GREASY hair

lisette3lisette3 Registered Users Posts: 16
Help! I have been sulfate-free for about 1.5 years now and use The Body Shop's Rainforest Moisture shampoo and V05 for conditioner. This combo has always worked for me, and I had gotten to the point where I only had to shampoo once or (at most) twice a week and could co-wash a couple times in between. I haven't been using products lately (last 1.5 weeks) because I've been lazy. My problem seemed to start when I went on vacation and the house we were staying in had a sulfur issue with the pipes (rotten egg smell and all that!). The showers also wouldn't stay warm for more than a minute. I'm thinking maybe I didn't get all the shampoo out? My friend and I both noticed that our hair felt way greasier than normal throughout the entire trip. I've been back for about 5 days now and washed my hair on Monday. Now it's Wednesday and it ALREADY is greasy at the scalp. I really don't know what to do. Does this sound like build-up? Should I use a clarifying shampoo? My question then would be does it take another few weeks for your scalp to re-adjust to not using a clarifying shampoo like it did the first time you go off sulfates? In another post I saw that I could use Yes To Cucumbers shampoo to clarify that that it didn't have to have sulfates. Should I try this? Thanks so much for any suggestions! This is so frustrating :/
CG since April 2013:cat:
2b medium with normal porosity

Comments

• chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    YOu can actually use a diluted sulfate shampoo as opposed to full strength that might work just as well. Try like 1 tbsp or even 2 teaspoons to a cup of water. That would probably be clarifying enough. And I would definitely try clarifying. If that doesn't work maybe you should even look at a chelating shampoo. Maybe there were minerals in the water that are causing and issue.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I second the chelating shampoo. When water is a problem it's often the minerals.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • lisette3lisette3 Registered Users Posts: 16
    Thanks!! Any suggestion for which chelating shampoo to try if clarifying doesn't work? To be honest, this is the first time I've even heard the term.
  • geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Registered Users Posts: 170
    another recent thread that ends up discussing a few products and/or "home remedies" to chelate: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/173856-porosity-curiosity.html
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • lisette3lisette3 Registered Users Posts: 16
    Awesome, thanks! I'll try the lemon wash tonight I think.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file