2nd day hair

DKHDKH Posts: 19Registered Users
Hey curlies,
Mind sharing your 2nd day hair routine?
I'm somewhat new to the CG method and haven't yet gotten the hang of 2nd day hair.
Maybe it's because my hair needs to adjust to this new method?
My 2nd day hair just seems knotty and feels coarse. I spray some water with conditioner in it in the morning; however, it doesn't refresh my curls without looking frizz free.
Any and all tips and routines welcome!
Thanks!

Comments

• geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    How are you styling on your first day?

Do you pineapple and/or sleep on satin or silk?

If all of that is in line and you're still having tangles, it might be that your hair isn't getting enough moisture... what do you use for leave-in? just kicking around ideas.
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I pineapple and I almost always spritz down liberally and and back in some LI and styler. Sometimes the same as the first day. Or I have a couple if quickie products that don't work for me first day but are great to perk it up. One is Ouidad Texture Taffy. Sometimes just LI and more gel or curl activator. Not usually both or it'll be too heavy with previous day product. If it looks decent but puffy, I put a few drops of Argan oil on my hands and rub them together and rake my hands through to just "settle" it
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • DKHDKH Posts: 19Registered Users
    How are you styling on your first day?

Do you pineapple and/or sleep on satin or silk?

If all of that is in line and you're still having tangles, it might be that your hair isn't getting enough moisture... what do you use for leave-in? just kicking around ideas.

After my rinse out conditioner, I rake, smooth and scrunch leave in, sometimes oil and then gel. I scrunch with a cotton tshirt and then plop for 10 minutes. Sometimes air dry, sometimes diffuse. I've just started to get the hang of diffusing so I've been experimenting with that more often.
    Luckily, I have the whole summer off (I'm a teacher), so I've been trying and experimenting with different products and techniques to get my hair to a desirable curl. Day one hair looks great! Day two hair, eh, not so much!

I do pineapple and seeing as how I live in Canada, I've noticed it's impossible to buy a satin sleep bonnet anywhere other than online, so I've been covering my pillowcase in a satin scarf instead.
    My hair just doesn't feel soft and is so knotty for 2nd day hair. I often result to simply re-wetting my hair and starting all over again!

I use Down Under conditioner as a leave in - saw on a vlog from a curly girl Canadian (many vlogs I watch suggest products that I just can't get where I am)
  • DKHDKH Posts: 19Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »
    I pineapple and I almost always spritz down liberally and and back in some LI and styler. Sometimes the same as the first day. Or I have a couple if quickie products that don't work for me first day but are great to perk it up. One is Ouidad Texture Taffy. Sometimes just LI and more gel or curl activator. Not usually both or it'll be too heavy with previous day product. If it looks decent but puffy, I put a few drops of Argan oil on my hands and rub them together and rake my hands through to just "settle" it

How much do you spritz down? Just on the surface? And do you scrunch in your leave in and styler?
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Quite a lot. To get clumping back I need water in there. But not to the scalp. And it isn't shower wet.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • hallamaahallamaa Posts: 22Registered Users
    My routine seems similar to yours, I spray my hair fairly damp with spray bottle and then diffuse and scrunch out the crunch, just like I do after regular washings.

I have noticed that the wetter I spray my hair, the more it resembles the less frizzy waves I get after washing. Also scrunching hair with soaked wet t-shirt or doing the supersoaker-method eliminates frizz better (but also takes longer to dry, but I diffuse anyways because my hair is ridiculously flat at the roots if I don't). Have you tried those methods for 2nd day hair? I know it still takes some time with the drying part but I guess you can't have it all, at least you don't need to spend any time on the hair in the shower.
    2A fine wavy hair. Hates silicones, polyquats and too much oil, loves protein and glycerine.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to pineapple, but I don't any more because I find it can make my hair look a bit thin in the mornings. Surprisingly, it worked much better when my hair was shorter! Weird.

Anyway, I sleep with my hair loose, on a silk pillow case. In the morning I just apply some leave-in to strands that look a bit undefined, and twist them around my finger, to re-moisturise them and encourage the curls back a bit.

If my hair looks especially crappy that day, I'll re-wet those strands and apply a bit of gel.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Instead of spritzing your hair with water, try cupping the water and patting onto your hair - much less frizz that way. I don't think we will be 100% frizz free all the time, but at least you can do things to make it better.

My hair tends to straighten out while I sleep, so 2nd day most of the time I'll pat my hair down with water, then apply a thin layer of conditioner, then follow with my KCCC, scrunch and air dry or diffuse.

On the very odd occasion, my curls keep enough that I just spread in a very very light hold jelly (Sevi) to tame down the frizz and separate my curls a bit.

I sleep on a satin pillowcase. No pineapple or cap, they've always failed me.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sixelamy wrote: »
    Instead of spritzing your hair with water, try cupping the water and patting onto your hair - much less frizz that way.

Second! My hair hates the spritizing thing with a passion. I just wet my hands and then smooth them onto my hair in order to wet my hair. Works much better!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • jenjen182jenjen182 Posts: 32Registered Users
    I pineapple at night then wrap my hair very gently into a loose top knot and secure with a scrunchie. I have such long hair pineappling just won't hold it :(

Since I shower at night, I technically consider my 2nd day hair to be 1st day hair, lol. Anyway, I wake up and gently shake my hair out. It's usually a little flat but the wavy curls are still there, so I spritz with my preferred daily scrunching spray and scrunch a couple times till the definition returns. I pretty much do this every morning and my hair can last several days between showers :)
    Mostly 2c hair, with a little mix of 2b to the back. Not on the CG method yet, but plan on going on it ASAP.
    SHAMPOO: Paul Mitchell Lemon Clarifying
    CONDITIONER: John Frieda Frizz-Ease Smooth
    DEEP CONDITIONER: Organix Morrocan Oil Cream
    STYLING: Garnier Sleek and Shine Serum, John Frieda Frizz-Ease Dream Curls Daily Styling Spray, and Suave Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file