Products U Wish Ur hair Loved

adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
You know how you watch yt videos and soo many curlies love something but your hair hates but you really want to be in the "club". Until recently that was me and Ecostyler. I tried every color so hopeful and it was yuck until they reformulated.

Now it's
1. coconut oil. My hair is okay with it some times and revolted other. definitely not to be used alone.

2. Most Shea Moisture products. A few do well but the overwheling majority don't. I keep swearing not to buy anymore but the BOGO sales have me thinking maybe this one will be different. I the past I didn't like smoothies, yuuca milk, hibiscus milk. hibicus shampoo, restorative conditioner, elixer, that shine spritz I have been trying to kill off for years, the deep condtioner.. I got balance conditioner, souffle, and a mousse I'm not crazy about. I like the restorative shampoo I have but that's it.
Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Comments

• SweetRellieSweetRellie Posts: 468Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    1. I couldn't agree more when it comes to the Shea Moisture products. It's so easy to keep trying them because they're more readily available than other products plus they're always on sale.

2. Kinky Curly products: Idk if it's because I didn't know how to properly take care of my hair then or what but they were waaay to expensive and still didn't produce the results I wanted.

3. ACV: Hair felt okay... not necessarily dirty but not all that clean either. No sense in punishing myself with that awful scent and still not see any reults.
    Thick, highly porous but protein sensitive 4a hair
    Modified Curly Girl Method

Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    Shampoo: NYM Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Shampoo
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Leave-In: Maui Moisture's Curl Milk or Shea Butter Hair Mask
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
    Sealants: Maui Moisture's Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist
    Scalp Treatment: Alikay Naturals Hair & Scalp Balm; Essential 17 Growth Oil
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Kinky Curly Curling Custard . . . spent so much on that gel and just did not like it at all. Everyone kept saying how it was a miracle product and I was just like '-_- the only miracle is that I paid £21 for it and haven't killed anyone'

Also the Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie (Edit: accidentally wrote down the Soufflé before. Whoops!). . . I adore SM but this was just awful. It smelled SO BAD and my hair looked gross and lank.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • SweetRellieSweetRellie Posts: 468Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Kinky Curly Curling Custard . . . spent so much on that gel and just did not like it at all. Everyone kept saying how it was a miracle product and I was just like '-_- the only miracle is that I paid £21 for it and haven't killed anyone'

Also the Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Soufflé . . . I adore SM but this was just awful. It smelled SO BAD and my hair looked gross and lank.

I didn't like either of the products you listed and when I did an ingredient comparison last week, I discovered that they both have agave nectar in them. I think my hair hates that stuff. Either that or the glycerin could be your issue as well.
    Thick, highly porous but protein sensitive 4a hair
    Modified Curly Girl Method

Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    Shampoo: NYM Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Shampoo
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Leave-In: Maui Moisture's Curl Milk or Shea Butter Hair Mask
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
    Sealants: Maui Moisture's Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist
    Scalp Treatment: Alikay Naturals Hair & Scalp Balm; Essential 17 Growth Oil
    SweetRellie ohhh, thanks! I never even thought to compare ingredients to see if there was a common issue. Hmmm . . .

DC:

• pinkpostitheartpinkpostitheart Posts: 112Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    1. A LOT of SM's products, unfortunately...especially their masks and conditioners. In particular: Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie - Too thick, wouldn't emulsify. Doesn't moisturize.

2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil - by itself, this is awful. I can put this in some deep conditioners, but the idea of sealing or oil rinsing with this has me scared.

3. S-Curl Activator - My coils come out like you wouldn't believe...but the trade off is I have to wash my hair within 6 hours. If it's hot outside, I am so scared I'm gonna be like whats-his-face fancy-dude in Coming to America with his SoulGlo sitting down on a sofa. smh

And, don't hate me, but.....
    4. Kinky Curly Knot Today - I'm honestly mixing this with other products so I can just get rid of it. =x Overrated.

5. Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle - I don't get it. No major slip. Smells like old Christmas candy. Tingles a tiny bit. I dare say I could use my leftover Pantene conditioner and produce similar results.

event.png

Last Relaxer: 12/24/2012
    Weekly Products I'm Using:
    Pantene Relaxed & Naturals Shampoo and Conditioner
    Blue Magic Hairdress
    Grapeseed Oil
    my hair is normal-ish porosity / dense / fine+medium strands
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Kinky Curly custard was a disaster that never dried and knot today was not anything special. But I don't mind since they are pricey.

IOh yeah my hair dislikes most curl creams, puddings and butters.
  • secret_karmasecret_karma Posts: 438Registered Users
    Same here. Shea Moisture didn't work for me either nor did KCCC. KCKT works sometimes but hasn't been working recently. Coconut oil doesn't work.

One thing that I wished work for me is Curl Junkie Curl Rehab. I'm trying a new method with a limited amount of allowable products and Rehab is one of them so I'm going to try it again and hope it works.
  • FrostiiLoveFrostiiLove Posts: 105Registered Users
    Coconut oil because it's in almost everything and this would give me a broader range of products to choose from.
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    She's moisture products
    Coconut oil
    Butters
    Panthenol
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • ldymrmldeldymrmlde Posts: 24Registered Users
    And, don't hate me, but.....

4. Kinky Curly Knot Today - I'm honestly mixing this with other products so I can just get rid of it. =x Overrated.

5. Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle - I don't get it. No major slip. Smells like old Christmas candy. Tingles a tiny bit. I dare say I could use my leftover Pantene conditioner and produce similar results.

Yes! I thought I was alone on the Knot Today. It made my hair feel dry and brittle. Definitely "knot" for me! haha...

And Trader Joe's Tea Tree cond - hmm, I will stick with my Giovanni Tea Tree Conditioner or Yes to Carrots.

I wish my hair loved coconut oil but alas, it doesn't, but I love using it on my body so there's a plus!

Aloe Vera - we have a love/hate relationship. We always break up to make up. I keep going back thinking something will change...
  • Zoey_SabsxoxZoey_Sabsxox Posts: 80Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wish my hair loved honey! I was trying to lighten the gold strands of my dark brown hair, and well honey did work but it straightened my hair! Everyone noticed and began telling me that I was loosing my curl. So I stopped. Now I'm still stuck with plain, dark brown hair.
  • Zoey_SabsxoxZoey_Sabsxox Posts: 80Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh and if your looking for a good oil try olive oil! I used to use coconut but idk one day it just didn't do my hair any good like it used to. It was still dry. Now I put olive oil on my hair and sleep on it, and voila
  • naiha1naiha1 Posts: 209Registered Users
    Almond jai twist butter, My hair was just like Meh..... I so wanted this to be phenomenal, all the awesome ingredients.

Coconut oil, favorite of sooo many naturals, just turns my hair into instant straw.

Anything from curl junkie, this was the most expensive hair fail of all time for me, just nothing worked :(
    Happy, Nappy, and Kinky 24/7!!
    4/b very coily
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    naiha1 wrote: »
    Almond jai twist butter, My hair was just like Meh..... I so wanted this to be phenomenal, all the awesome ingredients.

Coconut oil, favorite of sooo many naturals, just turns my hair into instant straw.

Anything from curl junkie, this was the most expensive hair fail of all time for me, just nothing worked :(

This is on my miss list for August. I'm hoping it works better in the Fall and Winter. But now it's meh for me too
  • pinkpostitheartpinkpostitheart Posts: 112Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wish my hair loved honey! I was trying to lighten the gold strands of my dark brown hair, and well honey did work but it straightened my hair! Everyone noticed and began telling me that I was loosing my curl. So I stopped. Now I'm still stuck with plain, dark brown hair.

Have you tried lemon juice for lightening before? I tried it last year, but I couldn't see anything super noticeable. I thought it'd be cool to have here-and-there coils that were lighter brown. Had no idea honey could do that O_O

event.png

Last Relaxer: 12/24/2012
    Weekly Products I'm Using:
    Pantene Relaxed & Naturals Shampoo and Conditioner
    Blue Magic Hairdress
    Grapeseed Oil
    my hair is normal-ish porosity / dense / fine+medium strands
  • JessiiLeighhJessiiLeighh Posts: 195Registered Users
    Shea Moisture shampoos. First of all, I hate the smells, and they LINGER! I have low porosity hair and they are loaded with Shea butter. They're gentle, but if I'm low pooing, I do NOT want to have to clarify too. To me, a low poo should be a relatively gentle product that helps you avoid the need to clarify. If I want to strip my hair once a month, I might as well cowash instead.
    :wav:
    3a, fine/med strand thickness, high density, low porosity
    CG since April 2012
    BC October 2012
    Cleanser: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey or CJ Daily Fix
    RO Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: Either Raw Curls Spray Gel, Raw Curls Medium Hold Gel, or MopTop Curly Custard, and always topped with Curlisto Control II Gel
    Sealer: Pure Argan Oil
  • anissafersureanissafersure Posts: 255Registered Users
    One of the biggest disappointments I've had was when my hair HATED the kinky curly curling custard. I tried it with the KCKT leave in, the curl enhancing smoothie, and many other things. No matter what I did, my hair still became extremely dry and frizzy. I wanted to love this product so much.

Another one that was a big let down was the Carol's Daughter Hair Mimosa Honey. I read a lot of great reviews on it and decided to try it, it have my hair such a nasty odor! Whenever I put it over any of my leave ins, my hair would get a dreadful smell the next day, I don't understand why.
  • SistapopdemcurlSistapopdemcurl Posts: 225Registered Users
    Anything with wheat protein. My hair hates it to the utmost.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CurlTalk App
  • WonderWallWonderWall Posts: 19Registered Users
    my hair might like it now, but i am not going to risk it.
    i wished my hair liked the shea moisture deep treatment mask...
    for some reason i remember my hair feeling dry even when i used a lot of it.
    my hair seem to like most things i put on it for some reason.
    Pre-Poo: Aleo/acv + oil
    Shampoo: Shampoo bar
    Conditiner: A Mix of things
    Leave-in: thick leave in/ butter
    Refresh: light leave in /water/oil
  • frizzinflafrizzinfla Posts: 190Registered Users

@BotticelliBrit - Agreed! Your post made me laugh :-). When I tried KCCC my stepdaughter told me I looked like cotton candy on a stick. My hair had no curl and resembled a ball of spun sugar. Leave it to kids to be so honest.
    frizzinfla wrote: »
    @BotticelliBrit - Agreed! Your post made me laugh :-). When I tried KCCC my stepdaughter told me I looked like cotton candy on a stick. My hair had no curl and resembled a ball of spun sugar. Leave it to kids to be so honest.

LOL! Kids definitely don't hold back!

I'm trying to use up my stash of it now, because no way am I wasting all that money. So I'm just using it to get rid of the frizzies when I put my third day hair in a pineapple. Hopefully I'll be rid of it soon!

DC:

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    For me it would have to be the following:

Kinky-Curly Curling Custard- This product acts like glue in my hair. The only difference is that it has a sweet smell to it instead. I was super excited to try it. However, this stuff was a super let down.

DevaCurl line- I have bought a number of products from this line. None of the products work for my hair, that I have tried. They simply leave my hair very dry, undefined mess. I no longer buy anything from that line. As, it just isn't moisturizing to my hair at all. Plus, I am not a fan of the scents of the products either.

Lily of The Desert Pure Aloe Vera Juice and Aloe Vera Gelly-Both dry out my hair something wicked. I don't find anything moisturizing about either product.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • danyel02danyel02 Posts: 156Registered Users
    My hair is very, very fine and readily absorbs moisture so for the most part products fail for me when they result in too much buildup. Most of the Shea Moisture line leaves my hair moisturized but coated in gunk. If I reapply a product I am left with white specks everywhere.

Kinky Curly Knot Today holds the distinction of being the only product I have every tried that actually dried out my hair. It was a crispy mess after I applied that stuff.....never again!
    Type: 4a Fine Texture
    CG since 2008 - Life long natural
    Holy Grails
    Cleanser: Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo
    Conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    Leave-ins: Camille Rose Moisture Milk & Almond Jai
    D/T: Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent Treatment
    Protein: Curl Junkie Repair Me
    Butters: Qhemet Amla & Olive, Bask Condensed Custard
    Oils: Coconut & Grapeseed
  • ashlyndmarieashlyndmarie Posts: 211Registered Users
    So many I wish my hair liked! :
    Shea moisture deep treatment masque
    Cantu shea butter leave in repair cream
    Kinky curly curling custard
    Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie (I can get away if I mix this with something, but usually it wilts my curls)
    Straight coconut oil (baby steps with this one, I keep putting small amounts in for deep conditioning, maybe I can trick my curls into liking this)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file