update on Nutrisse

monica001monica001 Posts: 43Registered Users
i finally touched up my grays with the Nutrisse. i was disappointed. covered my gray but the base is to red! i hate coloring. :evil:

Comments

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    LOL! and I can't ever seem to get my hair red enough!

I know. It's so frutstrating. I wish there was a hair dye that could guarantee you would get results like on the box, even if your hair has been previously dyed There are so many factors that can influence what the color turns out like.

If it hasn't been too long since you've dyed, you can try washing your hair to see if you can fade it some.

what color did you use?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • monica001monica001 Posts: 43Registered Users
    Brio wrote:
    LOL! and I can't ever seem to get my hair red enough!

I know. It's so frutstrating. I wish there was a hair dye that could guarantee you would get results like on the box, even if your hair has been previously dyed There are so many factors that can influence what the color turns out like.

If it hasn't been too long since you've dyed, you can try washing your hair to see if you can fade it some.

what color did you use?
    i used dark brown. [cholcolate brown] it's not that i don't mind red THROUGH my hair just not the base because it makes my length look daker than the top. i read on makeupalley this brand can make hair lighter. is this true?
    First, let me start with a disclaimer. I am not a beautician. What I am passing along is what I have learned out of frustration as I have played with my own hair color. Hopefully, what I have gathered from my reading online is not totally incorrect.

Yes, Nutrisse will lighten your hair, just as most permanent hair dyes will (exception to that is the Robert Craig color). However, it will only lighten natural, uncolored hair. Hair color will not lift the color from previously dyed hair.

For example, let's say your hair is medium brown and you've never colored your hair. You decide you want to go light brown and buy a box of light brown hair color. You should, in my undestanding, get a light brown hair color.

On the other hand, let's say your hair is naturally medium brown, but you have colored your hair a medium brown due to gray hairs or something. Now, you decide you want a change. You decide you want to go light brown. Buying a box of light brown hair color most likely is not going to get you to a light brown, except for the roots that are still virgin, uncolored hair. The length of your medium brown colored hair may even get darker from the additional color put on top of it, or you may just get a hue color change. I think when you color on top of previously colored hair, it is harder to predict the outcome.

I'm not 100% sure, but what you seem to be describing may be "hot" roots, i.e. where your roots of your hair turn out a different color than the length of your hair. I think this normally happens if the length of your hair has been previously color treated and then you decide to try a different color. The virgin roots react to the hair color differently than the previously colored length. I have this problem to some degree due to a build up of color on the length of my hair.

Long post . . . probably hard to follow. Sorry.

Before you used the Nutrisse, was your hair color treated? If yes,

(1) what hair color(s) did you use prior?
    (2) did you use the root touch up method? or the full head method?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
    FIRST OFF THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. :)
    Before you used the Nutrisse, was your hair color treated? If yes,

(1) what hair color(s) did you use prior?
    (2) did you use the root touch up method? or the full head method?

1same dark brown but by HE
    2 touch up method
    also i have basically colored my hair dark brown because my hair is like a dark brown. i have very long hair so i only refresh the length once in awhile. not to damge the length
    It sounds as if you have been coloring your hair "by the book." I suppose the Nutrisse is a slightly different color "recipe" from the Herbal Essences dark brown, which is why it took redder. If you like the redder look and can stand it for a while, maybe the color on your length will fade some more in time and begin to pick up the red tones of the Nutrisse when you refresh the color.

Hey, I don't ever seem to be satisfied with my hair color. I seem incapable of picking a color & sticking with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Actually, if you're using a typical permanent color, you should be able to lighten even previously darkened hair. Some box colors are meant to be more gentle on your hair, and don't contain some damaging ingredients. These are going to only keep you in the same color family, as are depositing only dyes. But if you have a darker colored hair, and you use a lighter color to lighten it, it should take, and lighten, even on the previously dyed areas.

However, things like, the condition of your hair, how many times it's been dyed, the color that it is, how recently you've colored, etc - these are all going to affect the end result color.

And whenever coloring at home, as a rule of thumb, you should pick a color 1 to 2 shades lighter than your desired color.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    to Brio: What color did you use in your hair in your last picture(March 26, 2007) - it looks beautiful, what I want on my hair!
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
    cara4curls wrote:
    to Brio: What color did you use in your hair in your last picture(March 26, 2007) - it looks beautiful, what I want on my hair!

OMG! who knows! I have totally screwed up my hair with too much previous color.

On around 3/10, I colored my hair with Revlon Colorist Reddish Brown. My hair is so porous right now, even with the touch-up method, it sucked up way too much color and got too dark. I got fed up with it, and did a partial color removal with ColorFix, which is what you are seeing in the 3/26/07 picture.

So, there is no way for me to tell you what color it is! It's a medium reddish brown that some of the color has been removed plus lots of other colors underneath! :cry:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

• kdkd Posts: 291Registered Users
    I tried nutrisse also this past weekend; my hair was really dark brown and i dyed it to med reddish brown; i don't know if there is a big difference , but you can check out my photos and let me know.
    I can't ever seem to get mine red enough either.
    comic-p.jpg

Hairveda Whipped cream, suave tropical coconut, kenra, pantene r&n mask:color:http://public.fotki.com/silkycurlskd/

event.png
    kd wrote:
    I tried nutrisse also this past weekend; my hair was really dark brown and i dyed it to med reddish brown; i don't know if there is a big difference , but you can check out my photos and let me know.
    I can't ever seem to get mine red enough either.

I checked out your pictures and I didn't see much red, either. I couldn't tell which pics were before and which ones were after.

Though I probably shouldn't be giving advice considering the torture I have put my hair through with color, I do know that they make some hair dyes especially for dark hair. I think Garnier Nutrisse calls their product like this the "Nutri-Browns" or something similar (or is that what you used?) I'm guessing these products probably have a higher perioxide percentage that your regular drug store color.

the kids are absolute cuties.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file