Deep conditioner

MissQuirkyMissQuirky Posts: 44Registered Users
So I have tried various deep conditioners because my hair is very dry this summer, my natural hair is low porosity and the damaged part is high so makes it difficult--but every time my hair comes out feeling like STRAW. It's awful and makes me feel like I need to re-wash although it doesn't help.

Has anyone else had this issue? I condition and moisturize frequently.

Comments

• crushcrush Posts: 53Registered Users
    I have had the same experience. I bought a expensive dt that said high moisture. Well it made my hair feel like straw. I just reconditioned it with my li.
    People told me it is a trail and error. What works for one may not for others.
    I ended up making a dt. with my cg cond, avg, evoo, honey. the recipe is on the main tabs. anyway it helped a lot for me, 3b,med porosity. I also have a combination texture. I am fairly new to this site, so will be interesting to see your replies.
    Good Luck, love the name, quirky
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    2 things - does it contain protein, and have you clarified?
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • MissQuirkyMissQuirky Posts: 44Registered Users
    Yes I definitely clarify, my scalp tends to get incredibly oily otherwise. The most notable things in common that aren't in anything else are avocado oil, soybean oil, and various flower extracts that I don't have in any other product I use. I know it's not Shea butter because I use it in another product and it's fine. The one that dries out my hair the most is Sheamoisture's dt masque.
  • Stinalee1120Stinalee1120 Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Novice
    It's the avocado oil... It has proteins.... Probably the soybean too, but avocado for sure.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Pure oils don't contain proteins.

What some oils do is help retain the proteins in your hair. Some are better at this job than others.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @MissQuirky how often do you clarify you hair? If you use you clarifying shampoo frequently then hair will not have a chance to recover it's moisture levels and you will end up with dry hair.

Also using products with glycerine and other humectants in them some weather conditions can lead to dry hair.

I would list all the products you use not just the common ingredients as some ingredients have a similar purpose to one another.
  • MissQuirkyMissQuirky Posts: 44Registered Users
    I am not at home so excuse me if I miss one, what has not worked is Sheamoisture Raw Shea Masque, Aussie 3 minute miracle, mixed chicks deep conditioner, and palmers coconut protein pack. I tried the latter because it was available to me and I figured id try something different. As other products, for my conditioner I use Matrix Biolage hydrotherape, I use sheamoisture hibiscus and coconut as a regular shampoo when needed and a clarifying (some cheap walgreens brand) about once a month. Currently I use Kinky curly knot today, Argan oil, Curls Creme brûlée, Devacurl AnGel, and Carols daughter hair pudding. Obviously I do not use these all at once, it varies by what the weather is doing. The carols daughter I rarely use in the summer, it works best in the winter for me.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When did you last chelate (remove mineral build up from harder water)?

How many of your conditioners are rich in the major emollients (fatty alcohols/ cationic surfactants)? These primarily soften, give slip, patch repair damage, act as weak humectants helping hair hold the right amount of water.

Kinky Curly Knot Today is not really a 'true' conditioner but rather a detangler, it is low in the major emollients AND has a pH of 7 (hair prefers ~4.5). Other than that I see a heavy emphasis on natural oils, butters, waxes, silicones which are all occlusive (form a barrier).

If chelating and using true intensive and leave in conditioners does not help your ends, it may be they are simply too damaged to patch up and need to be trimmed off.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • Stinalee1120Stinalee1120 Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Novice
    When did you last chelate (remove mineral build up from harder water)?

How many of your conditioners are rich in the major emollients (fatty alcohols/ cationic surfactants)? These primarily soften, give slip, patch repair damage, act as weak humectants helping hair hold the right amount of water.

Kinky Curly Knot Today is not really a 'true' conditioner but rather a detangler, it is low in the major emollients AND has a pH of 7 (hair prefers ~4.5). Other than that I see a heavy emphasis on natural oils, butters, waxes, silicones which are all occlusive (form a barrier).

If chelating and using true intensive and leave in conditioners does not help your ends, it may be they are simply too damaged to patch up and need to be trimmed off.

Interesting...what would be some good conditioners/leave ins that focus more on emollients???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file