My hair hates the co wash

PearlRowellPearlRowell Posts: 50Registered Users
I really wanna start it but my hair doesn't respond positively it just feels grease(ier)and floppy my hair likes my sulphate free shampoos but co washing ain't cleansing my hair. Mabey I'm doing it wrong?
Thanks curlies
Pearl 😄

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I start wash day by spritzing my hair with sea breeze. Doing so helps all my products rinse out. I massage my scalp with the sea breeze. Then while in the shower, I scrub my scalp with the conditioner. Rinse that out. Then second wash I take the conditioner in my hands and take a section of hair in my hands. Then with hair in between my hairs, move my hands back and forth. I do that til I have done my whole head. Then rinse that out. Then scrub my scalp one last time with my conditioner. Doing this my hair is squeaky clean. Using the sea breeze help keep down the greasiness.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In between my hands.
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I really wanna start it but my hair doesn't respond positively it just feels grease(ier)and floppy my hair likes my sulphate free shampoos but co washing ain't cleansing my hair. Mabey I'm doing it wrong?
    Thanks curlies
    Pearl 😄

Which conditioner are you using? Did you use a sulfate shampoo one last time before starting to get rid of any former product buildup? It's really important to massage your scalp well with the conditioner, then rinse very well to get everything out of the hair.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • PearlRowellPearlRowell Posts: 50Registered Users
    Which conditioner are you using? Did you use a sulfate shampoo one last time before starting to get rid of any former product buildup? It's really important to massage your scalp well with the conditioner, then rinse very well to get everything out of the hair.( quote)

I used herbal essences hello hydration conditioner and it left a white residue on my scalp which built up and made my pores clog and therefore my hair was unclean. Well no... When I tried to start co washing I was already using a sulfate and parben free one (the body shop) and it cleanses my scalp really well. I will try to massage the conditioner next time I try thanks!

Pearl 😄
    The herbal essences conditioner contains Silicones. A few people use silicone conditioners to co wash, but I'd suggest using something cone free if you want to get a sense of whether this will really work for you.
  • geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    I agree with SereneCurls: it sounds like it's the ingredients of the conditioner you are using letting you down rather than the method itself.

There are lots of silicone-free conditioner options in stores, so you can just go by what you like the smell of best after checking the label. Avoid a conditioner that has any ingredient whose name ends in cone, conol, or oxane.

EDIT: let me add that although the link below splits "co-washes" and "regular conditioners" into two separate categories, it is possible to use one as the other without consequence, it's just a matter of narrowing down what conditioning properties (i.e. presence or lack of protein) your hair likes.

Here is a list of products compiled by another board member that should be free of silicone and other buildup-causing chemicals, as a rough guide. Be sure to double-check your label before you buy, though, because sometimes products get reformulated, and it's hard for us to keep up with all of them! http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/147483-cg-friendly-product-list.html
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Products and technique are highly relevant. CO-washing will not shift many silicones, some polyquats, butters, petrolatum nor waxes. It will shift normal greasy sebum and heavy natural liquid oil treatments.

Technique wise CO-washing is nothing like conditioning, it is like shampooing. You need to use LOADS of product, massage until you build up a light 'lather', possibly clip up and soak, possibly repeat if your hair is very dirty, rinse with yet more massage until the scalp literally feels 'squeaky' clean.

If you have a scalp condition like seborrhoeic dermatitis or use heavy non-water miscible products CO-washing may not be suitable for you.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    I will try is with Tresseme naturals this time and message you guys a picture to show the results and also tell you. Thanks for the help!
    Pearl 😄
    Don't forget to use a basic shampoo first to reset your hair so you can see your results without the Silicones. :)
    I deep conditioned then co washed with Tresseme naturals then sealed with cold olive oil, picked my hair for added length and volume then sprayed my hair with leave in co. THEN BAM NEW AND IMPROVED AFRO!!!ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1406491924.173651.jpgImageUploadedByCurlTalk1406491945.370072.jpg

I really enjoy co washing and can't wait to see how it improves my hair.
    Thanks guys!
    Pearl 😄
    I will then band my hair tonight to stretch out my curls and spray with water and leave in tomorrow and seal with cold olive oil.
  • geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    Your curls look good and, more importantly, you look happy with them! Hope all continues to go well.
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • SweetRellieSweetRellie Posts: 468Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I found this on Pinterest and thought this was interesting:
    Thick, highly porous but protein sensitive 4a hair
    Modified Curly Girl Method

Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    Shampoo: NYM Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Shampoo
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Leave-In: Maui Moisture's Curl Milk or Shea Butter Hair Mask
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
    Sealants: Maui Moisture's Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist
    Scalp Treatment: Alikay Naturals Hair & Scalp Balm; Essential 17 Growth Oil
    Very interesting actually

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file