Tangly, dry, breaking hair --- help!

RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Okay. I'm really stuck here. I've been dealing with breakage issues for at least two years now. And I'm ready for a solution to this annoying problem. I'll go through my routine, products I use, then my specific issues.

I have coarse, dense, kinky hair. It is about mid-back length. I am not certain of my porosity, as I've never done a proper test. But I think my hair is porous. I protective style 90% of the time, usually for four weeks at a time. I take probiotics, because I have scalp issues, so I am usually able to go 2-4 weeks without needing to wash my hair. I wear my hair in about 12-20 braids/twists and, as I said, keep them in for about a month. I usually finger detangle. But if I have a lot of shed hair, I use a wide tooth comb. I deep condition every 1-2 weeks.

My hair hates panthenol and seems to only like coconut oil if it's in a product. Not by itself. I shampoo with trader joe's tea tree tingle shampoo and detangle with any conditioner I have on hand. Usually I dry detangle first, then finish up in the shower. Lately, I've been using the trader joe's conditioner as my leave in, but sometimes I mix in some Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose. I deep condition with either AOHSR, SM black soap masque or AOHSR mixed with Ayurvedic powders. When I braid my hair, I apply my product in a LOCO sequence (liquid, oil, cream, oil). This seems to be the best method for me. If it's humid, I will use gel and apply it in a LCOGO sequence. I seal with a castor oil/grapeseed oil mix or just grapeseed oil. I remoisturize my hair during the week with watered down yes to carrots condish, or a small amount of AOHSR or TJTTT.

My main issue is tangles and breakage. My hair seems to tangle no matter how thoroughly I detangle. And I get breakage no matter what. I make sure not to keep my protective styles in too long, but it can be a week and I notice tangles starting to form. So i have to rebraid some sections. I keep my ends tucked away and I still have this issue. I sleep with a satin pillow case, scarf...all that.

Right now I'm at a loss. I clarified last week, because I knew I had to and I wondered if that was the issue, but it doesn't seem to have resolved these problems. I feel like I'm doing everything right, but I just can't figure this one out.

I'm open to any helpful insight! If there are any questions that you have, please let me know. Thanks!!
21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Where do the tangles occur?
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Blueblood wrote: »
    Where do the tangles occur?

At the roots (which is weird bc my hair is always stretched) and ends, usually

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

Bump

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ok. Tossing out some ideas here for possible causes.

1. "protective" styles. For me braids and twists are destructive styles in left in more than a few days. They cause my hair to tangle badly at about day 3. I have hair that needs water every day and I find spritzing my hair while in twists or braids doesn't adequately moisturze my hair. Of course dry hair can cause breakage.

2. protein overload. I haven't tried that particular AO conditioner but the two I did try made my hair horribly strawlike if I used them along with another protein product. They both had coconut cream and my hair is also really picky about anything coconut period. Protein overload makes my hair tangle bad. I have had two setbacks from it with knots I had to cut.

Is your breakage all over? Maybe you can also examine your detangling technique.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    adthomas wrote: »

1. "protective" styles. For me braids and twists are destructive styles in left in more than a few days. They cause my hair to tangle badly at about day 3. I have hair that needs water every day and I find spritzing my hair while in twists or braids doesn't adequately moisturze my hair. Of course dry hair can cause breakage.

2. protein overload. I haven't tried that particular AO conditioner but the two I did try made my hair horribly strawlike if I used them along with another protein product. They both had coconut cream and my hair is also really picky about anything coconut period. Protein overload makes my hair tangle bad. I have had two setbacks from it with knots I had to cut.

Is your breakage all over? Maybe you can also examine your detangling technique.

1. I like protective styling because it is convenient and my hair stays more moisturized over a longer period of time than it does when it's loose. I don't like to style my hair multiple times per week, because I get breakage every time I do. Tangling happens whether I'm protective styling or wearing my hair out, about two days after I've styled.

2. This is interesting! I was wondering today if I was protein deficient? But perhaps it is the DT. My hair doesn't feel tangly as it goes on. But the DT doesn't seem to have much of an effect, because my hair feels really dry about 2 days after. Which deep conditioners do you use?

Breakage and SSKs seem to be all over...but it's mostly on the sides, where my temples are and in the front, where's bangs are.

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Rimi wrote: »

1. I like protective styling because it is convenient and my hair stays more moisturized over a longer period of time than it does when it's loose. I don't like to style my hair multiple times per week, because I get breakage every time I do. Tangling happens whether I'm protective styling or wearing my hair out, about two days after I've styled.

2. This is interesting! I was wondering today if I was protein deficient? But perhaps it is the DT. My hair doesn't feel tangly as it goes on. But the DT doesn't seem to have much of an effect, because my hair feels really dry about 2 days after. Which deep conditioners do you use?

Breakage and SSKs seem to be all over...but it's mostly on the sides, where my temples are and in the front, where's bangs are.

I mix conditioner with oil, honey and banana baby food. Have you ever done any oil rinsing or hot oil treatments? I think maybe trying daily moisturizing even if you don't feel you need it just to see.. I think some experimentation may be due. My hair has been a struggle this summer. I had to become a pj. My hair in front in more prone to ssks. What TJ are you using as a li? ave used TJNS as a li but I always mix it like kimmaytube.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Also be aware that a lot of AO products contain Alcohol Denat, which is why I stopped using them.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
    Rimi wrote: »

I mix conditioner with oil, honey and banana baby food. Have you ever done any oil rinsing or hot oil treatments? I think maybe trying daily moisturizing even if you don't feel you need it just to see.. I think some experimentation may be due. My hair has been a struggle this summer. I had to become a pj. My hair in front in more prone to ssks. What TJ are you using as a li? ave used TJNS as a li but I always mix it like kimmaytube.

Which conditioner do you mix?

I used trader joe's tea tree tingle. I stay away from cones unless I'm heat styling.

I think you're right about more experimenting. I'll give that a go. It's very difficult, though, to find a pepper deep conditioner, as SO many of them have panthenol.

eveum wrote: »
    Also be aware that a lot of AO products contain Alcohol Denat, which is why I stopped using them.

How is it bad?

• twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd toss the grapeseed oil and stick with castor for mixing and sealing. I read somwhere that continued use of grapeseed oil makes some peoples hair dry. Also coconut oil makes some peoples hair brittle.
    I'd toss the grapeseed oil and stick with castor for mixing and sealing. I read somwhere that continued use of grapeseed oil makes some peoples hair dry. Also coconut oil makes some peoples hair brittle.

Oh really?? I was worried that castor oil was building up too quickly! But i will have to read up on the grapeseed...thanks!

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Alcohol denat is used to decrease drying time and can cause the hair to be drier.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file