Coloring dark brown curls white?

SilvestrisSilvestris Posts: 17Registered Users
I did a search and only found advice on how to go from light brown to deep blond without losing too much curl. My intention is to bleach my hair pale blond and then use a toner to get white BUT I am ptrified of losing my curls.

I'm a 3B and I know that coloring makes hair lose curl (*gulp*), but exactly how much would I lose if I went from a mahogany brown to a light blond? Does it depend on the product/method?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    Silvestris wrote:
    I did a search and only found advice on how to go from light brown to deep blond without losing too much curl. My intention is to bleach my hair pale blond and then use a toner to get white BUT I am ptrified of losing my curls.

I'm a 3B and I know that coloring makes hair lose curl (*gulp*), but exactly how much would I lose if I went from a mahogany brown to a light blond? Does it depend on the product/method?

Thanks guys!

sounds complicated and if done incorrectly, potentially damaging. I think to go that many shades lighter, you may need to consult a professional.

Have you looked at the "hi-lift" browns that many of the drugstore brands now have? You can't get white, but maybe a dark ash blonde. I don't think the hi-lifts will work if your hair has dye in it. Do you currently have color in your hair?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • SilvestrisSilvestris Posts: 17Registered Users
    :shock: Oh wow, I was never planning to bleach my own hair. I meant going to a salon and getting it done.

My hair has no color in it at all, and is in pretty good shape. What I'm afraid of is that I'll get someone who has no clue what bleaching does to curls and then I'll come back with limp waves or something of the sort.

(I love your curls by the way! They look so bouncy :D )
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    Silvestris wrote:
    :shock: Oh wow, I was never planning to bleach my own hair. I meant going to a salon and getting it done.

My hair has no color in it at all, and is in pretty good shape. What I'm afraid of is that I'll get someone who has no clue what bleaching does to curls and then I'll come back with limp waves or something of the sort.

(I love your curls by the way! They look so bouncy :D )

Thanks about my hair. That's awfully sweet of you.

I've never had my hair bleached or even colored by a professional, so I can't be much help. I would certainly make sure that your colorist has done this before and is experienced lightening dark hair. I do know, though, upkeep will be a pain, considering the color difference between your natural hair and the color you are shooting for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
    Will do! I think I'll wait until I'm back in the US to do this one. Austrian hairdressers are... blah.

Ahh upkeep. Hey, who knows, maybe I can just dunk my head in some baby powder and it'll look just fine :wink:

Thank you for the advice Brio!
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    I had a bad experience with bleach. I have dark brown hair naturally, and had light brown and blond(bleach) foil hi- lights put in. The color looked great, it was a great change of pace, I liked it alot. BUT my hair hated it, The pieces what were bleached started losing their curls, going more straight then curly, they were so dry, and I had a lot of breakeage. My hair would get so crunchy, with just a little bit of gel. I had the hi-lights done twice in all, cause of course I like them. But now I colored my hair back with a no ammonia or peroxide dye. And since being on CG for a couple of months now, my hair underneath gets these pretty clumping spirals, The previously highlighted hair, still curls, but doesn't look as good as the non damaged hair underneath. Does that make sense? My point is be very careful with bleach.
    I had a bad experience with bleach. I have dark brown hair naturally, and had light brown and blond(bleach) foil hi- lights put in. The color looked great, it was a great change of pace, I liked it alot. BUT my hair hated it, The pieces what were bleached started losing their curls, going more straight then curly, they were so dry, and I had a lot of breakeage. My hair would get so crunchy, with just a little bit of gel. I had the hi-lights done twice in all, cause of course I like them. But now I colored my hair back with a no ammonia or peroxide dye. And since being on CG for a couple of months now, my hair underneath gets these pretty clumping spirals, The previously highlighted hair, still curls, but doesn't look as good as the non damaged hair underneath. Does that make sense? My point is be very careful with bleach.

Ouch! Yes it makes sense. I'm sorry for your bad experience :( It sounds like it was really hard to fix.

Would you say then, that a lot of damage can be avoided by using a non-ammonia or non-peroxide dye?
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    first I am not an expert, just my opinion. I think it would be less damanging. I used a dye I found at Sallys, it was a powder and I mixed it with water. I know alot of curlies here use Robert Craig color, and like the results. But to get it as light as you want it I don't think dye would get it, that light. I think you would have to use bleach, for platinum blond, definately go to a professional for it, maybe have a consultation, to see what exactly they would do to get it that light. Maybe they have a better idea, how to do it without bleach.
    first I am not an expert, just my opinion. I think it would be less damanging. I used a dye I found at Sallys, it was a powder and I mixed it with water. I know alot of curlies here use Robert Craig color, and like the results. But to get it as light as you want it I don't think dye would get it, that light. I think you would have to use bleach, for platinum blond, definately go to a professional for it, maybe have a consultation, to see what exactly they would do to get it that light. Maybe they have a better idea, how to do it without bleach.

I'll definately do that. Thank you Heavengirl :) I tought this would be too much for me to do on my own.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    From my experience of salon highlights (twice) where they were bleached to blonde, it left my hair very dry and pulled the curl out of each bleached strand. :(

If you have mahogany hair, I doubt that you will ever achieve enough lift to go white. Taking the hair from that dark to that light will definitely cause damage, as you will need to either use a very strong bleach, or (and?) process it twice. Either way = damage.

I do my own highlights and I only bleach to the re or red/orange stage, and I don't seem to get damage. But anything lighter causes damage.

You can go to the Ask Karin section of Robert Craig's website and ask her what you might do. http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php?location=askkarin
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • NynaveyNynavey Posts: 20Registered Users
    To get dark brown lighter, no matter what shade of blonde, you need bleach. A stylist will have to lighten your hair quite a few shades, and apply another color/toner on top of that to get the right shade of blonde/platinum.

Have you ever bleached your hair before? If so, do you lighten easily (quickly)? Some dark hair has a real tendency to turn brassy and orange if not lightened up enough. Definately a job for a professional, and it may loosen the curl because of the damage done to the hair shaft. Good luck with it though - you only live once!
    3a/3b hair, baby fine texture, just past shoulders
    Currently returning to a CO routine
  • JeanGenieJeanGenie Posts: 33Registered Users
    Here's a link to the Manic Panic site, where it shows a guy who dyed his hair from dark brown to white (using the Manic Panic toner and their bleach kit): http://www.manicpanic.com/best%20hair%20color/virginsnow.html

Now, you can see it was possible to lighten his hair that much, but maybe it wasn't all that good for his hair, from the state of the pictures :) Maybe if you conditioned the heck out of your hair and did DT's every week, it might be okay. But your stylist should be able to give you a good indication of how drying it could be.

I've bleached my hair before, but to a medium/light blonde. I needed tons of conditioner to replenish it, it was very drying. As long as I kept it conditioned, it didn't affect my curl pattern. I'm a 3A, and have naturally medium brown hair.
    Hair type: 3A. Almost chin length with Bettie bangs. Currently using GF Curl & Shine S/C, leave in and jojoba oil. Colored black. Check out my curly journal on this site!
    You guys are awesome :D

I'd still love to do this but we don't exactly hang around these boards and baby our lovely curls so that they can get looser if you understand me. in any case, I'll go to a (curly!) professional and ask them what they'd think about it. Thank you Siobhan for the link, I haven't seen that one before.

Thanks guys!
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    I can tell you without any hesitation that bleaching your hair even to a darker level will relax your curls. You need to go through 9 stages of decoloration in order to reach the pale yellow stage so you can get the "white" blonde you want, and that is definitely very rough on the hair even if it's in good condition now. Several years ago when my hair was colored dark but was in very good condition I decided to go lighter which really required a color remover first but instead bleach was used on my hair. The last 4" only lightened to an orange level so a couple of weeks later I used a very gentle oil bleach to even it out but the result was that it became damaged and the most apparent effect was loss of curl. I had to trim my hair like 3 times in 8 months to get rid of those 4" of hair.

I hope at this point you've reconsidered and are willing to settle for a shade that's not so light and damaging to your hair because it's hardly worth it. These days even celebrities are shying away from such extreme shades. The platinum "bombshell" hair of the early 60s has now been so overdone it's really no longer considered glamorous, I'm afraid it's now being more associated with another rather negative kind of "stardom". Besides, to keep it in decent shape it requires constant visits to a good salon otherwise you end up with cheap looking strands of hay.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file