When will I see the results of adding protein to my hair?

amtsergamtserg Posts: 52Registered Users
Hi!

I've recently noticed that my hair (2a) is showing some symptoms of needing more protein (not clumping right, droopy, ect.) but since the hair itself feels healthy other than that, I decided I didn't want to do a protein treatment and run the risk of overdoing it because I have a tendency to go overboard.

So instead, I bought a shampoo with protein in it (Burts Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate Shampoo: it has hydrolyzed jojoba protein and sodium cocoyl hydrolyzed soy protein)

(I was using a shampoo with no protein it in before, and my conditioner says hydrolyzed wheat protein but I believe it is only a small amount)

But now I'm wondering how long it will take for my hair to begin showing signs of the added protein? (ie. looking normal again)

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Depends on a lot of factors. But if you do a protein treatment, you should see the results immediately. The one that worked wonders for me is this one, IA Girl's protein treatment:

Science-y Hair Blog: Recipes and Projects

If your hair is visibly showing signs of not having enough protein, you can probably do a PT and not overdo it. The small amt of protein in the shampoo/conditioner, plus the short amount of time you leave it in your hair (well, that depends) will not have as much impact. For me, conditioners helped somewhat but I never got the results I have now until I did a protein treatment.

If you're worried about overdoing it, keep the treatment in for 5 minutes only, and don't repeat it soon after that. Most people that overdo protein, seem to report that it is multiple treatments close together that did that to them. And also if you tend to go overboard, then avoid protein in shampoo/conditioner after a PT. I can't speak from experience though, as my hair never tires of protein.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • MissCamilleMissCamille Posts: 47Registered Users
    My hair eats protein--bleached, fine, and highly porous. Regular conditioners with protein really never lead to protein overload on my hair.
    I would use your products for a week or two and if you need more protein do a treatment. I would avoid heavy treatments if you are nervous, such as aphogee 2-step. I found the Ion re constructor to be good, but I would have to use it every week for my hair.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, one thing I wanted to add: according to IA girl's website (protein FAQs) her PT is 12% protein. In a finished product, it is recommended that protein content be between 1-5%. So if the protein in finished products isn't enough for your hair to get fast results, and you worry a PT would be too much, a compromise is to do IAgirl's treatment, but with double the amount of water. That way you'd get 6% protein (I think). More than you'd find in a finished product, but not by much.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Even though my hair is like MissCamille's, I agree with naturecat, it's best to start with less to see how your hair will react, you can always do it again soon. I've only done it once (need to soon!) and I think I used 1/2 an envelope in 1/2 C. water because I had a little left which I later used a hair gel. And I put a plastic cap on and a warmed up damp towel on top, then after my head had warmed up I put my Turbie-twist on it and left the PT on for about 15 min. It did enhance my curls up to the roots right away and the effect lasted for a good while.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is a 'how long is a piece of string?' question. Do you shampoo your lengths and do you leave the shampoo to soak? If the product does not contact your hair or does not contain enough protein you might not see results. Conversely you might benefit from the simple act of cleansing your lengths, if you have build up.

Generally with a rich protein treatment or intensive condition you'd expect some results after one session.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file