Do you Condition After Overnight Coconut?

LoveliamLoveliam Posts: 318Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I realize I am late to the coconut oil party. I am using it for the first time tonight overnight, and was going to use As I Am cleaning pudding in the morning to wash it out.

Do you usually follow the overnight treatment with a conditioner?

If yes, is it a lighter one, or heavier one?

I did try to search the forums for this and could not find an answer, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered.
Leigh :)
3a mixed with 2C???
Fine Texture
Normal to low Porosity
Low Elasticity

Mop Top Low Poo or Deva low poo
Deva One Condition
Deva B'leave-in for higher dews (Deva Foam for low dews).
Deva Firm Hold Gel
HG: Sweet Curls Crazy Curly Hard Hold Elixir after applying Deva and for 2nd/third day.

Comments

• EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Posts: 301Registered Users Curl Novice
    This isn't actually answering your question, but for me, any type of oil (including coconut oil) just sits on my hair and is impossible to wash out. I see that you have normal/low porosity, so I thought I would just mention this. Hopefully the oil works well, but if it doesn't you can always try coconut milk or water. I use that since there is a lot less oil and it works really well. I just wash my hair as usual after.

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

www.facebook.com/joyfulmeadow

www.instagram.com/joyful.meadow

• LoveliamLoveliam Posts: 318Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This isn't actually answering your question, but for me, any type of oil (including coconut oil) just sits on my hair and is impossible to wash out. I see that you have normal/low porosity, so I thought I would just mention this. Hopefully the oil works well, but if it doesn't you can always try coconut milk or water. I use that since there is a lot less oil and it works really well. I just wash my hair as usual after.

Thank you! I was just reading that Palm kernel oil, sunflower oil and Ucuuba butter can also penetrate pretty well.

I wanted to test coconut oil out because my hair seems super dry and has low elasticity. It is highlighted, so that probably contributes to that.
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    HG: Sweet Curls Crazy Curly Hard Hold Elixir after applying Deva and for 2nd/third day.
    Hopefully it works! A lot of people get good results with it.

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

• ashlyndmarieashlyndmarie Posts: 211Registered Users
    When I do coconut treatments I doubt overnight on dry hair then use a cowash. I have low porosity color treated hair. No issues over here
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I do coconut treatments overnight on the weekend as a pre-poo, so in the morning I'll low-poo it out and then I'll apply my deep conditioner.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    When I do coconut treatments I doubt overnight on dry hair then use a cowash. I have low porosity color treated hair. No issues over here
    Yeah, I do coconut treatments overnight on the weekend as a pre-poo, so in the morning I'll low-poo it out and then I'll apply my deep conditioner.

Great! This is what I will try.
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
  • WeathercurlWeathercurl Posts: 228Registered Users
    My hair LOVES coconut oil. I also do an overnight on dry hair and cowash out. I cowash once to get the oil out, repeat and use my tangle teaser before the second rinse. I don't bother with a RO or a LI as a rule. Sometimes I use a tiny drop of LI to help clumping but only on the ends. So I guess it varies for me, depending on how my hair seems to be acting after I rinse out the coconut oil. I'm so easily weighed down that I avoid any extra product if possible but that's not true for many others.
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
    My hair LOVES coconut oil. I also do an overnight on dry hair and cowash out. I cowash once to get the oil out, repeat and use my tangle teaser before the second rinse. I don't bother with a RO or a LI as a rule. Sometimes I use a tiny drop of LI to help clumping but only on the ends. So I guess it varies for me, depending on how my hair seems to be acting after I rinse out the coconut oil. I'm so easily weighed down that I avoid any extra product if possible but that's not true for many others.

Thank you :)

Well, after overnight coconut oil, I used cleansing pudding to get it out, then did 5 minutes or so of Shea Moisture Deep Conditioner.

I have much better curl formation than I have been having, so that is a good sign. I probably could have used a bit more gel while styling it wet.
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I washed my Parachute coconut oil a few days ago with CJ cleansing conditioner. I used that to wash mainly my scalp and used the pads of my fingers until I did my entire head. Then, I squeezed out all the water after rinsing it out. I recently read that it makes sense to do that before applying conditioner because it serves your hair better since it doesn't get watered down as much. We'll see if it makes a difference lol. Next, I apply conditioner like normal and follow my routine as I usually do. Sometimes I just use shampoo at the scalp but the key is that since we have curly hair, it doesn't make sense to shampoo twice or thrice to get the oil out like some other folks. We in turn, slap on loads of conditioner and it emulsifies the oil and the water so its easily washed out. Not to mention its hardly stripping. :cya:

I actually have almond oil in my hair from last night... trying something new. ;-)
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
    Then, I squeezed out all the water after rinsing it out. I recently read that it makes sense to do that before applying conditioner because it serves your hair better since it doesn't get watered down as much. We'll see if it makes a difference lol.

Interesting! I may need to test this out.
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    Sometimes I just use shampoo at the scalp but the key is that since we have curly hair, it doesn't make sense to shampoo twice or thrice to get the oil out like some other folks. We in turn, slap on loads of conditioner and it emulsifies the oil and the water so its easily washed out. Not to mention its hardly stripping. :cya:

Does co-washing oil out of your hair get it out a lot easier than shampooing? I have tried using oils as a treatment but it was so hard to wash out that I ended up just stripping my hair more, which canceled the benefits.

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

• wavypenwavypen Posts: 253Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Does co-washing oil out of your hair get it out a lot easier than shampooing? I have tried using oils as a treatment but it was so hard to wash out that I ended up just stripping my hair more, which canceled the benefits.

I find cowashing oil gets it out a lot easier than low-poo (I haven't tried oil before a sulfate poo). And I've tried conditioning cleanser (no poo) as well as just conditioner and found that regular cheap conditioner like VO5 KLS works best for me.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I always use conditioner no matter what I do to my hair - especially coconut oil (or any oil really) soaks. It's hard for me to get out, so I end up low poo-ing my hair twice. Oil is not a conditioner.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I always use conditioner on my hair.no matter what. My hair loses moisture so easy that lately sealing with mineral oil makes a big difference. Also not breaking the gel cast.

{Stats for mobiles}
    M/C, High Porosity,Normal Elast. 2c/3a Boticelli/Corkicelli
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Nope it's different. Sulphate shampoos remove all oil, low-poos a lot and co-washing a little.

Also you aren't cancelling out the benefits if your intention was to use shampoo. The hair research papers actually use sulphate shampoo after pre-pooing with oil.

If you have difficulty getting the oil out then either use less oil, or change to a different penetrating oil.

People use coconut oil because it's widely available and cheap but when I first heard of oil treatments the oil used was olive oil. People where just decanting some of the oil they used for cooking into a small bottle for their hair.

I then spoke to an older lady who used sweet almond oil and said it was widely used in the 60's and 70's. So I had a look at the oils in pharmacies and drugstores and noticed that was also easily available. I had always thought the oil was just for skin.

If I get to a laptop I will post a link to a list of penetrating oils. You may find a better one to use.
    People use coconut oil because it's widely available and cheap but when I first heard of oil treatments the oil used was olive oil. People where just decanting some of the oil they used for cooking into a small bottle for their hair.

There have also been several more recent studies showing that coconut oil penetrates the hair more tan other oils.
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Loveliam wrote: »
    There have also been several more recent studies showing that coconut oil penetrates the hair more tan other oils.

I'm aware.

However if the only oil you have access to is olive oil like the Italian people I studied with you aren't going to use coconut oil as it's simply not available.

In short use the penetrating oil you can easily get hold off.
    Blueblood wrote: »
    Loveliam wrote: »

I'm aware.

However if the only oil you have access to is olive oil like the Italian people I studied with you aren't going to use coconut oil as it's simply not available.

In short use the penetrating oil you can easily get hold off.

Ohhhm I see what you are saying! I misunderstood, sorry.
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file