Tipping?

anglwngssanglwngss Registered Users Posts: 11
I normally go to the $10 to $15 haircut places when I get cuts, which I don't usually get very often. However, I just found a guy who does the curly hair cuts from this site and he charges $68. I don't think I've ever spent $68 on a cut! Lol. (He did have over 40 positive reviews, though, so I do hope he's good!!)

Anyway, from those of you who normally spend the big bucks on cuts, Lol, what's the normal tipping rate?

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    15% would be $10.20. 20% would be $13.60.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I tip 20%. Have done that at 2 different curly salons, but I did that anyway with my other hairdressers also. In general, I tip 20% for any personal service that I get (eyebrows, manicure, etc.).
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • CurliniCurlini Registered Users Posts: 258 Curl Neophyte
    I tip my stylist 20% too. 15%-20% is the norm.
    I hope you get a great cut! :smile:
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Registered Users Posts: 312 Curl Connoisseur
    I've never tipped (let me explain! lol). I've always gone to small salons where the owner is doing the hair. I once read long ago that you do not need to tip the owner. All of the money is going into their pockets since they don't have to pay rent for their chair or give someone their cut.

However, if I were to get my hair done by someone renting a chair, I'd do 20% because it's easier to mentally calculate.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • eveumeveum Registered Users Posts: 744 Curl Neophyte
    I've never tipped anyone for a hair cut, nor do I know anyone who has. I had no idea this happened, I live in the UK, I'm not sure if this is why.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    eveum wrote: »
    I've never tipped anyone for a hair cut, nor do I know anyone who has. I had no idea this happened, I live in the UK, I'm not sure if this is why.
    You can tip in the UK.

If there is a junior person helping out they are likely an apprentice/trainee so they are getting paid very little so they appreciate the tip more.

If the stylist isn't a senior stylist and isn't related to the owner you can also tip.

Just make sure you tip in cash otherwise it can go to the owner.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    In the US it's common to tip the stylist 15-20%. Owners don't need to be tipped though I still do if they'll take it. My current stylist and last stylist were both owners.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • anonymous_153995anonymous_153995 Banned Users Posts: 271
    i tip for every service now. hair, nails, food, hotel, EVERY service. I never used to but its like you get the crazy eyes from ppl if you dont. either that or next time you go back they eff your stuff up on purpose. so play it safe an just spread the good karma around...plant seeds lol 😉
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    eveum wrote: »

I'm from the UK too and I don't tend to tip at hairdressers. I know some people do tip trainees who are doing apprenticeships or something, a few quid.

Overall though, I think tipping in general (not just at the hairdresser) is less common here than in America / other countries. Or if people do tip then they don't tend to tip as much money.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • freshmintcurlsfreshmintcurls Registered Users Posts: 21
    I insanely overtip. Granted I live in a smaller town so even in the best salon around here the cuts aren't terribly expensive.

That being said, I'm a micromanaging control freak, I know it, and I tip really well to compensate. Last time the cut cost $25. I shelled out $40.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I overtip also. and I give the person who washes my hair $5. I think I generally overtip everyone who does a service for me. I really dislike people who are cheap.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • SweetRellieSweetRellie Registered Users Posts: 468 Curl Neophyte
    Maybe because I used to go to African American stylists, but tipping wasn't mandatory or even asked of (this is true for all of my family and friends), especially since only one person does all of your services instead of a colorist, shampoo girl, etc. I'm finding your posts very interesting to read...Learn something new everyday.
    Thick, highly porous but protein sensitive 4a hair
    Modified Curly Girl Method

Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    Shampoo: NYM Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Shampoo
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Leave-In: Maui Moisture's Curl Milk or Shea Butter Hair Mask
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
    Sealants: Maui Moisture's Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist
    Scalp Treatment: Alikay Naturals Hair & Scalp Balm; Essential 17 Growth Oil
  • JohariJohari Registered Users Posts: 673
    I usually tip $5 for when I get my hair done. It costs about $20 for me but it goes to the salon not the stylist so that's why I tip (even if they didn't do a great job)

Sent from my LG-LS720 using CurlTalk App
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Registered Users Posts: 876
    I generally tip 30% if the job was done well. I tip owners as well, because while they don't pay chair rent, they have other expenses that may be even higher--insurance, utilities, cleaning supplies, coffee, water, etc. It's not likely that all their costs are covered by chair rent, and in any case, I don't really care who is doing the cut. If they do a good job, they get tipped.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file