Aloe Vera, which is it?

Stinalee1120Stinalee1120 Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Novice
Hi ladies, I have a question. I have searched and searched, but I seem to get different answers concerning Aloe Vera. Is something that acts as protein OR is it a humectant? I have read a lot of protein sensitive women react badly to using products that contain Aloe Vera, and some don't. I know it depends on the person. I guess I'm just wondering if it acts more as a humectant, perhaps it was used in the wrong dew point/humidity and drew moisture away from the hair (winter)...causing some people to think it was a protein problem. Any ideas?

Comments

• GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This is a great question and I hope someone who knows comes through!

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As far as I know, aloe doesnt contain protein. It does act as a humectant but its not as strong as say honey, propylene glycol, or glycerin. Aloe is also acidic so it tends to lay the cuticle flat. If I don't use aloe vera gel or juice mixed with something it makes my low porosity hair hard like I've had too much protein for instance.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • Stinalee1120Stinalee1120 Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Novice
    lolo918 wrote: »
    As far as I know, aloe doesnt contain protein. It does act as a humectant but its not as strong as say honey, propylene glycol, or glycerin. Aloe is also acidic so it tends to lay the cuticle flat. If I don't use aloe vera gel or juice mixed with something it makes my low porosity hair hard like I've had too much protein for instance.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App

Thanks for your reply! I actually liked to use Aloe Vera to lower the PH of some hair products, but I stopped using it. I had to switch up products recently due to protein issues, but the conflicting information made my search confusing. Ah well... Guess I just have to try it out and see what happens.
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    I love aloe. My protein sensitive hair just loves aloe. It's the best thing to pick me up when my hair is over-pt-ed or when my curls are thin and won't clump.

Aloe has light humectant properties, but also puts a light film over the hair to preserve the moisture.
    And the combo aloe + coconut oil is a real winner when my hair is dehydrated and brittle. Then I rub a tiny bit of coconut oil between my hands and add a drop of AVG, mix it and smooth and scrunch my hair. When I leave it overnight, the next day my hair is voluminous and moisturized.

2b-3a med-fine low porosity
    Blog: KrullenWijzer.nl
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • Do6459Do6459 Posts: 3Registered Users
    I've actually just discovered I'm protein sensitive- or was protein overloaded more specifically I think. And the thing that made me realise it was my hairs sudden aversion to the aloe heavy KKCC. It started making my hair dry and at first I thought it was the antiseptic horsetail (may still be- won't know until I try reintroducing it) but I removed it and all protein conditioners and within a week my hair is so much softer.

It may have been the protein overload made me sebsitive to the aloe- since I also couldn't handle covonut oil at all- it ruined the curl and made it really crispy and dry. So maybe once I've removed the protein for a bit and remoisterised aloe won't be such a problem anymore....

However about a year ago I bought aloe Vera juice and my hair reacted badly again- dry crispy tangled. So maybe I'll never be good with aloe but I'm hoping since when I first started using KKCC years ago my hair LOVED it (when I guess I wasvt yet protein overloaded!!)

3c coarse (I think!!) hair- not sure if I'm porous or not!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file