Why the Build - Up...

Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have been hearing for months about how naturals cannot "co-wash" due to "build up" and I was wondering why that happens since I never have it.

Also, I have read the horror stories about co-washing and damage, hair loss, etc...didn't understand that either.

Why this is happening has been a question that has been in the back of my mind periodically and I finally got the answer to both questions.

At first I thought it was due to using un-natural products, [products not CG approved], and that is partially correct; however I read an article with instructions for caring for natural hair which listed the main reason for product build up...oils as sealers.

Those of you who use oils that/to seal your hair will have build up and will periodically have to "clarify, ACV, or shampoo" cleanse your hair to remove the build up.

Those who have the horror stories with co-washing is probably because the oil seals the product on their hair shaft, and co-washing does not remove it. This continues to build up on the roots of their hair clogging their pores and damaging the follicles.

It is not the co-washing that is the problem but the continual "product build up" which is not being removed by co-washing.

I never experienced this because I never "seal" my hair, I use all natural products, and oils that absorb into my hair shaft. This is why I never have build up on my hair.

IF you do "seal", NO, you cannot co-wash ONLY. You will have to clarify, or ACV rinse, or shampoo periodically to remove the build up.

Glad I finally got that cleared up...whew!!! LOL!

Blessings!

Low Porosity/Medium Density
Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
Hydration - SM CH
Curl & Style Milk
LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque

Comments

• RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have been hearing for months about how naturals cannot "co-wash" due to "build up" and I was wondering why that happens since I never have it.

Also, I have read the horror stories about co-washing and damage, hair loss, etc...didn't understand that either.

Why this is happening has been a question that has been in the back of my mind periodically and I finally got the answer to both questions.

At first I thought it was due to using un-natural products, [products not CG approved], and that is partially correct; however I read an article with instructions for caring for natural hair which listed the main reason for product build up...oils as sealers.

Those of you who use oils that/to seal your hair will have build up and will periodically have to "clarify, ACV, or shampoo" cleanse your hair to remove the build up.

Those who have the horror stories with co-washing is probably because the oil seals the product on their hair shaft, and co-washing does not remove it. This continues to build up on the roots of their hair clogging their pores and damaging the follicles.

It is not the co-washing that is the problem but the continual "product build up" which is not being removed by co-washing.

I never experienced this because I never "seal" my hair, I use all natural products, and oils that absorb into my hair shaft. This is why I never have build up on my hair.

IF you do "seal", NO, you cannot co-wash ONLY. You will have to clarify, or ACV rinse, or shampoo periodically to remove the build up.

Glad I finally got that cleared up...whew!!! LOL!

Blessings!

This is very useful. I hope this will clear things up for some folks!

OAN: what absorbing oils do you use? And what is your product application process? Just curious!
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file