Do I need protein? Deep conditioning? Help!

kmcnelis1kmcnelis1 Posts: 23Registered Users
I just started CG this past week. I've been straightening my hair with a flat iron for years and I want to stop damaging it so much.

It's going mostly well, the back looks great. But the front! Yikes! The front pieces are flat and limp (see picture). The front pieces were subjected to my flat iron more than the rest of my hair so I'm assuming and hoping it's just damaged from that. What do you experts suggest I do to fix this? I bought the ingredients to make the DIY gelatin treatment and plan on using that this weekend, although I am kind of apprehensive about it because my hair is on the coarser side of medium. Most of my hair is medium porosity but I think the ends are high due to the damage. Should I do the PT and then follow it with a DC?

This is what I'm currently using:

Cowash: CJ daily fix
RO: CJ Argan and Olive oil
LI: CJ Argan and Olive oil or KCKT
Styler: Herbal Essences Set Me Up (old cone free version)

Any suggestions? The two photos below were taken on the same day within minutes of each other, there is literally that much difference between the front and the back. I'm embarrassed to go to work with it like that, I look like I rolled out of bed and didn't do anything to my hair, even though I scrunched in KCKT and a little bit of gel that morning. BLEGH.

e3u3udam.jpg

apazyhyt.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2C-3A / Medium Texture / Normal Porosity (High on heat-damaged ends) / Normal Elasticity

CG since 7/21/14:
Cowash: CJ Daily Fix or V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze
RO: CJ Argan & Olive Oil
LI: KCKT
DT: CJ Repair Me!
Stylers: KCCC
PT: Science-y Hair Blog's gelatin treatment - my hair can't get enough protein.

Open to new suggestions!

Comments

• geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    Yes, I think the flat iron damage is definitely what is going on there.

It's worth trying to do a protein treatment and deep condition. You can make a dilute version of the protein treatment if you're worried about your hair rebelling against it... or you could test how your hair likes it with a protein-y cheap product (like v05 condish or Colorful Neutral Protein Filler) before doing the full monty. Best case scenario, that perks your hair back up. Worst case scenario, it doesn't do much of anything and then it's worth considering a cut and re-grow-out.

The only other option I could think of would be to "do stuff" with the straighter pieces. You could do a small braid toward the back of your head with them to keep them out of your face, or use foam rollers to coax those pieces into behaving more like the rest of your hair does, without the use of heat.

You are right, though, the back is looking great! :)
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • kmcnelis1kmcnelis1 Posts: 23Registered Users
    Thank you so much! The V05 idea is a good one and I will run out to buy that asap. I love the braid idea as well. Today I just pinned the front pieces back with bobby pins, and while that got them out of my face, the limp pieces looked way out of place trailing down the back, over those better-formed curls. The braid would hide that. Very clever.

Thanks again for your suggestions!
    2C-3A / Medium Texture / Normal Porosity (High on heat-damaged ends) / Normal Elasticity

CG since 7/21/14:

Open to new suggestions!
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You may or may not need to follow a pt with a dt /dc. If you rinse it out and your hair feels normal, just do your regular routine. If it feels a bit dry, be sure you follow with moisture, maybe leave your RO on longer for better penetration. If it feels very dry or even straw-like, follow with a dt /dc.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Okay, so last night I did the gelatin treatment from the Sciency Hair blog. I tested it on a little piece first to make sure my hair wasn't going to freak out and it was fine, so I cowashed my hair with CJ Daily fix and slathered the gelatin mix on, and left it under a plastic cap for five minutes. Then I took your advice Geek_Chic (wow the two of you have similar user names!) and after re-cowashing with the Daily Fix, I combed in lots of CJ Argan & Olive Oil and left that in for probably between five and ten minutes while I finished my shower.

And OH MY GOODNESS The improvement is amazing. The hair is curling like the rest of my hair! I'm flabbergasted at how big the difference is, between just two days ago and today.

Thank you both so much for the help. This forum is just the best, I'd be completely lost without it :love10:

CG since 7/21/14:

Open to new suggestions!
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kmcnelis1 wrote: »
    Okay, so last night I did the gelatin treatment from the Sciency Hair blog. I tested it on a little piece first to make sure my hair wasn't going to freak out and it was fine, so I cowashed my hair with CJ Daily fix and slathered the gelatin mix on, and left it under a plastic cap for five minutes. Then I took your advice Geek_Chic (wow the two of you have similar user names!) and after re-cowashing with the Daily Fix, I combed in lots of CJ Argan & Olive Oil and left that in for probably between five and ten minutes while I finished my shower.

And OH MY GOODNESS The improvement is amazing. The hair is curling like the rest of my hair! I'm flabbergasted at how big the difference is, between just two days ago and today.

Thank you both so much for the help. This forum is just the best, I'd be completely lost without it :love10:

Big difference, Kmcnelis! Since 5 minutes did well, you might consider leaving it on longer next time. Up to a point, more time = more protein that can absorb into the hair. My own is fine textured, but undamaged, and I found that 15-30 minutes was the sweet spot for me in terms of pt time.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is somewhat damaged due to being dyed. I get the best curling without dryness from a leave in conditioner rich in hydrolysed protein. It's quicker than deep treating and doesn't leave damaged hair soaking wet for long periods (this can cause hygral fatigue).
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 579Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Right with you Firefox! Although I recently purchased Eco's new Curling Cocktail, and am really liking what it's doing for my protein craving hair. I suspect it must have a good amount of protein, as it's making my very fine hair full of strong, spirally bounces - not unlike the results obtained from a PT. It's a lot less work than a PT, too.
  • jessica268jessica268 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thank you so much for this thread.

After 8 years of using a curling iron on the hottest setting every single day, I have the exact problem you do, where my front pieces look just limp and stringy.

Hopefully, CJ Repair Me will give me similar results to yours. Twelve years ago I had 3a/3b curls and it's hard to fathom exactly how much damage curly hair must take to become loosely wavy...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jessica268 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this thread.

After 8 years of using a curling iron on the hottest setting every single day, I have the exact problem you do, where my front pieces look just limp and stringy.

Hopefully, CJ Repair Me will give me similar results to yours. Twelve years ago I had 3a/3b curls and it's hard to fathom exactly how much damage curly hair must take to become loosely wavy...

I know, my curls are a lot looser than they used to be too, but I can see them really trying to re-form in my under layers. I'm hoping by treating them better they'll be back to their old selves soon.

I really want to try CJ Repair Me as well! I'm going to order a bottle soon. Let me know what you think!

I also took the advice of some other curlies in this thread and bought some V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze today. It has hydrolyzed collagen in it so I'm hoping it will help with the limpness. I will update once I use it!

CG since 7/21/14:

Open to new suggestions!
    BeinDeb wrote: »
    Right with you Firefox! Although I recently purchased Eco's new Curling Cocktail, and am really liking what it's doing for my protein craving hair. I suspect it must have a good amount of protein, as it's making my very fine hair full of strong, spirally bounces - not unlike the results obtained from a PT. It's a lot less work than a PT, too.

This Curling Cocktail looks great! It looks like it has collagen in it which is probably what is helping. My hair has not been reacting to glycerin very well in the humidity where I live, so I may try this one once autumn hits and the dew points get lower.

CG since 7/21/14:

Open to new suggestions!
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 579Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm really liking it kmcnelis1. I'm on day 5 hair, using nothing but that with a little SM curling gel souffle over it. You may want to try it now...I live in TX, and where I'm at, we've had dew points in the high 60's, low 70's all week.
    glad I'm following this thread! I've been looking for new styling and/or LI options and didn't even *know* about the Eco curl cocktail.. looks like a new must-try for me. :)
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • jessica268jessica268 Posts: 2Registered Users
    kmcnelis1 wrote: »
    I know, my curls are a lot looser than they used to be too, but I can see them really trying to re-form in my under layers. I'm hoping by treating them better they'll be back to their old selves soon.

I really want to try CJ Repair Me as well! I'm going to order a bottle soon. Let me know what you think!

I also took the advice of some other curlies in this thread and bought some V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze today. It has hydrolyzed collagen in it so I'm hoping it will help with the limpness. I will update once I use it!

The CJ Repair Me was wonderful. My front pieces, which looked like yours, have completely bounced back.

I can't post images yet, so I stuck the aftershot of how my front curls bounced back in my signature.

The only problem is the top of my head is still not curling at all (in fact, it's flatter than ever - though very shiny now! - and stuck so close to my head all day...), and the back must just be weighed down from length so other than clumping & shining more, it hasn't changed drastically.

But hey, progress!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jessica268 wrote: »

The CJ Repair Me was wonderful. My front pieces, which looked like yours, have completely bounced back.

I can't post images yet, so I stuck the aftershot of how my front curls bounced back in my signature.

The only problem is the top of my head is still not curling at all (in fact, it's flatter than ever - though very shiny now! - and stuck so close to my head all day...), and the back must just be weighed down from length so other than clumping & shining more, it hasn't changed drastically.

But hey, progress!

I'm so glad to hear that it worked well! Payday is Thursday and it's going to be the first thing I buy!

I wish I knew more about all this stuff to be able to offer a suggestion for the problem on the top of your head, but I have no idea! I'm sure there's a solution out there and I'm sure someone reading this can help.

CG since 7/21/14:

Open to new suggestions!
    argh. the Pennsylvania Sally's near my mom's didn't have the eco curl cocktail. Then again, their natural/ethnic hair care section is shameful compared to the store in VA I'm used to! anyway, I picked up the olive oil ecostyler and some neutral protein filler... Those should hold over my experimental curiosity until I can save up to splurge on Curl Junkie. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file