CG newbie in EU - 2B/C, medium texture & medium porosity - HALP

frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi! I'm a CG newbie with 2B/C wavies, too. I finally took the plunge with CG today after cleansing any build-ups from my previous routine of Suave Professional Moroccan Infusion hair care line.

I used a hotel shampoo I found in my bathroom drawer to clarify, then proceeded with Suave Natural Tropical Coconut to co-wash and Dr. Organic Pomegranate Conditioner as RO/LI on sopping wet hair, using squish condish method.

I felt that SNTC gave a lot of slip to my hair already, but I went on with the Dr.O anyway.

I later plopped my hair in flour sack towel for 20 minutes and left it to air-dry. But holy-moly, all my babyhairs are sticking out, my curls only look a tad more defined, and my ends still feel rather dry. I ended up pulling my hair into a ponytail and wrapping my whole head in a silk scarf, which helped a bit with the shine and frizz. In a nutshell, it's no beauty like the pictures floating around in Before-After thread.
I'm seriously lost if it's the protein in Suave, or the mega humidity in hear, or the humectant in Suave or not enough moisture or my hair just plainly sucks.

I avoided gel or mousse because I used them in the past and they made my curls crunchy, which I hate.

I did a lot of research before taking the plunge but I was seriously overwhelmed by the different methods and products. Plopping, no-plopping, IceQueen, comb-out, don't comb-out, SuperSoaker, etc. - I wanted to cry in desperation.
Plus, I now live in Malta where product selection is really lame. :/

This is my hair pre-CG (last night, actually). I'm dying to have my curls defined, softened and shine. Any advice would be highly appreciated!

14879795733_51eca4f52c.jpg
14859576372_986f0f3128.jpg
14859574132_d9d08a7557.jpg
14879789093_b11baf60d9.jpg
2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
(by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome. I know it can seem a bit overwhelming at first, but most of us have had to do a lot of experimenting at first to figure out what's right for us. I do think gel would help with your frizz issue, there's even a trick to deal with the crunch it gives your curls. That crunch helps to hold your curls in place while they dry, and once they're dry you can get rid of the crunch by gently scrunching them. I have no idea what styling products are available where you live, but a great option for people without a lot of local options is flax seed gel. It's easy to make yourself, gives a nice light hold that's easy to scrunch out once dry, and is quite healthy for your hair. There are a bunch of threads on it in the recipes section.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Serene! Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

I might give flaxseed gel a try. I should be able to find it in Holland & Barrett or some other health stores/section in supermarket.

By far, the CG safe brands/products I've spotted in here are Suave Naturals, some of Garnier, Franck Provost, Dr. Organic, some Giovanni, Australian Organics, North American Hemp Co., and A'kin.

I chose the products carefully after reading the ingredients, but then again I know it's all about trial and error. I just hate having too many products littering my bathroom. :p

Do you think sealing moisture with oil would help? I've got some sunflower, olive and grapeseed lying around. I'm also pondering to get Holland & Barrett Wonder Oil, if it actually can help.

What I'm mostly confused about atm is the difference between each drying and application method.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome! Do not be overwhelmed, start with the basic Curly Girl method (read the Handbook and/ or watch tutorials including Lorraine Massey's Devachan on YouTube) THEN add 'advanced' techniques one by one if you are not happy with the results.

You may well not have used enough leave in conditioner, and some sort of styler is essential for the majority of us. Commercial gels tend to leave hair crunchy if they are used on hair that is not conditioned sufficiently, or they are very hard hold in which case you 'scrunch out the crunch' when dry - very much part of the CG method.

As already stated many rate DIY flaxseed or okra jelly, more hold can be achieved by adding xanthan gum. You can also make your own flaxseed curl cream from the jelly and conditioner (see Sciencey Hairblog).
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    Hi Firefox! Thanks for the encouragement!

I figured what I've been doing is the basic stuff? I'm going grocery shopping in a bit and I'll definitely get flaxseed to make my own FSG or FSCC. I saw DormRoomCurly's (I'm pretty sure I've seen her ID here somewhere but I can't remember what was it) HG styling product is a Suave mousse, which I know I can find here. I saw it has Dimethicone, but I already have my no - poo-Lycia Delicate Intimate Wash (I actually used to use it as shampoo and body wash as well, but now just for face and feminine wash. It's so gentle!). So, now I'll have 2 styling products to try!

But I won't go near to okra under any circumstances. I'm not a picky eater, but it never fails to trigger my gag reflex. Ugh. Even just the thought of it makes me want to puke.

I might not use enough LI! My hair is of low/medium density and shoulder-length, how much of each product you suggest should be enough?
    (by GoosefootPrints)

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Making some fsg seems like a great start for sure. The great thing about it is that it's difficult to use too much, so you can experiment without being overly worried. The application and drying methods people use depend on the results they're looking for. Some want more volume, some want more defined curls that clump together, and how you apply and dry will contribute to that. A lot of these techniques are just styling choices. For now I'd stick with the routine you've already tried, with the addition of scrunching some gel through your wet hair before you plop, and see how that goes. As Firefox suggested, you should look up the curly girl handbook or the Diva styling videos. Many of us found the cg book a great starting point for developing our routines, and started playing with other techniques and things like that once we got used to the process.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
    frckls wrote: »
    Hi Firefox! Thanks for the encouragement!

I figured what I've been doing is the basic stuff? I'm going grocery shopping in a bit and I'll definitely get flaxseed to make my own FSG or FSCC. I saw DormRoomCurly's (I'm pretty sure I've seen her ID here somewhere but I can't remember what was it) HG styling product is a Suave mousse, which I know I can find here. I saw it has Dimethicone, but I already have my no - poo-Lycia Delicate Intimate Wash (I actually used to use it as shampoo and body wash as well, but now just for face and feminine wash. It's so gentle!). So, now I'll have 2 styling products to try!

But I won't go near to okra under any circumstances. I'm not a picky eater, but it never fails to trigger my gag reflex. Ugh. Even just the thought of it makes me want to puke.

I might not use enough LI! My hair is of low/medium density and shoulder-length, how much of each product you suggest should be enough?

You are not following the method until you are using a styling product, that is what I mean by the basics. Just keep adding more leave in conditioner every wash than the one before until you get the results closer to what you want, it varies widely from conditioner to conditioner and from head to head.

My hair takes way more than I can believe but it is colour treated and porous. I've often been convinced I have overdone things then my hair looks like I haven't used anything or pretty and defined (depending on which way the wind blows, the price of rice in China ....).

To remove dimethicone you would need a product rich in anionic surfactants such as sulphates or olefin sulfonates or cocoamidopropyl betaine. Also watch for polyquats, some of us have problems with build up from those. I also sometimes use the same product for body and face, or body and hair!!
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    SereneCurls I've watched the tutorial videos on DevaChan Salon's channel on Youtube. I haven't tried finding the book in here, though, but I will. :)

Firefox7275 Yea, you're right. I can't only dip my toe in, I guess I should take the plunge! My poor boyf will surely be confused with the changes in my hair in the coming weeks. LOL.
    Luckily enough, my mega-magic-wash has cocoamidopropyl betaine, but none of the harsher detergents. I think that'll be the only thing I truly miss if I ever leave this place. It's awesome.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Thanks a lot for the advice! My hair after the 2nd washing was MUCH better already. The curls are shiny, defined and soft, although left side and back are still a bit wonky. I've still got some frizz, too, albeit much less. Especially when my boyf got home and was awed by my hair and ran his fingers through my hair. Oops.

I made a batch of flaxseed gel with a few of grapeseed oil and I used a lot more condish to co-wash and RO, then squish to condish to (partially) rinse out my RO and did a low plop. I scrunched and wiggled the clumps out after it dried and smoothed flyaways with a drop of grapeseed oil.

I'm going to experiment with Scott Musgrave's MAP with a firm hold gel and mousse as the sealer for the next washes. So excited!

Thanks a lot again!!

14886639071_969eae3671.jpg
    14889683775_5130c45e2d.jpg
    14886632991_9f79cdfb79.jpg
    14889677165_8faf294c24.jpg
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Wowee!!

Now you have a baseline, try to make only ONE change (product or technique) every week or every wash if you are too imaptient. Then you can see what that does instead of changing multiple things and not knowing what is an epic fail or epic success.

LOL. That was one of the main reasons why I was hesitant to try CG many months ago. I've gone through "product-elimination" process with my skincare and I was way too lazy to have that again with the hair. But things are looking good and at least if something goes wrong I can pull my hair up and hope that my face doesn't get hives!

I might have to try Garnier for RO, though. One wash got me through 1/5 of a bottle of Dr. Organic condish. It's not pricey at all but EUR6.60 every two weeks isn't the cheapest, either.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file