairs and more "white" and they don't "curl", but tightly zig-zag in uneven patterns. They don't want to follow they're curl "families", but each hair sticks out in different ways. I can deal with the different curl pattern, eventually, but at this point these gray hairs will not take hair color! I've tried demi-permanent, and permanents with 10, 20, and 30 volume developer. With stronger developer I do get a little better gray coverage, but on quite a few of the hairs, the coloring washes out as if it I'd used temporary hair color. My hair is also growing in really thick since BC 3 years ago (some of the hairs on the crown of my head were about 1" long). Since I hadn't known my real texture for over 25 years prior to that, I wasn't sure what to expect, but my grays kept with the program until recently.

Is this normal? Should I tell my doctor? I don't know if gray hair usually misbehaves or if my hair is trying to tell me something about my health.
If it's normal, I'll just start hanging around the 4b/c board and plan for some fun new hairstyles.
3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know if it's "normal," but I can tell you that I had the same experiences with coloring a few years ago. Ultimately, it's what made me decide to let it be and embrace the silver. My hair refused to take color, and if it did, it would not last. It didn't matter whether it was the cheap drugstore boxes, high dollar beauty supply dye, or at the hairdressers, it would spit it off! Basically, I gave up. There's been several posts regarding the change in structure of gray/whites/silvers, thus the change in your hair. Check out the "Going Gray" space. I say, embrace it! It sounds like it's headed for something truly gorgeous!
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The few gray hairs I have seem to be in more of a zig zag pattern, and they have more shrinkage. Especially if i am experiencing frizz or fly aways. They are the first double over and take off. I do think your hair DNA can change to some extent and based on what I have read, it is not fully understood. Perhaps the curly genes recess and progress. Perhaps we have some scalp and follicle changes that sometimes accompany gray hair. I am really not sure.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think gray hair growing in as a different texture is an example of DNA "changing." It's just like the elasticity or texture of your skin changing as you age. Those changes are just a function of getting old and were already programmed to do that from conception.

I recently found my first gray hair and was horrified...supercoarse and wiry and was noticeably different from my normal super fine wimpy curls...until I yanked it right out. Not happy but I think it's common.

• gardencurlsgardencurls Posts: 573Registered Users
    I am relieved to know that this isn't something weird going on with my scalp or something like that! If my hair quits taking color altogether it will look awkward for a couple of months but it's certainly not the end of the world, My sister in law quit coloring her hair about 6 months ago, and she has beautiful, thick, sleek white hair. She never got compliments on her hair in her life until she let let it go white!

I didn't put two and two together as far as skin changes/hair changes, but, I understand hair changes better now. My husband has a lot of gray (it's actually white, not "gray") and I took a close look as his individual, poker straight hair strands. When I looked for it, I noticed a few "wiry" hairs on his head as well. Maybe this happens to lots of people, but I never stared at anyone's gray hair enough to notice, lol.
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes it's pretty common that gray and white hairs grow out coarse and wiry, regardless of your natural texture. I agree with Spiderlashes that this isn't a change in DNA.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair "DNA" doesn't change - its texture does as one ages. Some notice their grey hairs are finer and thinner, others notice that they are more wiry/coarse, or with little kinks in them(that tend to dull shine because of all those little bendy areas).
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Does anyone actually have gray strands?? I thought all"gray" hair is actually white hair intermixing w/ the dark color and creating a salt & pepper look that, from a distance, seems "gray."

My step-dad has true "gray" hair. It's not "silver" because it's not shiny...very coarse. It's called "steel gray", I think. My Mom's grays are ash-gray, (but she colors her hair).

article-2320019-19A37F82000005DC-885_634x422.jpg

FreshlightSugarAsh018.jpg
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    how does your mom color her hair to ash gray? what is her natural color now?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Sorry - I meant she colors over her ash-gray. Her hair was dark-brown black. My father's hair was black, but when he stared getting gray his turned white. Step-dad's hair was dark brown.

I think gray-white-silver hair is beautiful.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i was re-reading the tonya's article, "you found a gray hair, now what," and came across this:

"Once melanocytes are no longer manufacturing melanin, they die. Their absence sometimes causes the follicle to change shape slightly, which results in a slightly different shape for subsequent hairs that grow from that follicle. This is important, because the geometry of a hair strand is a significant contributing factor to the curl pattern, or lack thereof, for that hair. This explains why the texture of some gray hairs often varies significantly from the rest of the hair."

this article bears rereading by anyone who has gray hair, whether you continue to color it or not. so much great info, explains so much!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file