CurlTalk

How to stop fluffy waves??

Hi!

So my hair (2a) has been through over-conditoned hell and back over the past month, but my hair is FINALLY getting back to normal! (YES!!) However, the top of my hair is flatter than its ever been and the bottom is fluffy. (Not frizzy. Fluffy)

For the past month I'd been shampooing daily to get protein back in my hair (it was a keratin shampoo) but a week and a half ago, I switched back to my old routine of Loreal EverPure Moisture shampoo and conditioner, neither of which has protein, and only shampooing every other day.

My wave pattern/clumping is coming back, but it's bringing flatness and fluffiness with it!

Any idea why this is? Is my flat and fluffy hair a symptom of less shampooing and that my hair/scalp is adjusting? I just bought a volume conditioner today with protein, will that help?

(For reference: I braid my hair wet at night and let it out in the morning, and it has never been fluffy before.)

Comments

• virginbluevirginblue Posts: 194Registered Users
    Have you tried a protein treatment before? I'm on mobile so I can't see your siggy. My waves get undefined if I don't use enough protein.
    2b//high porosity//fine texture//medium density//low elasticity//loves protein
    Lo-poo: SMMR, SMC&S
    Clarifying: VO5 shampoos
    Co-wash: VO5 conditioners
    RO: VO5 conditioners
    Styling: AIF, FSG, gelatin gel, ecostyler krystal
    PT: IAGirl's gelatin treatment
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    Hi! Just my 2 cents, but those L'Oreal shampoos have polyquats in them and possible silicones. I'll have to google the ingredients again but someone else on here was using them and having issues. So I would suggest using a basic suave or V05 shampoo and clarifying your hair. If you have coconut oil, do an overnight pre-poo with that so your length is protected from the harsh sulfates. Then try a gelatin protein treatment, then definitely deep condition afterwards.

Clarifying can resolve all kinds of issues and is easy to do. Don't bother with a baking soda cleanse, those are really harsh for both your hair and and skin.

Neutrogena also has a good and simple "Anti-Residue shampoo that a lot of people like for clarifying. But it's a bit more expensive than the other 2 brands I mentioned earlier.

Hope something works out for you! Be sure to let us know how things are going :D
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

• eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users
    Silicones and sulphates used to make my hair fluffy.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thumbs down on the l'Oreal from me too. I can get fluffy without a good leave in.
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    I'm in agreement with clarifying, then trying a protein treatment (I'd recommend a simple one like the gelatin treatment!)
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lol I was going to show you fluffy waves but I don't take pics when it's that way I discovered. Mostly for me it means all my clumps have morphed together in big bumps and are puffy.
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users
    For me fluffy means my hair almost defies gravity. But not as wispy as fly away, not as thin as frizz. Like it wants to raise up and float
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users
    For me, fluffy waves happen when I diffuse with the soft bonnet hood. Hard hold gel keeps my hair more defined.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT