CurlTalk

Coming Soon -- CurlTalk Redesign :)

atx_eveatx_eve Posts: 278Moderators
What's up, CurlTalk :afro:

As you have seen, we're redesigning NaturallyCurly.com! For a blast from the past (2012), look how far we've come >> /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fweb%2F20120103141935%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.naturallycurly.com%2F" class="Popup

It's been quite the experience redesigning 15 years of curly content and we're ready to carry the design change to our longest running feature -- the place where it all started -- CurlTalk!

THIS IS NOT A CHANGE IN FUNCTIONALITY, simply a change in design so that CurlTalk matches the rest of the website's look & feel. All the icons will remain and do the same things. I repeat -- the WAY curltalk works is not changing! Just makin' her look a little bit cuter :love1:

Attached are some photos of what you can expect. As you'll see, the blue/pink/orange combo is soooo 3 years ago lol. Everything will be uniform now, so when people land on CurlTalk they don't think they've been taken to some other place. Same NaturallyCurly goodness.

The change will be made next Monday (July 21). I made this a thread instead of my usual announcement so that you can easily communicate with me once the new design is live!

Talk to you soon!
:hiding: NaturallyCurly.com Social Media + Community Manager | evelyn@naturallycurly.com | Happy To Be Nappy | Kenyan With The Slowest Mile Time | Magical Black Girl

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like it! Will look a lot sleeker :)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Looks very polished!!! Hopefully the changeover runs smoothly!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • atx_eveatx_eve Posts: 278Moderators
    I think it looks great! If you need help finding anything in the new design (should be in the same spot though) just let me know!
    :hiding: NaturallyCurly.com Social Media + Community Manager | evelyn@naturallycurly.com | Happy To Be Nappy | Kenyan With The Slowest Mile Time | Magical Black Girl
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,220Registered Users Curl Neophyte
  • wavypenwavypen Posts: 253Registered Users
    I like it except that other than entering the forum or remembering when I was last on I can't tell if there are new posts or not like I used to be able to. I understand if an icon next to the forum name that changes whether or not there are new posts doesn't match your redesign concept (that's how I used to tell). I can tell this will probably become annoying and more time consuming if I have to enter many forums individually to see if there are new posts, unless there is some other way to tell (and perhaps mark a forum read) without going in that I don't know. Perhaps you could make the titles of forums with new posts bolded and those without new posts not bolded or something like that?
  • wavypenwavypen Posts: 253Registered Users
    I also don't see a way to click just for the unread posts in a thread and that I find extremely annoying. I think the redesign looks good, you just need to bring back some functionality (or tell me what not understanding).
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    There is too much white, which is making it very difficult to read the posts.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    It also seems that blocked users are now shown.
    It is also difficult to read the quotes within a post.

:confused:
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Here's the thread if you're having issues!

http://m.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=173508
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is weird, just because I'm not used to it. Hopefully it will grow on me once I figure it out. I second the white.. I liked the gray background.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Also, when changing the color of text in a post, the colors seem to go way down to the bottom of the page... I had to scroll down to get the box of colors to show on my screen. We also seem to have lost the "Last Page" in searching a thread - unless I'm just not seeing it? Found it... double arrows, it's not labeled like it was previously.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    This will take some getting used to.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Ok, this is not good. There needs to be a colour break up, or boxes or something, everything just blends togeather and makes it very hard to follow a discussion.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Yeah.. I don't like it. The links are weird with no buttons, the discussion is weird with no real break in between posts.
    I'm having difficulty multi-quoting, I click the multi-quote button like I would before and nothing happens.

Plus the multi-quotes in the discussions are not broken up to see who quoted what. Before there were boxes around them to show who posted, who quoted, and what you quoted. I was going to give an example here, but can't get the button to work.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    You know, I saw that thread and started to read the post, but with the new design of the site, it looked like it was about a change that happened in 2009 so I just stopped reading and asked in SIIDY, LOL
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,760Registered Users
    It's very difficult to read, IMO
    3a/b, CG mostly.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This is what you see with a multiple quote, way to difficult to distinguish who's saying what.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I wasn't trying to correct you, Scrills, just figured for anyone that hadn't been over there :)

It's pretty awful though, you can't discern who's saying what at all.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1405968226.113304.jpg
    Audrey Hepburn
    Ha, no I didn't think you were. I was just saying that because I thought it was funny that the new design makes it so hard to read that I didn't realize I was reading about the new design because it was so hard to read :-)
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,682Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not good with change. This is odd - too much white 'open-ness'. not enough hmm... demarcation between things.
    Middle of the night word-finding-difficulties here, maybe I should repost when I can think properly!
    3b in South Australia.
  • ivanatorivanator Posts: 9Registered Users
    Our first intention was to do no harm, but I do understand that with the style change somethings might not be as obvious as they might have been before. How were you able to see which posts were unread before? Unfortunately when we are re-styling something some of these functionalities, these subtleties are lost.
  • ivanatorivanator Posts: 9Registered Users
    This is what you see with a multiple quote, way to difficult to distinguish who's saying what.

I agree, we'll deal with this issue as soon as possible.
    Thanks!

I'm mostly on my phone, only checked it from a computer quickly. That was the only big issue I saw. Maybe shades of grey for the quoted stuff? And outlined in boxes.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is the final look? I thought this was an "under construction" patch.:scratch:

What happened to "go unread post" button? I need that button!!!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I see the View First Unread in my upper right hand corner.

But why can't i see any of the pics in the charades game? I am using IE but also tried in Chrome. Nothing. Just little boxes.:confused:

I see the View First Unread in my upper right hand corner.

But why can't i see any of the pics in the charades game? I am using IE but also tried in Chrome. Nothing. Just little boxes.:confused:

I think you can only see them from a phone. I've never been able to see them anywhere (email, FB, here, etc) from a computer.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,682Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's just all too open somehow, and too white. Apart from the great big black numbers indicating the no. of posts and views!
    For me (and I realise it's probably only a problem for me) having the posts saying 1 day ago or 16 hours ago is too vague - I like having the actual time there so I can see what's been posted since I was last here (I always look at the time of my last visit as I'm so often out of sync with the rest of you with the time difference).
    3b in South Australia.
    The signatures also need to be in a box or something, they look like they are part of the post.
    Audrey Hepburn

Leave a Comment