Feels like LOTION in my head!!! BLACH!

I am pretty new at this...in fact..today was my FIRST no 'poo day. It seemed to go ok. I loved the definition I got...I just need to get a haircut (been over a year now!) so it doesn't get weighed down (especially on top).

But tonight....I reached INTO my hair at the nape of my neck and it felt like I had slathered lotion in it (like HAND lotion)..that thick, lotion-y feel. I thought maybe I had gotten too much of something somewhere so I tried a different spot..on the TOP of my head..and sure enough..LOTIONY...and not just IN the hair..but on top, too. I can put the palm of my hand on the top of my head and feel it. Even when I take my hand off my head, my hand is like lotion-y/coated-like....I totally need to wash my hands (can't SEE anything, though...just the feel..ick).

BLACH! What is going on?? I don't really remember that this morning, but I didn't touch too much, either. Now I want to go lather the shampoo on and get the nasty stuff off!!

What happened! What did I do wrong???

Comments

• wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    What products did you use? Especially, which condish did you use to wash?
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • [Anonymous User][Anonymous User] Posts: 0 Curl Connoisseur
    Well...I took a TAD of shampoo and rubbed it over my hair to get the old nasty stuff out (didn't lather...just rubbed it into the hair)....

Then I did Creme of Nature conditioner...which made my hair feel SUPERB Now THAT is pretty neat stuff by the feel.

I did, too, the edible aloe vera gel thing in my scalp, but that was really hard and I did't get a lot of that done because it is soooo liquid-y that I swear I was using the whole bottle trying to get it on and in as loose as is......

Then I rinsed it out.

Used the clear gel.....and the Curls Rock Amplifier (Catwalk brand) since I always loved that stuff and it seemed CG friendly by the ingrediants (unlike their poo!!).

BUT.....later in the evening I did make the vegtable glycerine/water mixture in the CG book for the hair spray and did a couple sprays on my hair (That was before I discovered the lotion-y feel)....

So I don't know if it was that stuff or what....but I feel it, too, in places I didn't spray.

Thanks for any insight!!!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    The glycerine may be doing it; can be heavy
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    carrie640 wrote:
    Well...I took a TAD of shampoo and rubbed it over my hair to get the old nasty stuff out (didn't lather...just rubbed it into the hair)....

Then I did Creme of Nature conditioner...which made my hair feel SUPERB Now THAT is pretty neat stuff by the feel.

I did, too, the edible aloe vera gel thing in my scalp, but that was really hard and I did't get a lot of that done because it is soooo liquid-y that I swear I was using the whole bottle trying to get it on and in as loose as is......

Then I rinsed it out.

Used the clear gel.....and the Curls Rock Amplifier (Catwalk brand) since I always loved that stuff and it seemed CG friendly by the ingrediants (unlike their poo!!).

BUT.....later in the evening I did make the vegtable glycerine/water mixture in the CG book for the hair spray and did a couple sprays on my hair (That was before I discovered the lotion-y feel)....

So I don't know if it was that stuff or what....but I feel it, too, in places I didn't spray.

Thanks for any insight!!!

Cyclomethicone is a cone and pretty high on the list.
    Ingredients: aqua (water/eau), VP/DMAPA Acrylates Coplymer, Cyclomethicone, Polyquaternium-11, Polyqyaternium-37, styrene/butadienr copolymer, parfum (fragrance), amyl cinnamal, hydroxycitronellal, benzyl salicylate, geraniol, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, butylphenyl methylpropional, linalool, citronellol, hexyl cinnamal, limonene, plysorbate 60, Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, propylene glycol dicaprylate/dicaprate, cetearyl alcohol, PPG-1Trideceth-6, C12-15 Alkyl benzoate, helianthus annuus (hybrid sunflower) oil, panthenol, bacopamonniera extract, pvp/dimethylaminoethylmethacrylate copolymer, cinnamidopopyltrimonium chloride, chitosan, butylenes glycol, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed acid, methylisothiazolinone, methylchloroisothiazolinone

I tried the glycerine spray without much luck at all. I used regular glycerine, not the vegetable kind, though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • [Anonymous User][Anonymous User] Posts: 0 Curl Connoisseur
    Holy cow....what ingrediants is that for??? Something I am using??

WAIT..I just looked at the amplifier...and it is up there on it.

I looked at the Curls Rock Booster that I like, too (Didn't use it yesterday) and I don't see a -cone on it (only one that has a PEG in front of it...).

Is that ok to use?

Ingredients: Aqua (water), dimethyl ether, methacryloyl ethyl, betaine/acrylates copolymer, parfum (fragrance), quaternium-52, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Isopropyl C12-15-Pareth-9 Carboxylate, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methyl Gluceth-20, Panthenol.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    carrie640 wrote:
    Holy cow....what ingrediants is that for??? Something I am using??

It's in your curls rock.

I have it in one of my curl creams. I only use it about once a week or so because I don't want cone buildup. Some people can tolerate it better.

As suburbanbushbabe wrote, glycerine can be heavy for some.

It also could be that you needed more rinsing, or that it was a lot of product for you. I know that I've had more conditioner left in my ahir than I wanted sometimes because I have not rinsed well enough. It felt goopy.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    All the aloe vera might be an issue as well. When I've used the edible kind I've always put it in a spray bottle and just lightly sprayed it in as a leave-in conditioner. Half a bottle would be a lot of gunk on your hair (even with a lot of rinsing :)).
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    I don't think the cyclomethicone would've been responsible for the "lotiony" feeling, it's really a volatile 'cone (in other words, most of it evaporates); I just think the culprit was the combo of all those things you put on, especially the glycerin which, to begin with is sticky and can feel pretty greasy. I think when used it should be in very small amounts, yet the book calls for "equal parts of glycerin and water", yikes!

But please keep in mind that CG is meant to simplify our hair care, it really only calls for CO and a gel. Although the product with the PEG-12 dimethicone should be OK to use (but do beware of all those parabens for health reasons...) I suggest that you leave the experimenting with other products for when you've mastered the basics and completed the first 3 weeks, which is the average time it takes for the sebum to travel down the length of the hair and for it to be remoisturized after quitting the use of shampoo.

2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Definitely the glycerin mixture. Glycerin can really boost up your curls, but you have to use the TINIEST amount or else it will make your hair feel seriously yucky.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file