product order

naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi all,

Quick Q: I use homemade products on my hair, mostly gelatin hair gel and FSG. When my hair is wet, which should I put on first, the gel or FSG? I know some people combine both in one, but I prefer to keep them separate. For those of you who haven't used these, here's how they work for me; FSG gives my hair clumps (and I threw in some protein, so it also helps strength/curl), and the gel helps hold in place/prevent frizz. Any opinions/advice appreciated, TIA.

3A/f/i
Super baby fine hair, low porosity
Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    naturecat wrote: »
    Hi all,

Quick Q: I use homemade products on my hair, mostly gelatin hair gel and FSG. When my hair is wet, which should I put on first, the gel or FSG? I know some people combine both in one, but I prefer to keep them separate. For those of you who haven't used these, here's how they work for me; FSG gives my hair clumps (and I threw in some protein, so it also helps strength/curl), and the gel helps hold in place/prevent frizz. Any opinions/advice appreciated, TIA.

I would do FSG first to form your clumps, then the gel for hold and frizz prevention. I would think that using the gel (holding product) first would make it a bit harder for the FSG (clumping product) to get the hairs into their proper clumps.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, GreekChic! I was trying it in the reverse order before, and tried it the way you suggested earlier today (had been thinking along the lines you posted). I messed it up by messing with my SOTC routine, but will try again next time. And I also have a sugar hairspray I'm eager to try. I was considering putting that over the FSG instead (for faster drying/lighter weight on hair), but it may not be strong enough. So maybe, FSG, then gel, then (as it dries or afterwards) the sugar water hairspray.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Posts: 301Registered Users Curl Novice
    I agree with Geek_Chic. Also, if you only use the gelatin for stronger hold (as in you aren't trying to get more protein in your hair), then you can try adding a bit of honey or agave nectar in your FSG. I tried with a teaspoon half dipped in honey added to an ice cube of gel and it really helped with the hold. You can experiment with the proportions though.

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

www.facebook.com/joyfulmeadow

www.instagram.com/joyful.meadow

My hair can never get enough protein. :) In fact, after a plain gelatin PT my hair is as soft as silk, with just some water to rinse it out. The sugar thing was just to help prevent my hair from getting weighed down/taking a long time to dry. Honey I can use once in awhile. It seems that most people do LI, then clumping/defining, then hold/frizz prevention then for some people a sealer... do I have that order right? For lo po people, I wonder if LI prevents product absorption. I also wonder now if applying gel first was part of the reason why my hair was taking ridiculously long to dry. I suspect I'm lo po, but for the fact that, without product, my hair dries relatively quickly. I also suspect lo po people in particular have to be careful about product order.

3A/f/i
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Posts: 301Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think the drying time for knowing whether you have low porosity or not is without products, otherwise it's not actually your hair, just the products. Hopefully you find an order you like! I actually just apply my conditioner, leave most of it in, then use FSG. I'm going to try a gelatin treatment though tomorrow.

Edit: Yea, that's the order I've seen people applying their products.

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

www.facebook.com/joyfulmeadow

www.instagram.com/joyful.meadow

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    How come you don't want to mix them? The less manipulation of wavy hair the better... But if you have a good reason, then do it like Geek_Chic said and see if that works.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

How come you don't want to mix them? The less manipulation of wavy hair the better... But if you have a good reason, then do it like Geek_Chic said and see if that works.

I find two things: a) that putting them on separately I weigh down my curls less (though, getting weighed down is also a sign I need a PT) and b) even when I follow the directions precisely, and reheat the flax and mix the gelatin in, it doesn't mix evenly and sometimes I get these blobs in my hair.

Manipulating the waves doesn't seem to hurt me much for some reason. It's more a question of getting clumps, definition, and most important, not getting weighed down. Once it reaches that point I can gently apply stuff to it without problem. After doing more PTs I find my curl pattern is stronger. I even find 2c/3a pieces more now, so yay!

3A/f/i
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    naturecat wrote: »

I find two things: a) that putting them on separately I weigh down my curls less (though, getting weighed down is also a sign I need a PT) and b) even when I follow the directions precisely, and reheat the flax and mix the gelatin in, it doesn't mix evenly and sometimes I get these blobs in my hair.

Manipulating the waves doesn't seem to hurt me much for some reason. It's more a question of getting clumps, definition, and most important, not getting weighed down. Once it reaches that point I can gently apply stuff to it without problem. After doing more PTs I find my curl pattern is stronger. I even find 2c/3a pieces more now, so yay!

I get it, since I'd never tried adding that to my FSG I'd no idea it was so troublesome!

I forget you have different hair, mine's fine so I'm better off putting only one thing, if I do 2 separately my curls and clumps fall apart, but then most of the time I can coax my hair into re-curling and reclumping, it's just a bit aggravating so I try to avoid it most of the time.

It seems like you continue to make positive progress so I'm happy for you. :mrgreen: The right type of protein can really help most of us with the curling. It makes sense that as long as we give our hair things that are compatible with its chemistry and nature it can only get better.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file