Dry super hot hair routines

canelacanela Registered Users Posts: 218
I know I been a member since 02 & I should have experience I am ashamed.
Here is my problem:
-I am going overseas to a very dry, hot climate for the summer with very hard water. Been there before & my hair gets really dry & unmanageable
-been using henna to cover gray for a year since commercial recently started giving me hives so I am concerned with this new element.

Questions

-how do I know best products to take, currently I plan to take KCC gel, shampoo and leave in, red palm oil, coconut oil, Shea butter to mix in case of dryness.

BUT--I hear the products I am taking are not good because of moisture robbing ingredients

Advice, suggestions, opinions will be appreciated

My hair is 3c, not sure about porosity, protein sensitivities or anything like this
Hair type: mix of everything but bushy
"Do not brush curly hair, it makes it look like bad scribbles"
my 5 year old curly haired girl, now a teen

Comments

• GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
    I've lived overseas and know about the hard water. The heat, whether 30C or higher, just exacerbates the bad hair situation.

When possible, I bought the local shampoo and conditioner that was best for my hair. It seemed to work better than the ones from the States. Otherwise, I would use a shampoo mixed with baking soda as a clarifier. Then use a conditioner with good slip and keep on for at least 30 minutes. At the time, I had no knowledge of cowashing; but this might be the best, then just clarify or shampoo once a month.

Pre-treatment can help with tangles as well as a conditioner with good slip, which also keeps the hair moisturized during cleansing.

To seal in moisture, use oils lightly on the hair and on the ends. When outside, wear a hat or scarf as appropriate with your occupation.

You may have to moisturize your hair twice a day--and cover your hair at night.

As far as stylers, use those that leave a soft hold as well as definition. Reapplication may be necessary, but at least your hair will still be moisturized.

HTH
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • canelacanela Registered Users Posts: 218
    Great curls,
    Thank you so much for your reply, very helpful
    Hair type: mix of everything but bushy
    "Do not brush curly hair, it makes it look like bad scribbles"
    my 5 year old curly haired girl, now a teen
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    I have never dealt with hard water but the heat is killer for my hair. The number one thing that helps me is cowashing more often. I do it every other day. If you can not spend as much time in the heat or cover with a cute straw hat or scarf that may help too. I may be going to Europe in the Fall and I need to figure out what I'll do. have a good trip.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • NinjaCookieNinjaCookie Registered Users Posts: 99
    Where I live there is hard water too. I find that using a clarifying shampoo specifically for clearing out hard water minerals 1 or 2 times a month will help prevent the icky build-up and dryness .
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Registered Users Posts: 2,316
    Soon as I get home V05 green shampoo. My hair is bad shape from this water and high weather temperature and difficulty finding products without cones because sulfates are just a no for my scalp.
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • vegas_curlsvegas_curls Registered Users Posts: 860 Curl Novice
    Don't feel ashamed - I've been a member/lurker of this site since a few months of its creation. I lived my entire life in the midwest, so when I moved to Las Vegas (smack in the Mojave desert) I was faced with an entirely new learning curve. My first 8 months here was all trial and error. Oh yeah, and the water here is some of the hardest in the country.

I know everyone's hair is different, but for me a sulfate shampoo is a MUST. (I've even washed my hair with body wash to get rid of build up.) A good moisturizing conditioner and coconut oil are my must-haves and I avoid anything with glycerin at all costs!!!

I tend to wear my hair up a lot - ponytail poofs are my standard go-to style. (It's more due to the fact that I can't stand to feel my hair on my neck/back when it's hot rather than for protective styling purposes - but it certainly helps in keeping my hair healthy.)

As for styling products when I wear my hair down, I've found that Suave Captivating Curls mousse works extremely well, even in this climate.

HTH, and happy/safe travels!
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    @adThomas a month before you go list the countries/large cities where you are going so you can get tips.

The water varies from country to country and even within countries. So I can go from soft lake water to yucky well water. Also the weather patterns can be crazy in September and October.
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    Blueblood wrote: »
    @adThomas a month before you go list the countries/large cities where you are going so you can get tips.

The water varies from country to country and even within countries. So I can go from soft lake water to yucky well water. Also the weather patterns can be crazy in September and October.

Thanks for the info and tips. I am looking to be gone for two weeks. Having hair that needs to be washed every 3 days during that time of year and being on vacation is not my ideal. I'm considering my options. Oyin claims the hair dew refreshes like a cowash without having to wet your hair. It would be nice to use that with a spray bottle with bottled water.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file