Cowash product advice?

MelBelleMelBelle Registered Users Posts: 25
Hi! I'm new here! :)

I've long been a fan of sulphate free shampoos, but I have just recently stumbled onto the trend of cowashing. I'd really like to give it a shot. I tried it a couple of times with Head & Shoulders Smooth and Silky... But that's probably not the best thing, so I'm on the market for a conditioner that will get the job done for less than $10.

Has anyone tried Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner? I see people comparing it to Wen all the time.

Also, I just figured out (well, sort of) my hair "profile" today... So if I'm completely on the wrong track for what would be good for my hair, please set me straight! But not with straight hair... You know what I mean... :oops:
2c/3a/3b
Fine Texture
Medium-High Density
Low Elasticity
Porosity: On the high side of normal
*Protein relationship has yet to be determined*
Length Goal: Princess Buttercup by August

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    MelBelle wrote: »
    Hi! I'm new here! :)

I've long been a fan of sulphate free shampoos, but I have just recently stumbled onto the trend of cowashing. I'd really like to give it a shot. I tried it a couple of times with Head & Shoulders Smooth and Silky... But that's probably not the best thing, so I'm on the market for a conditioner that will get the job done for less than $10.

Has anyone tried Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner? I see people comparing it to Wen all the time.

Also, I just figured out (well, sort of) my hair "profile" today... So if I'm completely on the wrong track for what would be good for my hair, please set me straight! But not with straight hair... You know what I mean... :oops:

Hi and welcome, Melbelle!

If you figured out your porosity using the float test or "feel" test, neither gives a good accurate result. Better to observe how your hair behaves. Does it wet quickly, dry quickly, and soak up product? Is it damaged from heat or dyes or bleach? If so, it may be high porosity. Does it take a while to get wet, take a long time to dry, and do products (esp. heavier ones) just "sit" on your hair instead of absorbing? If so, it may be low porosity. Somewhere in the middle and it's probably medium porosity. If you want a definitive answer on porosity and other hair properties (texture, elasticity), invest in a hair analysis. GooseFootprints on etsy does an excellent one, and the woman who does them is a poster here and also writes the Science-y Hair Blog, which is an excellent source of information.

If you want to exclusively cowash (completely shampoo free), you'll want a conditioner that's free of non-water soluble silicones. Those require at least a low poo (sulfate free shampoo) with Cocamidopropyl Betaine or Cocobetaine for removal. If you have hard water in your area, your may find you need an occasional low poo to remove mineral deposits on your hair. Cowashing with a conditioner that contains EDTA will help minimize mineral deposits, but it won't eliminate them completely.

If the following ingredients list for Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner is correct, I would not recommend it for cowashing, becausse it contains Dimethicone, which is non-water soluble and builds up over time unless you shampoo. Also, it contains menthol, which may produce a nice tingly feeling, but could also be irritating to your scalp, especially if it's sensitive.

Ingredients: Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mentha Arvensis Leaf Oil (Field Mint), Menthol, Fragrance, Glutamic Acid, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Zinc Pyrithione, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

A couple of quick /cheap starter cowash options are Suave Naturals (not the light green opaque bottles) or VO5. If your hair texture (individual strand width) is truly medium to coarse, you may want to consider a low to no protein one. Suave Naturals (except Tropical Coconut) are protein free. The following VO5's are also protein free: anything in the Tea Therapy line, Herbal Escapes Ocean Refresh, Herbal Escapes Pomegranate & Grapeseed Extract, Herbal Escapes Sun-Kissed Raspberry, and Silky Experiences Island Coconut.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • MelBelleMelBelle Registered Users Posts: 25
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    Hi and welcome, Melbelle!

If you figured out your porosity using the float test or "feel" test, neither gives a good accurate result. Better to observe how your hair behaves. Does it wet quickly, dry quickly, and soak up product? Is it damaged from heat or dyes or bleach? If so, it may be high porosity. Does it take a while to get wet, take a long time to dry, and do products (esp. heavier ones) just "sit" on your hair instead of absorbing? If so, it may be low porosity. Somewhere in the middle and it's probably medium porosity. If you want a definitive answer on porosity and other hair properties (texture, elasticity), invest in a hair analysis. GooseFootprints on etsy does an excellent one, and the woman who does them is a poster here and also writes the Science-y Hair Blog, which is an excellent source of information.

If you want to exclusively cowash (completely shampoo free), you'll want a conditioner that's free of non-water soluble silicones. Those require at least a low poo (sulfate free shampoo) with Cocamidopropyl Betaine or Cocobetaine for removal. If you have hard water in your area, your may find you need an occasional low poo to remove mineral deposits on your hair. Cowashing with a conditioner that contains EDTA will help minimize mineral deposits, but it won't eliminate them completely.

If the following ingredients list for Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner is correct, I would not recommend it for cowashing, becausse it contains Dimethicone, which is non-water soluble and builds up over time unless you shampoo. Also, it contains menthol, which may produce a nice tingly feeling, but could also be irritating to your scalp, especially if it's sensitive.

Ingredients: Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mentha Arvensis Leaf Oil (Field Mint), Menthol, Fragrance, Glutamic Acid, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Zinc Pyrithione, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

A couple of quick /cheap starter cowash options are Suave Naturals (not the light green opaque bottles) or VO5. If your hair texture (individual strand width) is truly medium to coarse, you may want to consider a low to no protein one. Suave Naturals (except Tropical Coconut) are protein free. The following VO5's are also protein free: anything in the Tea Therapy line, Herbal Escapes Ocean Refresh, Herbal Escapes Pomegranate & Grapeseed Extract, Herbal Escapes Sun-Kissed Raspberry, and Silky Experiences Island Coconut.
    Thank you for the welcome! :)

I did use the floating test actually, so that's probably not correct then! Now I'm thinking more medium. My hair doesn't immediately get wet, it probably takes a minute or two under running water, and I think 5-6 hours to thoroughly dry naturally. It may be more porous than I think because I dyed it once, about a year ago, and to try and get the color out I used Color Oops, but it didn't get a whole lot out. That's supposed to make your hair porous, but I've also read that products like that don't work too well on lower-porosity hair... I think I'm confusing myself lol. Maybe I should invest in that analysis. I'm not sure I have the size right, because some of my hair strands are different sizes... Maybe I should just say medium everything for now lol. I have a friend who does this sort of thing for a living, so maybe I should just ask her actually!

I do have hard water where I live, so that's disappointing that I won't be able to go totally exclusive! But thank you so much for showing me what to look for! I am definitely going to give some of those a try. Thank you for being so patient and helpful! :)
    2c/3a/3b
    Fine Texture
    Medium-High Density
    Low Elasticity
    Porosity: On the high side of normal
    *Protein relationship has yet to be determined*
    Length Goal: Princess Buttercup by August
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
    Hi MelBelle and welcome!

There's no reason why you can't co-wash exclusively with hard water, I did it for 8 years while living in FL, you just may need to clarify every few weeks, and the best way to do it is by using the "Lemon Aid" which is mixing either the juice of 1/2-1 lemon/lime with a portion of conditioner, as
    acids are good at removing minerals/metals. You just leave that on for a couple of minutes before rinsing it out.

The "Color Oops" not having worked well on your hair has nothing to do with your porosity but with the kind of pigment present in your hair. I was recently reading in a forum for professional hairdressers how most brands of hair color contain "direct dyes" (the only type present in products like "Manic Panic" and anything that only requires a little heat to work) and some more than others, like all the L'Oreal ones, and they are a nightmare to remove completely. In fact, I think it was the C.O. that was said to fail very often with them, even when it appears to have worked if a product with peroxide is used soon after it the color may darken because the pigment is still there. They were suggesting to always test a strand by running 10 V peroxide after the removal process to see if the hair would change color. Well, that last bit was additional info that's not really relevant to you but I hope it can help someone else someday.

Once the cuticle of the hair has been raised by 20 V peroxide the hair's porosity will be higher, so if you used a permanent color, there's really no chance your hair could have low porosity, especially after also using the C.O. Sulphated shampoos also raise the cuticle as does heat and any high pH substance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file