Detangling Highly Porous Hair

GreatcurlsGreatcurls Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
When do you detangle your hair? When it's wet, damp, or dry? Have read articles that suggest it's best to detangle when the hair is dry to avoid breakage. For me, it depends on the conditioner that I use. For dry hair, spritzers such as Nu-Gro, MyDNA, or Knotty Boy works well. For damp hair, I'll use Nu-Gro or Shima Hair Repair leave-in as examples. If the DT or DT has excellent slip, then a leave-in isn't needed.

How about you?
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
 *This list is not exhaustive...
CoWash: various
DT: various
Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
Spritz/Sealant:not now
*experimenting and loving it!
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• AutumnwavesAutumnwaves Posts: 41Registered Users
    I lost a ton of hair detangling in the shower this morning. I could literally feel it snap off when I was detangling with conditioner. I think I'm going to dry detangle next wash. My hair is fine and porous so it's super fragile.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Though hair is weaker when wet, detangling dry can cause more breakage because the hair is, well, dry (lol). There's no slip to aid in the detangling, so you're more likely to tear your hair.

I detangle when wet, with my RO conditioner in and it's pretty quick and easy :)

(I'm not highly porous though)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • lolo918lolo918 Curl Neophyte Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I detangle in the shower- I saturate with conditioner and let it sit before I start detangling.

I tried all of those methods to see which worked best. Damp detangling was a no go. With dry and wet detangling I have to do it with something that has a lot of slip that I let sit on my hair a bit before detangling. I prefer the wet process though because it feels like I lose less hair.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • ZeldahimeZeldahime Posts: 223Registered Users
    Yeah, I've played around with different detangling methods, but wet saturated with conditioner works the best for me. Dry detangling is just too painful for my scalp. I try not to pull hard, but I seems to hit more snags when dry detangling.

I've tried damp too but it requires far more product than I think is reasonable for how short my hair is and I still seems to hit snags. Wet with condish is the quickest and least painful way for me.
    Very fine, high porosity, currently dyed and growing out the relaxed portions. I'm pretty sure my hair's 3b something IIRC. We will be finding out for sure as time goes by.
  • justcurliesjustcurlies Posts: 38Registered Users
    My hair is porous, but not very highly - I always detangle in the shower with soaking wet hair, I feel like I then get the least breakage possible. have you tried the kckt from kinky curly? I think this detangler is the best as it makes it pretty easy to detangle my curls and therefore causes less breakage 😊 btw: my hair is 3a and the kinky curly products work perfectly for me!
    www.justcurly.com

My blog is all about curls: Curly tips, curly hairstyles, curly product reviews, curly fashion and curly lifestyle!
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • AutumnwavesAutumnwaves Posts: 41Registered Users
    Yesterday was wash day an I detangled dry with a super wide tooth comb and started from my ends and worked my way up. I had less hair fall and breakage this way. My hair has no elasticity when wet and literally snaps no matter how much conditioner I put through.
    That's me though, I may be the odd one in this case lol.
  • FlemishCurvesFlemishCurves Posts: 52Registered Users
    I detangle my fully conditioned wet hair with my fingers. I don't think any other way could work for me. I can feel my hair break just thinking about it.
    3A/3B Corkicelli

What a hairdresser once said 'behind my back': Her curls are like owning a Ferrari but not knowing how to drive it.

What I should have answered: Me letting you cut my hair is like owning a Ferrari but letting a 15-year-old who takes autoshop do the maintenance.
  • FimuFimu Curl Neophyte Posts: 322Registered Users Curl Neophyte
  • followmeskyfollowmesky Posts: 287Registered Users
    I think it's unanimous - wet hair is best to detangle than dry. One observation - I noticed that fine hair regardless of texture is highly - mod porous hair. Maybe I'm behind in my findings but interesting!
    Never detangle your hair when dry - it will snap snap snap - best when is saturated.
    3b/C with nicer curls on the bottom!
    Hair: naturally very dry and VERY porous
    hair seems to be moody.
    Does not seem to like oils
    Does not like protein or too much?
    Does not like rich products

So, I ask myself. What does it like? That is the question, and I'm on a mission.
  • africanaafricana Curl Neophyte Posts: 65Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have 4a, fine hair, high porosity hair. De-tangling on wet hair would kill it. I prefer to add coconut oil or conditioner to dry hair, finger de-tangle, and then further de-tangle with a modified Denman.

- Type 4 hair
    - Trying CG life, again !

• naturecatnaturecat Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it's unanimous - wet hair is best to detangle than dry. One observation - I noticed that fine hair regardless of texture is highly - mod porous hair. Maybe I'm behind in my findings but interesting!
    Never detangle your hair when dry - it will snap snap snap - best when is saturated.

I'm a fine haired wavy, formerly super low porosity. So it's not necessarily always the case. I'm high porosity now though…. I think fine hair is more vulnerable to damage with dying, perhaps that's why the correlation?

I agree, detangle when wet for me, both for high and lo po. Otherwise my hair would snag, tangle, and break (not to mention, disrupt the curl pattern).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • FimuFimu Curl Neophyte Posts: 322Registered Users Curl Neophyte
  • FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Curl Connoisseur Posts: 248Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use a detangling comb on wet hair in the shower, after a cowash and applying my RO (Curls Coconut Curlada--my HG!).

My (very curl-friendly) hair stylist, whom I've been going to for almost 10 years and who has seen me try different ways of detangling my hair, agrees with me that the wet detangling with Coconut Curlada is the best I've done so far. At my last visit, she didn't have to comb out ANY tangles!
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, medium, thick, low porosity, modified CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil sulfate-free shampoo; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; KCKT; LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel; coconut oil; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file