Almost forgot my introduction!

IttyxBittyxMeIttyxBittyxMe Posts: 3Registered Users
Hello ladies and gents!

My name is Erin and I'm 21 years old, and as of June 11th I hit my first year being fully natural!

I made the decision to go natural in November 2012 after I came to the conclusion that my hair was not healthy or happy. That was the last time I had a perm as well. So I got my hair braided in...I wanna say February, took it out in June, couldn't deal with the two textures so I bought some hair cutting scissors and chopped off all my relaxed ends in my car, in a parking lot, with my boyfriend (he worked security in a dead parking lot soooo he kinda helped).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404046354.882592.jpg

I can honestly say that I'm super happy with the progress my hair as made in a year although I'm still trying to figure out what works best for it, what doesn't, and all that jazz.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404046673.082037.jpg

I think the only three things I've REALLY figured out about my hair are:

1. Shrinkage wants to be my bestie, I don't want it
2. I want moisture to be my bestie, it doesn't love my hair like that though
3. My hair is really thick

If anyone can figure out my hair type (I've been assuming 3c/4a but I have NO real idea) and let me know, it be greatly appreciated as I see that's how be hair portion of this forum is sectioned by and I don't really know where to post.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404046887.232217.jpg

Thanks so much ladies and I look forward to talking with you guys!

~Erin

Sent from my Pokeball using Tapatalk

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome :)
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Hello ladies and gents!

My name is Erin and I'm 21 years old, and as of June 11th I hit my first year being fully natural!

I made the decision to go natural in November 2012 after I came to the conclusion that my hair was not healthy or happy. That was the last time I had a perm as well. So I got my hair braided in...I wanna say February, took it out in June, couldn't deal with the two textures so I bought some hair cutting scissors and chopped off all my relaxed ends in my car, in a parking lot, with my boyfriend (he worked security in a dead parking lot soooo he kinda helped).

I can honestly say that I'm super happy with the progress my hair as made in a year although I'm still trying to figure out what works best for it, what doesn't, and all that jazz.

If anyone can figure out my hair type (I've been assuming 3c/4a but I have NO real idea) and let me know, it be greatly appreciated as I see that's how be hair portion of this forum is sectioned by and I don't really know where to post.

~Erin

Welcome Erin! I am thrilled that you decided to join us.

Congrats on reaching your 1 year natural anniversary. You have definitely come a long way!

With naturally textured hair, you can expect a level of natural shrinkage. However, products i have found that products that have little to no moisturizing agents cause the most shrinkage. While products that are very moisturizing help the best with shrinkage. This is just according to my findings based upon the hundreds of products i have used on my curls from the time i began my transitioning journey and even after going natural up till this point.

When i use curl activating gel my curls receive a lot of elongation. As it contains lots of glycerin as well as a host of other moisturizing ingredients in it. Which is why, many of the products in my regimen contain glycerin in it. However all products that have glycerin listed as an ingredient within it surely are not formulated alike. The same can be said for poteins. Silk protein is the only protein that actually leaves my hair silky soft. But, it is all in the way that the product is formulated.

To keep your curls moisturized, i recommend using products that have plenty of moisturizing agents starting with your hair cleansing process all the way down to what you use to style your curls with. This will help with both curl hydration and elongation. There are expensive lines Miss that you can try, or you can opt to go with more budget friendly lines. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. As, i use a varietyof high end products, but i still use alot of inexpensive products as well. In the stores, they are selling Kinky-Curly, Mixed Chicks, Miss Jessies, Shea Moisture,Cantu Naturals line, As I Am, Edens Body Works, Curls, Jane Carter, Design Essentials, and a host of other lines for natural curlies. i have very dry hair that is both frizz and tangle prone. The lines that i personally recommend out of the ones mentioned are Edens Body Work Coconut Shea line, Shea Moisture(they offer a wide variety of products to choose from), As I Am, Cantu Naturals line, and Mixed Chicks.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Hello ladies and gents!

~Erin

Welcome Erin! I am thrilled that you decided to join us.

Congrats on reaching your 1 year natural anniversary. You have definitely come a long way!

With naturally textured hair, you can expect a level of natural shrinkage. However, products i have found that products that have little to no moisturizing agents cause the most shrinkage. While products that are very moisturizing help the best with shrinkage. This is just according to my findings based upon the hundreds of products i have used on my curls from the time i began my transitioning journey and even after going natural up till this point.

When i use curl activating gel my curls receive a lot of elongation. As it contains lots of glycerin as well as a host of other moisturizing ingredients in it. Which is why, many of the products in my regimen contain glycerin in it. However all products that have glycerin listed as an ingredient within it surely are not formulated alike. The same can be said for poteins. Silk protein is the only protein that actually leaves my hair silky soft. But, it is all in the way that the product is formulated.

To keep your curls moisturized, i recommend using products that have plenty of moisturizing agents starting with your hair cleansing process all the way down to what you use to style your curls with. This will help with both curl hydration and elongation. There are expensive lines Miss that you can try, or you can opt to go with more budget friendly lines. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. As, i use a varietyof high end products, but i still use alot of inexpensive products as well. In the stores, they are selling Kinky-Curly, Mixed Chicks, Miss Jessies, Shea Moisture,Cantu Naturals line, As I Am, Edens Body Works, Curls, Jane Carter, Design Essentials, and a host of other lines for natural curlies. i have very dry hair that is both frizz and tangle prone. The lines that i personally recommend out of the ones mentioned are Edens Body Work Coconut Shea line, Shea Moisture(they offer a wide variety of products to choose from), As I Am, Cantu Naturals line, and Mixed Chicks.

From your pictures after you had you BC done, it appears that you have Type 4A/4b curls. I wish you all the best with your curls!
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    To avoid shrinkage, you can try banding your hair or styles such as Bantu knot out, twist/braid outs, & pin curls. Also using perm rods or curl formers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file