Animal Testing

cyndicyndi Registered Users Posts: 3,341
Hey curlies,

I've recently been trying to use animal friendly products, but I'm having a hard time finding animal friendly hair products. It seems like EVERYBODY conducts animal testing (if you're curious, there's a list at www.caringconsumer.com). I'm just curious to see how everybody else feels about animal testing and whether or not you use animal friendly products.

Cyndi
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.
I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:

Comments

• sew and sewsew and sew Registered Users Posts: 3,443
    I guess there is no way to tell this, but it doesn't bother me if the animals aren't hurt by the testing. When they test on animals, what animals are generally used, any besides rats/mice?
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • AustinAustin Registered Users Posts: 37
    Well, one of the main reasons to test animals is to see if the substance IS harmful. They don't use their products on rats, mice rabbits to see if it will make their straight hair curly, but to see if the ingredients are irritating to their eyes, nose, skin, etc. They might take a drop of the ingredient(s) being tested and drop it on the animals' eye (skin, etc) to see if it develops an irritation, sore, etc. I know that in past years cosmetic companies would take rabbits, stick their heads in a round hole (kinda like a stockade of years past) so the bunnies couldnt move their heads, then use eye droppers to drop their chemical of the month in their eyes. All in the name of cosmetics, so that we ladies could look purty.
    "Time wounds all heels."
  • cyndicyndi Registered Users Posts: 3,341
    Ok, my next question is what animal friendly products do you guys like? Most of my favorite brands do indeed test on animals.

Here's a few popular lines that test on animals...Clairol, Aussie, Daily Defense, Herbal Essences, Infusium 23, Helene Curtis, Finesse, Salon Selectives, Thermasilk, Neutrogena, L'oreal, Garnier, Matrix, Redken, Pantene, and Physique.

Here's a list that doesn't test on animals...ABBA, Almay, Revlon, Aubrey Organics, Aura Cacia, Avalon Organics, Aveda, BAth and Body Works, Beuaty Without Cruelty, The Body Shop, Bumble and Bumble, Citre Shine, Clinique, Conair, Dr. Bronner's, Estee Lauder, Eucerin, Giovanni, Paul Mitchell, Joico, Kiehl's, Kiss My Face, Mary Kay, Mastey de Paris, Nature's Gate, Nexxus, Origins, Queen Helene, Revlon, Rusk, Sebastian, Tom's of Maine, TRader Joe's, Victoria's Secret, Wella
  • MidnitecurlsMidnitecurls Registered Users Posts: 20
    Here's a few popular lines that test on animals...Clairol, Aussie, Daily Defense, Herbal Essences, Infusium 23, Helene Curtis, Finesse, Salon Selectives, Thermasilk, Neutrogena, L'oreal, Garnier, Matrix, Redken, Pantene, and Physique.

What?! Right on the back of the Clairol Herbal Essence bottle it says "Product not tested on animals"

Are they lying???
    ~Live simply so that others may simply live~

3cNiii~
    Waist length corkscrews galore!!
    CG Routine since 02' and still lovin it.
  • cyndicyndi Registered Users Posts: 3,341
    Clairol may not test HE itself on animals, but they must test their other products on animals.
  • goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur

What?! Right on the back of the Clairol Herbal Essence bottle it says "Product not tested on animals"

Are they lying???

i hope i can help here. i haven't used products tested on animals for years. as far as herbal essence that line of clairol is not tested on animals; however, clairol does test on animals. aussie used to be owned by an idependent company they got bought out by a company which tests on animals. so the aussie line is not tested on animals but the company does test.
    i will not use a product if the parent company who owns it tests on animals. this rules out the majority of drugstore brands available today. i suggest going to a health food grocery store or a specialty beauty supply store.

it's very tricky figuring out who does and who does not test on animals. currently, some popular big name companies have put their animal testing on hold.
    in addition to not buying animal tested products you can help the fight by writing letters to big companies and letting them know that you will not purchase their products until they stop all animal testing.

HTH

feel free to pm me if you want..
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • MidnitecurlsMidnitecurls Registered Users Posts: 20
    Thanks goldylocks....

I've stopped using suave because animal testing does NOT sit well with me. It sucks b/c I love the anit-frizz aloe vera gel by suave. Too bad.
    ~Live simply so that others may simply live~

3cNiii~
    Waist length corkscrews galore!!
    CG Routine since 02' and still lovin it.
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even companies that don't test their products on animals use ingredients that have been tested by others.
  • jen4257jen4257 Registered Users Posts: 1
    If you read the fine print on most Bath & Body products, it states "finished product not tested on animals". Which I would take to mean that certain parts of it are tested on animals. I haven't checked their hair products to see if they say that though....
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Registered Users Posts: 529
    Austin wrote: »
    Well, one of the main reasons to test animals is to see if the substance IS harmful. They don't use their products on rats, mice rabbits to see if it will make their straight hair curly, but to see if the ingredients are irritating to their eyes, nose, skin, etc. They might take a drop of the ingredient(s) being tested and drop it on the animals' eye (skin, etc) to see if it develops an irritation, sore, etc. I know that in past years cosmetic companies would take rabbits, stick their heads in a round hole (kinda like a stockade of years past) so the bunnies couldnt move their heads, then use eye droppers to drop their chemical of the month in their eyes. All in the name of cosmetics, so that we ladies could look purty.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I thought that every single animal that was tested died! I think that they should just test on their skin (if they just HAVE to test on something) and not their eyes because everyone know how much shampoo stings your eyes, am I right?

Anyway is it absolutely final that 'herbal essences' (not other clairol products) do not test on animals???? I really wanna try Hello Hydration.
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    Conditioner/Co-wash/Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Nutri Repair/Organic Instinct
    Styler: Garnier Fructis 24-H
    ~~~

• LisaF1163LisaF1163 Registered Users Posts: 1,079
    I refuse to use animal tested products. That was one of the things that drove me nuts trying to narrow down CG friendly products - my first criteria had to be, "are they non-animal tested?" THEN, "Are they free of silicones?" Then protein. Then mag sulfate. :toothy10: This is why I'm so happy with my current crop of products - they meet everything I personally need and/or insist on.
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,720
    Are you referring to only hair products? Or does that include handsoap, household cleansers, and laundry detergents? There's always been controversary over what's tested and what isn't. The information non testers use was obviously founded by a testing company. So even though they claim to not test some consider it a form of supporting testing.

I personally would love to use only products that don't test on animals 24/7. But since they always cost 3x or more than others-kind of like the Organic products/produce it makes it very hard for people who can't afford it.
    http://public.fotki.com/TLGuerrero/

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • j-jill. j-jill. Registered Users Posts: 147
    I absolutely hate the idea of people testing products on animals. Even if they're just checking for small things, I still disagree.

And.. does Aussie really test their products on animals? :O
    Hair Type: 2b/2c (:

• lodylody Registered Users Posts: 334
    Just wondering, if it isn't tested on animals, what's the alternative? Is it tested on humans? I'm assuming they wouldn't be allowed to go out untested at all (...I sure hope so at least). Or is it just that they use stuff other companies have tested (which makes them no better as far as I'm concerned!).
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    Garnier Ultra Doux conditioners
    High in glycerin conditioners
    As much gel as possible
    Testing out flax seed gel
    Plopping, for around 30 minutes
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    SuZen wrote: »
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even companies that don't test their products on animals use ingredients that have been tested by others.

+1

Someone, somewhere, tested the ingredients.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    Are you referring to only hair products? Or does that include handsoap, household cleansers, and laundry detergents? There's always been controversary over what's tested and what isn't. The information non testers use was obviously founded by a testing company. So even though they claim to not test some consider it a form of supporting testing.

I personally would love to use only products that don't test on animals 24/7. But since they always cost 3x or more than others-kind of like the Organic products/produce it makes it very hard for people who can't afford it.
    I am able to find cosmetics and hair care that aren't tested. Household products were tougher for a long time because there weren't many to pick from, and yeah, they were a fortune. But thanks to places like Whole Foods and brands like Method (over at Target), there are now a lot of household products that aren't tested and are more biodegradeable. Plus, now that it's all becoming more mainstream, the prices are coming down. They're not totally as cheap as regular brands, but they are getting there, which is really heartening to see. Seventh Generation shower spray, for example - I just got a bottle for $3.99 at Bed Bath and Beyond, which is maybe 50 cents more than Tilex. You have to be careful what store you go to - I know it's $4.99 at Whole Foods, and at the little privately owned health food store near my boyfriend's house, it was $6.19. It takes a little hunting, but I'm noticing a lot of the prices are dropping and more companies are getting with the program.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
    Many moons ago I used to babysit for a man who worked in Palo Alto, Ca. Basically at those testing labs. He said when he'd go the conventions there would be activists and whatnot giving him and others pieces of their mind and he'd reply "Would you rather we tested them on humans?" "If you had a very sick family member would you want to know the effects the medication could have on them or would you want them to be the first to try it?" He said they usually backed off when he said it.

As far as Aussie goes. Yes, unfortunately they do. Last year I noticed their products no longer said "No animal testing" on them. So I wrote them. I also posted the response on this site. They basically said when no other method was available is when they would test on animals to ensure our safety.:roll:

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    It's a difficult thing. I want things to be tested and like someone else noted - somewhere somehow an ingredient is tested and there is probably no way to know what it was tested on. So in a perfect world I would not use - but in this imperfect world I care but I will use a product that has been tested on animals even I don't know I am. :goofy: If that makes any sense at all.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    Many moons ago I used to babysit for a man who worked in Palo Alto, Ca. Basically at those testing labs. He said when he'd go the conventions there would be activists and whatnot giving him and others pieces of their mind and he'd reply "Would you rather we tested them on humans?" "If you had a very sick family member would you want to know the effects the medication could have on them or would you want them to be the first to try it?" He said they usually backed off when he said it.
    (Guano) Of course when it comes to medicines and the medical field, that's a whole different ballgame. My brother died of cancer five years ago, so of course I know that it's not a flat across the board opinion. But you know, when it comes to cosmetics on up through to household products, if there are other ways around it, I'm all for that. (Done guano-ing)
    Hair Type - 3A.
    LisaF1163 wrote: »

I am able to find cosmetics and hair care that aren't tested. Household products were tougher for a long time because there weren't many to pick from, and yeah, they were a fortune. But thanks to places like Whole Foods and brands like Method (over at Target), there are now a lot of household products that aren't tested and are more biodegradeable. Plus, now that it's all becoming more mainstream, the prices are coming down. They're not totally as cheap as regular brands, but they are getting there, which is really heartening to see. Seventh Generation shower spray, for example - I just got a bottle for $3.99 at Bed Bath and Beyond, which is maybe 50 cents more than Tilex. You have to be careful what store you go to - I know it's $4.99 at Whole Foods, and at the little privately owned health food store near my boyfriend's house, it was $6.19. It takes a little hunting, but I'm noticing a lot of the prices are dropping and more companies are getting with the program.

I know isn't it great!? I absolutely loooove Method's products, they work and smell awesome. Target(at least near me) sells seventh generations dishsoap for $3 or so. I also buy Clorox's green works which is available at Walmart, their products are coconut oil based-they have dishsoap, bathroom cleanser, toilet cleanser, window cleanser all for under $3.

Walmart use to have a neat natural laundry soap that cost about the same as Tide, but with natural ingred and no animal testing, also had the liquid and sheet softener(can't remember the name though). Also Purex has a natural based laundry soap that works great and in most cases is cheaper than the average soap. Oh yeah and Method's green tea laundry soap is da bomb!

I'm so glad companies are realizing that this is the right path!:toothy10:

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Current products-
    Forgot to mention - the other nice thing about Method is that now they're also carried in Home Depot. Not sure about Lowe's, but probably. Also Whole Foods, but your best prices will always be at Target, I'm sure.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    LisaF1163 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention - the other nice thing about Method is that now they're also carried in Home Depot. Not sure about Lowe's, but probably. Also Whole Foods, but your best prices will always be at Target, I'm sure.

Cool! I came across them at Bed Bath and Beyond too. Speaking of, I need to go buy some dishsoap today! MMM, which scent to get!?;)

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Current products-
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    I'm not answering the poll because I think it's a little biased. You're forgetting that ingredients are tested on animals at some stage. Let's say you have a shampoo made of X, Y, and Z. X was tested somewhere on an animal, Y was tested maybe at a different lab on an animal, and Z was tested on an animal. The maker of the shampoo will buy the ingredients X,Y,Z (along with the results of the testing), put them together in whatever quanties they want, add scents, etc etc. And if they do not test the final XYZ Shampoo on animals, they can put a "Not tested on animals". So I think the poll is leaving out this really important nuance.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/01/13/getting-rid-cosmetic-animal-testing-is-harder-than-some-have-suggested/
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Registered Users Posts: 529
    You're right Laura. They can test some ingredients of the product but if they don't test the finished products they can say they didn't test on animals. I think Suave does that but I'm not sure.
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    Conditioner/Co-wash/Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Nutri Repair/Organic Instinct
    Styler: Garnier Fructis 24-H
    ~~~

You're right Laura. They can test some ingredients of the product but if they don't test the finished products they can say they didn't test on animals. I think Suave does that but I'm not sure.
    Suave is owned by Unilever, and on their website, they say that they're "committed to the eventual elimination of animal testing" or something close to that effect. I think it basically means they don't animal test if they don't have to, but they do when it's warranted.
    Hair Type - 3A.
  • sexyjacksparrowsexyjacksparrow Registered Users Posts: 439
    I won't buy animal tested stuff. Where possible I buy leaping bunny approved stuff - www.leapingbunny.org Quite a few of the brands that seem popular on here are approved - Aubrey Organics, Avalon, Jason, MGA, Paul Mitchell, Faith in Nature.

Kerry xx
    [FONT=&quot]UK curly - mostly 2c[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Going back to basics![/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Happily using a mixture of sulphates, cones and CG products.
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Permanently undecided whether to cut or grow![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Currently loving:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lush I Love Juicy shampoo
    Charles Worthington frizz smoothing conditioner[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Superdrug coconut & almond intensive conditioner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Montagne Jeunesse avocado & cherry bark mask[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Umberto Giannini curl gel
    Boots 'pink' curl creme
    [/FONT]
    Great link, Kerry, thanks!
    Hair Type - 3A.
  • sexyjacksparrowsexyjacksparrow Registered Users Posts: 439
    No problem Lisa! The leaping bunny uses a 'fixed cut-off date' criteria as pretty much all ingredients are going to have been animal tested at some point which - as Laura said - can make 'not tested on animals' labels not necessarily mean much.

Kerry xx
    [FONT=&quot]UK curly - mostly 2c[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Going back to basics![/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Happily using a mixture of sulphates, cones and CG products.
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Permanently undecided whether to cut or grow![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Currently loving:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lush I Love Juicy shampoo
    Charles Worthington frizz smoothing conditioner[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Superdrug coconut & almond intensive conditioner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Montagne Jeunesse avocado & cherry bark mask[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Umberto Giannini curl gel
    Boots 'pink' curl creme
    [/FONT]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list