Is this an indication of higher porosity?

WhimsicurlWhimsicurl Registered Users Posts: 77 Curl Neophyte
My hair dried today in over 2 hours. At the 2 hr mark, much of it was mostly dry, while the back center of my head was still a little bit damp. It's a few hours later and there's still a faint cold feeling (slight slight dampness) but I have had my hair in a bun.

Or is this a medium porosity trait?

How long does low porosity hair usually take to dry?

I think my strands are medium width. I'm not sure about density. Maybe medium.
24y/o - 4a - Medium texture - Medium to high Density - Medium to High porosity - Still figuring things out

Low-Poo: SheaMoisture Moisture Retention
No-poo: Terresentials Pure Earth Hair Wash
Cowash: Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle, SheaMoisture Purification Masque
Leave-in: SheaMoisture Restorative, Nature's Gate Hemp
Styler: SheaMoisture Curling Gel Souffle
Deep Condish: Trying out KBB Luscious Locks, SheaMoisture Purification Masque
Oils: Coconut, Jojoba, SM Elixir

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    I would think it is a characteristic of higher porosity hair. Lower porosity hair normally takes a long time to dry. I have fine textured strands with low to normal density, and if I don't blot dry for awhile it takes the better part of the day for my hair to completely dry. Basically, washing around 8 or 8:30 in the morning, plopping, then styling means I can scrunch out the crunch on completely dry hair sometime in the early evening hours, ~4p or so. My hair is around collarbone length at the longest layers, when they are stretched out. I think medium porosity would be somewhere between those two amounts of drying times.

Based on your pictures I saw in the 4a thread you at the least seem to have medium density if not more dense hair.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • gardencurlsgardencurls Registered Users Posts: 573
    Did you do the "float" test? Two hours seems pretty fast, but I don't know how long your hair is. I have chin length (shoulder length when wet) and I swear sometimes it's not even dry in 24 hours. The ends get dry, sometimes within an hour, but the roots take hours and hours and hours, even in hot dry heat.
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I've heard the float test is junk science. The only way to truly know your hair type is to get a hair analysis.
    I've heard the float test is junk science. The only way to truly know your hair type is to get a hair analysis.

Oh. Sorry. I read about the float test here, but it was a couple of years ago.

What is done in a hair analysis?
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
    Whimsicurl, does your hair feel smooth or rough when you run your fingers down the shaft? If it's rough it's probably high porosity, which means it absorbs water easily. Your porosity may be different at the roots from the ends. Low porosity hair tends to "cling" to products, so it takes a long time to rinse out product. You can often feel "suds" or residue as soon as you wet your hair.
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Your hair most likely has different porosities on different parts of your strands. My hair for example - extremely high porosity on the ends, medium mid-shaft, and low at roots. I think this type of porosity is pretty common, especially if you are new to taking care of your hair.

Some tips I can give are putting your conditioner in starting at the tips, then go toward mid-shaft, and distribute the rest throughout the rest of your hair. Also in the winter if you use an oil, just seal at your ends and don't apply to entire head.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights