Shampoo advice

bobbybobby Posts: 737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I know us curlies are only supposed to occasionally shampoo but I've been swimming a lot lately. For one, so my kids get experience and for two, it just feels good after a long day of work. Anyhow, I've been using a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner about four times a week. Is that good or bad or does it matter?
2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"

Comments

• PearlRowellPearlRowell Posts: 50Registered Users
    Depends on if it has sulfates and parbens in it, check on the ingredients section.
    You should be using a shampoo because your swimming in chlorine and you don't want that to get into your hair but a way of avoiding that is by putting in your moisturiser then coating it in an oil of your choice (not castor) because water and oil don't mix, it will act as a protective barrier and there's less of a need to wash your hair with "2 in 1" shampoo and conditioner. If you don't feel like you really need to use your sulfate free shampoo then just co wash!
    Hope this helped!
    Pearl 😄
  • geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    Lots of people are on the no-shampoo bandwagon here, but plenty of curlies still shampoo occassionally, especially those with looser curl patterns, as we seem to be more prone to build-up. Generally we'd want to avoid sulfates in our everyday hair care, but there are limited options when it comes to chemicals that will clean out chlorine, so it's not necessary to write it off entirely.

Dilute baking soda or ACV rinses can be used to neutralize and remove chlorine from hair if you want to clean more "naturally", or use it as a way to clean between shampoos. (6 Ways to Get Chlorine Out of Your Hair - wikiHow)

Cowashing with a conditioner containing surfactants like coco betaine *might* be enough to remove it, but on my quick search, I haven't been able to find a website citation to clearly confirm or deny it.

Sulfate shampoos tend to make my hair drier and more brittle, much more likely to "shed" or break off. Not everyone is as sensitive, though, so if you aren't noticing a negative difference after a week or two, it might not be worth fretting over!
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • amandasimon220amandasimon220 Posts: 19Registered Users
    Can anyone tell me some organic hair shampoo products.. :confused2:
  • geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • sambullock002sambullock002 Posts: 8Registered Users
    I mix baking soda and water as an alternative to shampoo sometimes. I read in other forums that baking soda is a good cleaning agent and it's sulfate-free. I haven't been using the regular shampoo for a while now and my hair looks healthy and no more hair fall.
  • mariechin1234mariechin1234 Posts: 1Registered Users
    :farao:
    bobby wrote: »
    I know us curlies are only supposed to occasionally shampoo but I've been swimming a lot lately. For one, so my kids get experience and for two, it just feels good after a long day of work. Anyhow, I've been using a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner about four times a week. Is that good or bad or does it matter?

Make sure it's paraben and sulfate free shampoo and conditioner :angel8: I highly recommend using organic hair products.
  • David123123David123123 Posts: 3Registered Users
    NIVEA 2in1 Express care for all hair types. From the first use of this shampoo my hair perfect fit - excellent foams, hair well washed, shiny, smooth and manageable.
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 14Registered Users
    I mix baking soda with my conditioner and I clean my scalp and with extra couple of pumps of conditioner coat the length, rinse out, then apply more condish. Baking soda is very effective in cleaning, but can be very drying. Plus it's got great multi uses; I also use it as a face wash.

I'm just thinking that wouldn't shampoo just dry your hair out more? I'm not sure. My mom was always a big no-no with those two in one products; she was a firm believer that they never worked, so I never used them.

If you're in the pool a lot, perhaps investing in some coconut oil and a swim cap could be a consideration for you.

-Icarus
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You could try a cleansing conditioner like CJ daily fix. It's has gentle cleansers and chelators, and us moisturizing, so it should be good to use after swimming.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• ashleysummerashleysummer Posts: 20Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DrRach wrote: »
    You could try a cleansing conditioner like CJ daily fix. It's has gentle cleansers and chelators, and us moisturizing, so it should be good to use after swimming.
    thanx for sharing
  • RedSkyRedSky Posts: 22Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Can anyone tell me some organic hair shampoo products.. :confused2:
    I use Maple Holsitcs and they were the first result when I searched on Amazon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file