Ever in search of a likeable low poo

LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 882Registered Users Curl Novice
I'm still in search of a low poo that is not too expensive and that I actually like. So far, I have tried the following:

- ABBA True Curls: loved it, but it's not available anymore.
- CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo: loved it even more, but I cannot get it in Europe any more and it is already expensive as it is, so I am not going to order it from the US.
- Weleda Wheat Shampoo: I quite liked it, but it has a drying alcohol in it which I preferably do not use.
- De Tuinen Cactus shampoo: left my hair gunky.
- Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate Shampoo: hate it. The smell is divine but I get build-up like crazy (probably because of the polyquat in it) and whenever I use this I shed far more than usual.

I'd love to get something that is available on ground. Furthermore, I'm looking for something sulphate-free, polyquat-free, silicone-free and preferably relatively light because my hair gets weighed down very easily. I think I could do with some protein, too.

Brands available are Yes to Carrots (which I know isn't sulphate-free), Yes to Cucumbers en Yes to Tomatoes, but also Yarok (though very expensive).

I'd love to get advice and recommendations, because these days I even prefer a drying SLS-shampoo over my current low poo.
F - LP - HD - L/NE
Fine, low porosity, high density, low/normal elasticity
Hairtype 2c

Low poo: SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
Detangler/RO: KCKT with 
Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number

Comments

• wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Smooth as Silk shampoo? It meets your requirements. I've used it and liked it. You'd have to order it from iherb, but it is very inexpensive especially when compared to other shampoos like the CJ one. It's worth a try IMO.

Giovanni, Smooth As Silk, Deep Moisture Shampoo, 8.5 fl oz (250 ml) - iHerb.com
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 882Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hi wavydaze!

Many people have recommended Giovanni SaS to me and I don't know why I've never tried it. Could you perhaps tell me what you like about it? (and maybe what you didn't like). I don't really mind ordering from iHerb.

I saw that you responded to another curly in search of a low poo and mentioned Broo. I'm really curious about that brand, but it has guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride in it, which is the culprit in my Burt's Bees shampoo. It's a shame because the rest of the ingredients sound good.

And a new location, so curious to hear where you are now! Hope you're doing well.
    F - LP - HD - L/NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, low/normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
    Detangler/RO: KCKT with 
    Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not a big fan of the Yes to Cucumbers. I normally use a gentle sulfate shampoo, Redken Fresh Curls. It doesn't give me that dry, stripped feeling like other sulfate or low poos!

Yes to Cucumbers is much harsher and I feel like I'm almost having to rip through my hair just running my hands through it.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I will swear by Yes to Cucumbers until the day that I die. It takes out everything and leaves your hair clean.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • FimuFimu Posts: 322Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Today I bought Harmonie shampoo (the family package, which is the least pricey: ~10 euros for 300/400 mL). This shampoo brand contains glycerin, but no polyquats, sulfates and cones.
    However, I don't know what the purpose is of wheat germs as ingredients...

You can find the Harmonie line in a health store (not sure if Tuinen also has it).
    I will let you know when I tried it.

Off-topic: I will use YTCarrots less frequently cuz it gives me too much volume lol.
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Lauraimes wrote: »
    Hi wavydaze!

Many people have recommended Giovanni SaS to me and I don't know why I've never tried it. Could you perhaps tell me what you like about it? (and maybe what you didn't like). I don't really mind ordering from iHerb.

I saw that you responded to another curly in search of a low poo and mentioned Broo. I'm really curious about that brand, but it has guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride in it, which is the culprit in my Burt's Bees shampoo. It's a shame because the rest of the ingredients sound good.

And a new location, so curious to hear where you are now! Hope you're doing well.

:wave:

Okay well having tried many different low-poos, these are my thoughts.

I've found CJ Gentle Cleansing to be far far gentler than the rest of low-poos that I've tried. I've thought that more or less, all the Giovanni poos (even though the TTTT one is supposed to be clarifying), YestoCucumbers, Original Sprout etc. were more or less in the same boat in terms of cleansing.

CJ Gentle Cleansing was far more gentle than all the other low-poos I've tried. However, I think we've talked about this before CJ GCS is hard to spread. Because of this I end up using a lot, which doesn't make it cost-efficient with it being so expensive. I like the scent.

G SaS is more clarifying than CJ GCS. I don't find it stripping, but definitely not as gentle as CJ GCS. It leaves my hair soft (I've often wondered if it has any natural chelating ingredients). I have thought about diluting it though, which would make it more gentle and also much more cost-efficient. I don't love the smell of G SaS. Reminds me of vitamin C, however it is mild and doesn't last so I don't have a problem with it. I've also liked G SaS as a makeup-removing facewash! Actually I've loved CJ GSC as a facewash too!

I wish G SaS would have protein in it like the conditioner, but it doesn't. The 2chic BK & AO has keratin in it, but it also has that naturally-derived polyquat so I don't know if you'd like it.

OH and re:polyquats. So I've largely avoided them when starting CG because I read about buildup blah blah and I wanted to first go with products that would cause me the least amount of trouble. Lately however I've been trying a few products with polyquats. I think I know what you and others mean about the buildup. However in my case I've been able to get rid of it via a stronger low-poo. Then again, I haven't used polyquat products consecutively, and not daily... I'm sure the buildup would be a lot worse if I did that.

BROO, I tried the Silky Spice one and I ADORED the scent! However I did find some buildup, I assumed it was from the beer itself but I think it may have been from that polyquat. My fiancé liked it though so I'm thinking of reordering it for him! Either that one or the Citrus one!

:happy7: Hope this helps!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • frizzinflafrizzinfla Posts: 190Registered Users
    Your hair needs sound similar to mine and I just spent many weeks trying to find a new low poo. I settled on DermOrganics Daily Conditioning Shampoo and really like it so far. Simple, Natural ingredients. Available online. A little goes a long way, even for my long hair. Good luck in your search.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file