High or low porosity?

afrofunkmonkafrofunkmonk Registered Users Posts: 6
I can not tell what porosity my hair is. I've tried the float test and my hair stayed at the top. Then I tried the slip and slide test and I have bumps in my hair. This has confused me very much because according to to these two test I have both low and high porosity hair. Another reason I'm confused is that when I go to wash my hair my hair takes a long time to get wet but it dries really quickly and when I go to put products on my hair it takes awhile for it to absorb and when my hair dries my hair is dry and feels like I have not put anything on my hair at all. Also, I am trying to find out what type of products to use on my hair because the products I have do not really work that well on my hair and my guess was that I am not using the right products for my porosity but I don't know what my porosity is.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I can not tell what porosity my hair is. I've tried the float test and my hair stayed at the top. Then I tried the slip and slide test and I have bumps in my hair. This has confused me very much because according to to these two test I have both low and high porosity hair. Another reason I'm confused is that when I go to wash my hair my hair takes a long time to dry but it dries really quickly and when I go to put products on my hair it takes awhile for it to absorb and when my hair dries my hair is dry and feels like I have not put anything on my hair at all. Also, I am trying to find out what type of products to use on my hair because the products I have do not really work that well on my hair and my guess was that I am not using the right products for my porosity but I don't know what my porosity is.

The float test is notoriously unreliable. Your post is very confusing. In the same sentence, you say it takes a long time to dry and that it dries really quickly. If your hair dries quickly and readily absorbs product, it's more on the porous side. My hair takes a long time to dry and an even longer time to absorb product.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • afrofunkmonkafrofunkmonk Registered Users Posts: 6
    Sorry, that was supposed to say wet. Thanks for the reply.
  • lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    I would guess that you are low porosity- I thought my hair wasn't when I was using products not quite right for my hair too. When it seems like your hair doesn't take too long to dry after washing, is it also after you apply your styling products, and oils/butters to seal? What products are you using?

Also- if you have quite a bit of kinking along your strands- sudden "bends" within the strand this will come across as a bump when you slide your fingers along the strand. My hair is smooth between the points where it kinks. I liked how informative this article from the natural haven is: THE NATURAL HAVEN: Curly vs Kinky : What is the difference?
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,357 Curl Connoisseur
    lolo918 wrote: »
    I liked how informative this article from the natural haven is: THE NATURAL HAVEN: Curly vs Kinky : What is the difference?

wow! this is a great article.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    I use shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie and restorative conditioner, tresemme anti-sponge conditioner, kids organic shea butter detangling moisturizing hair lotion, and elasta qp olive oil and mango butter.
    I would guess that you are low porosity- I thought my hair wasn't when I was using products not quite right for my hair too. When it seems like your hair doesn't take too long to dry after washing, is it also after you apply your styling products, and oils/butters to seal? What products are you using?

No, it takes awhile to dry after I put on my styling products. The products I use are Shea moisture restorative conditioner and curl enhancing smoothie, tresemme anti-sponge, elasta qp olive and mango butter and kids organics Shea butter detangling moisturizing hair lotion.

No, it takes awhile to dry after I put on my styling products. The products I use are Shea moisture restorative conditioner and curl enhancing smoothie, tresemme anti-sponge, elasta qp olive and mango butter and kids organics Shea butter detangling moisturizing hair lotion.

Ok, I reread your first post also and this is my take away. It may or may not be right (and it may sound crazy) but those products have a lot of oils as the main emollients in them. Based on my hair experience, this could be the culprit behind feeling like your hair is feeling dry when it completely dries after styling. So here is why I think this. Back in November I was getting frustrated with not having second day hair- it was oily to the touch often but so fragile that any manipulation caused hairs to be shed all over the place. So to keep this from happening, I started spritzing my hair down with water, then later a water/conditioner mix, then later down the line a water/oil/conditioner mix at least once a day after I washed/rinsed. This went on for almost the entire first year I was natural. I rinsed/washed almost everyday because even if I put my hair in a scarf overnight I had no curls in the morning, and to get it styled I had to use enough conditioner to make my hair feel sort of wet anyway.

Anyway, to get to the point, I started searching and decided to try the tightly curly method since LOC was not working no matter what I did. I think I ended up getting to third day hair, so I have been doing that ever since. Then I noticed that when I used oil heavy things I started having some of the same symptoms of oily yet dry. To clarify what I wanted to know about how it feels dry is that, does it go from having some amount of slip and slide between the strands to the strands kind of sticking to each other?

Now, another thing that could be going on is if you have coarsely textured hair that has quite a bit of kinking along the strands, this may just be how your hair feels. If your hair is supple- can be played in and not necessarily look like it your moisture retention is pretty good, for instance. What texture is your hair- fine, medium, or coarse?

Also- are you using the shampoo or conditioner of the Tresemme? Either could also be an issue. As the shampoo ingredients that I found on the CVS site had 2 sulfates, then a betaine ingredient. All of those things are surfactants, so it could possibly really be stripping your hair. On the other hand, it would definitely help if you have buildup and only use it during those instances. The condtioner (found ingredients at drugstore.com) has quite silicones, some like the cyclopentasiloxane evaporate as they dry but dimethicone can build up if you aren't using something that can take it out. You didn't mention a shampoo, so that could also be the problem- buildup. For that you can use a betaine containing shampoo (usually these are sulfate free) or a sulfate shampoo anytime your hair gets to this gunky feeling. Ok, so this is really long but I hope it helps a little in figuring out where to go next for you.
    CG since November 2013.

Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    I use the conditioner not the shampoo. I mainly co-wash but I use the Shea moisture retention shampoo. For texture, I have coarse hair with a little medium texture. What products do you recommend?
    My hair is fine textured, so the shea moisture products just ended up being too much for my hair. If the dry issues you have are a recent thing, I'd start with seeing if this is buildup first. I get buildup easily, and so I have to low poo once a week. I think that the shea moisture you are using would count as a low poo, but for clarifying I'd suggest something with a betaine or lower sulfate. Right now I have the Curls unleashed sufate free shampoo for that- it's too much when I use it for a regular shampoo but I got it on clearance so I'm using it as a clarifying shampoo. I also really liked the Curls line pure curls clarifying shampoo- it is from their professional line so you have to order it online or find a salon that sells it. When my betaine containing shampoos still aren't doing the trick, I borrow some of the Tresemme naturals moisture shampoo from my mom, which has lower sulfates than normal.

I'm not sure if these products will help or not because of texture differences but I use the Aussie Moist conditioner- the silicone that it has isn't supposed to build up. It does tend to eventually leave a residue on my hair though so I at most use it once in a weeks time so this doesn't happen. The rest of the time, and for months now I've been using any of the Suave Naturals line that I can get my hands on. My favorites so far are the Everlasting sunshine and Coconut because I don't need to add oil to them. I also like the Tresemme naturals moisture conditioner. I would love to try the other 2 from their naturals line but I can't find them on the ground here.

If you have the time and don't need to go anywhere, you could try something like washing, wrapping your hair in a old t-shirt or microfiber towel for a bit, then applying the smoothie or more conditioner. This also helps my hair- if it's saturated when I put my product in it doesn't do as well. My hair also doesn't seem to like it when I layer products on- even if they are lighter products. So I mix conditioner with flax seed gel, or only apply one styler like I recommended with the smoothie. I also liked the Curls creme brulee- I haven't rebought since I started using conditioner though. It's so hard to justify to myself when the Suave products work for me and are only $1.50 for a pretty good sized bottle.
    CG since November 2013.

Okay, I will try that. Thanks for your help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file