Where to start?

My friend Emily wants me to help her with her hair. She is African/Asian. Her hair is about shoulder length and FLUFFY! She straightens it and it really doesn't help the situation. I can't tell if her hair is naturally curly or not because it is so dry. Where should I start to help her? I don't know a lot about African/Asian hair, so I need a little bit of help!

Comments

• BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Posts: 375Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Has she ever used any sort of chemical relaxers to straighten it or just a flat iron? If it's chemically damage then she'll ultimately need to grow that out. If it's just heat damage it may be an easier fix.

Her hair looks very thick. I'd recommend using a heavy creamy conditioner to help with the damage. I know that some black women use olive oil or coconut oil to help condition their hair. But in the photo it looks like her hair may be similar to Indian hair, however it's difficult to tell from just a photo.

I'd say for her to stop using heat altogether, cut back on shampoo, and condition well especially the ends. It should evident within a few days what type of texture her hair has and how she should care for it. She'll need to be extra careful with her hair because if she does have the thick almost nappy texture of black hair it'll be very brittle and dry. Black hair is prone to being extra dry which causes it to be prone to breakage, but with proper care she can remedy this.
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • smilesncurlssmilesncurls Posts: 9Registered Users
    Oh thank you thank you! I believe she has only straightens it with a flat iron, and even that isn't very successful. Her family is really tight on money so buying new products isn't really an option. I do, however, have lots of DIY ingredients. If anyone could give me some recipes, I'd greatly appreciate it!
  • BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Posts: 375Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh thank you thank you! I believe she has only straightens it with a flat iron, and even that isn't very successful. Her family is really tight on money so buying new products isn't really an option. I do, however, have lots of DIY ingredients. If anyone could give me some recipes, I'd greatly appreciate it!

She can try mixing 1 tbsp of baking soda in 8 ounces of water and spraying that on the roots then massage it in and rinse out. Then you can mix 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in 8 ounces of water and spray that on the loose hair, comb through, and rinse out. Suave also has pretty cheap products which are CG if she wants to go that route.

Knowing her hair properties will help tremendously. You can search online ft this at home instead of buying a kit. Remember though, different races have different hair textures and everyone's hair is unique. So what works for me or for you may not work for her and it will take some experimentation for her to figure out.
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Since people of both Asian and African descent have hair that can vary greatly in terms of curl pattern, not to mention porosity, width etc we don't use terms such as "Asian" or "African" hair because it can be largely meaningless.

To best help her, she'll have to know her hair properties: porosity, texture/hair width (size of each individual hair not overall hair density), density and elasticity. Porosity and hair width are most important, followed by elasticity.

An excellent place to start is to order a hair analysis from goose footprints on etsy. It's not a requirement but I highly recommend it.

Knowing your properties will help you determine what kind of products you should be using on your hair (for instance: hydrolized protein for fine and/or porous hair).
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list