Hello, new here and trying to embrace my curls finally :)

sumisumi Posts: 9Registered Users
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and hoping to learn ways on how to care for and enhance my curls. I think I have a 3A/3B kind of curls. Have added a photo of my hair for second opinions.

I had a shower yesterday morning using dove shampoo & conditioner. Combed my hair while showering and let it dry. This morning (24hrs since), this is what my hair looks like. I have not combed it after the shower.

Previously I had straightened my hair about 3 times. Now, no more... I love the big curls, if only I knew how to enhance and control my curls.

Will post in the appropriate forum with all my questions. :)
Hair type: Between 3A/3B
Porosity: Low porosity?
Density: High density
Width: medium to coarse
Length: medium

Newbie. No idea where I'll start of at, but hope to learn soon.

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome. Be sure to do a forum search for the curly girl (CG) method. It's been a great help to many of us. :)
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Welcome! I am so happy you decided to join us. It does look like You have Type 3A/3B curls. Whatever help you need with your curls, don't be afraid to post about it at any time. As, the individuals here are always ready to help.

A great guidebok that would be very useful for you to get is Lorraine Massey's Curly Girl Handbook. For a lot of curlies, it has been a life changer!

I wish you all the best with your curls.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • sumisumi Posts: 9Registered Users
    Thanks for the welcome. :)

I am totally new this site and just trying to find my way around.

- Did the porosity test and its been about 4 mins and my hair is still floating on the top of the water. So I guess my hair has low porosity.
    - more high density cause when I ever go to a parlour they charge me more cause of my hair volume.
    - medium-coarse width though Im not sure which exactly.

I'll try to read up on the curly girl method and then try to start somewhere by posting in the 3type forum...?

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, sumi!

You could also post in the General Hair section.

The float test for porosity is generally thought to be garbage science these days. What's most important is how your hair soaks up and releases moisture. Typically, high porosity hair gets wet immediately and responds quickly to high dew points, whereas low porosity hair doesn't take up water quickly, and can take a long time to dry (I can go to bed with wet hair, and wake up with damp hair). Everybody's hair is more porous at the cut ends than at the roots, just because of exposure to the environment, chemicals (even just those in shampoo and conditioner), and heat damage.

I also recommend Curly Girl: The Handbook (also available here), and mention it mostly to add the links to sources.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • sumisumi Posts: 9Registered Users
    Yes, its the same for me too. If I wash my hair in the evenings, its still damp the next morning and thats soo frustrating...

I just got myself the book and am going to read that today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file