New curly girl!

NurseAngelaNurseAngela Posts: 7Registered Users
Hi everyone!
I am new to the curly girl method, and I am so confused. I have 2C hair with low porosity, no color and very little heat damage. I moved to Florida at the beginning of the year and had a very hard time keeping my hair straight in the humidity. I tried sulfate free shampoos since it makes the frizzy hair worse in the humidity, but got bad build up until I read that I shouldn't be using silicones with sulfate free shampoo. Then last month I gave up on my straight hair completely and decided to go curly. I bought the devacurl trial set & towel and read the curly girl handbook. I still had a lot of build up (even though I had clarified with a sulfate shampoo right before I started) so I switched to devacare on my friends advice (she heard it caused less build up?) and did the quinoa mixed with the devacare shampoo like the book suggested. It was a little better, but I still had a little build up.
Yesterday I decided to get my hair cut because the cut for my long straight hair didn't look right with my curls. I went to a guy with 50+ 5 star reviews on here and my hair looked great. So I bought the products he used (he didn't push them on me at all) but I'm afraid to keep using them because of the ingredients. A couple of them have cones, but they're from the AG line that has re:coil which I had seen mentioned here as a good one.
His routine after washing that I bought:
AG fast food, re:coil, a very generous amount of Paul Mitchell sculpting foam, then a small amount of AG set it straight on the ends.
After rereading his reviews, lots of people liked his system, which confuses me because it has a lot of "bad" ingredients. I feel like I have more build up, but it might just be all in my head since you can't get a lot of build up with just one use, right? But I'll still be using my devacare shampoo & conditioner, so it won't really wash away these things. I don't really want to use a harsh shampoo though, unless you guys say otherwise. It all cost a lot of money so I have to decide soon if I want to return them.
What do you guys think?
Thanks so much for your help, and I apologize if I'm asking the same questions as the last 50 newbies. It was overwhelming trying to search through the threads! :)

Comments

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Hi everyone!
    I am new to the curly girl method, and I am so confused. I have 2C hair with low porosity, no color and very little heat damage. I moved to Florida at the beginning of the year and had a very hard time keeping my hair straight in the humidity. I tried sulfate free shampoos since it makes the frizzy hair worse in the humidity, but got bad build up until I read that I shouldn't be using silicones with sulfate free shampoo. Then last month I gave up on my straight hair completely and decided to go curly. I bought the devacurl trial set & towel and read the curly girl handbook. I still had a lot of build up (even though I had clarified with a sulfate shampoo right before I started) so I switched to devacare on my friends advice (she heard it caused less build up?) and did the quinoa mixed with the devacare shampoo like the book suggested. It was a little better, but I still had a little build up.
    Yesterday I decided to get my hair cut because the cut for my long straight hair didn't look right with my curls. I went to a guy with 50+ 5 star reviews on here and my hair looked great. So I bought the products he used (he didn't push them on me at all) but I'm afraid to keep using them because of the ingredients. A couple of them have cones, but they're from the AG line that has re:coil which I had seen mentioned here as a good one.
    AG fast food, re:coil, a very generous amount of Paul Mitchell sculpting foam, then a small amount of AG set it straight on the ends.
    After rereading his reviews, lots of people liked his system, which confuses me because it has a lot of "bad" ingredients. I feel like I have more build up, but it might just be all in my head since you can't get a lot of build up with just one use, right? But I'll still be using my devacare shampoo & conditioner, so it won't really wash away these things. I don't really want to use a harsh shampoo though, unless you guys say otherwise. It all cost a lot of money so I have to decide soon if I want to return them.
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks so much for your help, and I apologize if I'm asking the same questions as the last 50 newbies. It was overwhelming trying to search through the threads! :)

Hi! Good to have you here!

I lived in S. FL for 13 years, 8+ of them doing CG and I can tell you part of the problems with buildup is that the water there is hard and the minerals interact with many of the ingredients in some products creating a tough film BUT ALSO people with low porosity hair are usually more prone to buildup, but that is not to say you cannot do the CG method there, at least in a modified way.

My best advice to you is to return the products with 'cones because even if other people have good results with them the truth is that they don't have any afinity with the nature of hair and skin and in order to keep them healthy I believe it's best to stick a little closer to what nature gave us in the first place, which is the sebum that comes out of our scalp and that we so diligently try to get rid of.

The truth is that the Deva line, despite belonging to the creator of the CG method, does not work well for a good many people so you may eventually have to phase them out. I haven't read the labels of the Devacare products lately but if there's amodimethicone in them there's your problem right there.

In the meantime, you may have to clarify your hair regularly and see if that helps, you can try Lorraine Massey's own suggestion of using the "Lemon Aid" but if the amo'cone is the problem that might not help. In that case you may have to use a sulfate shampoo on occasion, but you can always dilute it to minimize the harshness of it and then follow with a co-wash (obviously not using the Deva but something else) and then reapply and rinse out lightly. The double conditioning will undo whatever frizz-causing ruffling of the cuticle the shampoo may have done.

Another little known way to remove 'cones from the hair without needing shampoo is to mix olive oil with about 10 drops of preferably a couple of different high terpene essential oils such as lemon, chamomile, or lavender for a DT done with at least 5-10 min. of initial heat, or overnight if you prefer. Then you can remove the whole bit with a couple of washes with a cheap Suave or VO5 CO. I've noticed that several of the VO5 COs contain some of the terpene alcohols (like my fave KLS) so you may want to try one to use on a regular basis.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• NurseAngelaNurseAngela Posts: 7Registered Users
    Thanks for your quick reply!
    My deva shampoo & conditioner do not have cones, I believe they phased them out awhile ago. I was thinking maybe I should switch to the low poo shampoo instead of the no poo one that I have now?

Is there any particular sulfate shampoo that would be good?
    I tried the link for the essential oils but it didn't work. Would any brand of oils work? I have a set already with a few of those.
    Hi everyone!
    What do you guys think?

Hi! Good to have you here!

I lived in S. FL for 13 years, 8+ of them doing CG and I can tell you part of the problems with buildup is that the water there is hard and the minerals interact with many of the ingredients in some products creating a tough film BUT ALSO people with low porosity hair are usually more prone to buildup, but that is not to say you cannot do the CG method there, at least in a modified way.

My best advice to you is to return the products with 'cones because even if other people have good results with them the truth is that they don't have any afinity with the nature of hair and skin and in order to keep them healthy I believe it's best to stick a little closer to what nature gave us in the first place, which is the sebum that comes out of our scalp and that we so diligently try to get rid of.

The truth is that the Deva line, despite belonging to the creator of the CG method, does not work well for a good many people so you may eventually have to phase them out. I haven't read the labels of the Devacare products lately but if there's amodimethicone in them there's your problem right there.

In the meantime, you may have to clarify your hair regularly and see if that helps, you can try Lorraine Massey's own suggestion of using the "Lemon Aid" but if the amo'cone is the problem that might not help. In that case you may have to use a sulfate shampoo on occasion, but you can always dilute it to minimize the harshness of it and then follow with a co-wash (obviously not using the Deva but something else) and then reapply and rinse out lightly. The double conditioning will undo whatever frizz-causing ruffling of the cuticle the shampoo may have done.

Another little known way to remove 'cones from the hair without needing shampoo is to mix olive oil with about 10 drops of preferably a couple of different high terpene essential oils such as lemon, chamomile, or lavender for a DT done with at least 5-10 min. of initial heat, or overnight if you prefer. Then you can remove the whole bit with a couple of washes with a cheap Suave or VO5 CO. I've noticed that several of the VO5 COs contain some of the terpene alcohols (like my fave KLS) so you may want to try one to use on a regular basis.

Hi again! I ended up getting a 'not your mothers' shampoo that didn't have SLS in it that got rid of the products (and returned those products with the cones like you said). I also bought the KLS VO5, and I loved how my hair did with it in Texas. But now that I'm back in Florida, I'm getting build up again. Do you have any other tips?
    Also, I have a set of shampoo and conditioner that I had bought at WF before I started CG, and it doesn't have any sulfates, silicones, or parabens in it. Would that be ok? The brand is Deep Steep, glossy smooth shampoo & conditioner.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a clarifying shampoo once a month on my low porosity hair and deep condition on that day too. Due to the high dew points in the summer in TX, I use gel to keep down frizz. I also use a hydrating conditioner to help my curls clump together. Most girls think their hair needs moisture when curls need more hydration than moisture.
    Well my hair did great in Texas, but I've come back home to Florida and it's difficult again. The previous poster had said it's because of the water in Florida. I was using Devacare no poo shampoo and one conditioner, but I got lots of build up with that. Now I'm using VO5 KLS as a co wash, and the DevaCurl gel, and sometimes the set it free spray for random frizzies. On second day hair I use the 'Mist'er right spray.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file