Highlights-Now Hair Won't Air Dry?

liongirl29liongirl29 Registered Users Posts: 42
My hair is suddenly driving me nuts. I had highlights put in my hair 3 weeks ago and 6 weeks before that. The first time my hair was fine. This last time, though, I noticed my hair just will not air dry and won't form a gel cast. Seems to soak up product too. I have a looser curl pattern and my hair is like a poofy cloud without product so I NEED that cast! My hair usually takes 1.5 hours at most to air dry with just leave-in and gel scrunched in. May need to diffuse the roots but that's it.

Now, when hair is wet in the shower it alternates between feeling parched and feeling spongy so I have also been going nuts trying to balance the protein/moisture levels. Not going so hot.

Did the highlights cause this? Does anyone have any suggestions for products/ones to avoid or styling tips for me? I already figure I should avoid glycerin for now.

Thanks!
Curltype:Fine, 2C underneath, Mostly 3A, with some 3B thrown in there. Normal porosity.
Shampoo: Elucence, clarify with sulfates 1x per month
Conditioner: Elucence MBC,
Products: Devacurl Angel, LALSG
I can't go totally CG as it weighs my hair down FAST. Hard water.
Bad haircut finally starting to grow out and look normal again!

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Highlights and bleaching can make your hair more porous and can damage it.

What protein treatments have you used? What deep conditioning treatments have you used? How often are you deep conditioning? Are you doing pre-poos?
  • liongirl29liongirl29 Registered Users Posts: 42
    Blueblood wrote: »
    Highlights and bleaching can make your hair more porous and can damage it.

What protein treatments have you used? What deep conditioning treatments have you used? How often are you deep conditioning? Are you doing pre-poos?

The only PT I have used so far is the Sally's GVP version of Joico K-Pak. As far as deep conditioning, I have done it a couple of times since the problems began but my hair acts weird from that, too. After I DT my hair feels super weighed down and won't curl. It's flat and frizzy.

I showered a little bit ago and my hair now feels very stiff, hard, and dry when wet. Conditioner softened it but, yet again, the curl looks almost non-existent. Because of the way it feels when wet I thought maybe I was using too much protein and needed more moisture. I think the Elucence products and the DevaCurl Angel both have a fair amount of protein. But what throws me off is how weighed down (and straight) my hair looks after DT. Actually, it looks weighed down after regular conditioner, too, with no product in it. I have clarified too, just to make sure it's not build up. I'm going NUTS with this!
    Curltype:Fine, 2C underneath, Mostly 3A, with some 3B thrown in there. Normal porosity.
    Shampoo: Elucence, clarify with sulfates 1x per month
    Conditioner: Elucence MBC,
    Products: Devacurl Angel, LALSG
    I can't go totally CG as it weighs my hair down FAST. Hard water.
    Bad haircut finally starting to grow out and look normal again!
  • virginbluevirginblue Registered Users Posts: 194
    It just sounds damaged to me. I've had experience bleaching in the past (I mean bleaching my whole head to white) and coloring. It tends to get puffy and dry too. All you can do is baby it. Lots of protein and moisture and minimal use of heat. It should get better with care and time.
    2b//high porosity//fine texture//medium density//low elasticity//loves protein
    Lo-poo: SMMR, SMC&S
    Clarifying: VO5 shampoos
    Co-wash: VO5 conditioners
    RO: VO5 conditioners
    Styling: AIF, FSG, gelatin gel, ecostyler krystal
    PT: IAGirl's gelatin treatment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file