CurlTalk

Porosity Curiosity

Hi. I'm trying to figure out if my dry ends are low or high porosity. Seems like an easy determination but here's the confusion: My ends dry super fast (high) but it's difficult to get them to absorb water once they are dry (low). Any ideas?

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    How do you know your ends are not absorbing water? Are they coated with an occlusive (oils, waxes, butters, silicones).
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • frizzinflafrizzinfla Posts: 190Registered Users
    Hi. Thanks for the response. I have been CG for years, so no silicones. I use no polyquats, cetyl esters or waxes.

The rest of my hair is fine and normal porosity so heavy oils (including Shea) over condition my hair. HOWEVER, I will use Trader Joe's Nourish conditioner (old formula) on my ends, which does contain oils. I use it on 2nd day hair with water to soften and detangle my hard crunchy ends. Maybe that's the problem?

I can tell the ends resist moisture most on 2nd day hair. I dampen my hair with palm-fulls of water. Most of my hair gets wet easily but ends repel water so that I have to use much more H2O and squeeze to get it to penetrate.
    frizzinfla wrote: »
    Hi. Thanks for the response. I have been CG for years, so no silicones. I use no polyquats, cetyl esters or waxes.

The rest of my hair is fine and normal porosity so heavy oils (including Shea) over condition my hair. HOWEVER, I will use Trader Joe's Nourish conditioner (old formula) on my ends, which does contain oils. I use it on 2nd day hair with water to soften and detangle my hard crunchy ends. Maybe that's the problem?

I can tell the ends resist moisture most on 2nd day hair. I dampen my hair with palm-fulls of water. Most of my hair gets wet easily but ends repel water so that I have to use much more H2O and squeeze to get it to penetrate.

Crunchy ends ... have you chelated recently?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    I have never chelated. Recommendations on best way??
    Swimmers type shampoo (ION in the US is sulphate free IIRC) or sachet product (eg. Malibu C).

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Firefox, you pointed out in a different thread that acids "chelate rather than clarify", well, since she's CG I would say that doing a "Lemon Aid" would be the right thing to try in this instance.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

Swimmers type shampoo (ION in the US is sulphate free IIRC) or sachet product (eg. Malibu C).

Thanks so much! I did a little reading about chelating and I think it's exactly what my hair needs.
    Firefox, you pointed out in a different thread that acids "chelate rather than clarify", well, since she's CG I would say that doing a "Lemon Aid" would be the right thing to try in this instance.

Lemon Aid sounds easy enough. Thank you!!

If she wishes, but IIRC both the commercial products I suggested are CG in the states. Commercial chelating products usually contain two acid ingredients to effectively remove a range of mineral/ chemical deposits from the hair.

If she wishes, but IIRC both the commercial products I suggested are CG in the states. Commercial chelating products usually contain two acid ingredients to effectively remove a range of mineral/ chemical deposits from the hair.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I'll do some product research and go that route.
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Somehow I missed when you mentioned those products were sulphate free, sorry. However, the advantage of trying the Lemon Aid is that it would be more economical. ;-)
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

Did Ion Swimmers Treatment (powder) and it worked! My conditioner was finally able to penetrate my straw-like ends. They still feel a bit dry but I will keep conditioning over the next few days.

Chelating is just what I needed... I never would have guessed. Thanks for sharing your wisdom
    That is great! If things do not go back to normal after a couple of conditioning sessions try chelating again, it might be you have some residual minerals.

Ok. Thx. I'm not sure if I was imagining things but I SWEAR I smelled rust after applying the product. I think my hair was in desperate need.