CurlTalk

Oil leave-in conditioner?

I keep seeing people talk about their homemade leave-in recipes and adding different oils (lavender, tea tree, coconut etc.). Where do you find your oils?? I don't want to waste any $$ on something that will hurt my poor hair.
Mod CG
2A/B, medium/course, normal porosity, SL
Shampoo: Shea Moisture Chamomile & Argan Oil
CO wash: Suave Apple conditioner (1:1)
LI: Sauve Coconut (1:1 & coconut oil)

Comments

• ShinycurlsShinycurls Posts: 3Registered Users
    I advise you to try Argan Oil, I use it on my hair and it is definitely healthier and shinier!
  • WeathercurlWeathercurl Posts: 228Registered Users
    I've had good luck finding coconut oil at places like TJ Maxx and Ross. And good essential oils can be ordered on line at various websites. I particularly like the Mountain Rose website (but they don't discount shipping much).
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,255Registered Users
    If you need to get them on the ground, try your local health food store. They'd be more likely to have pure essential oils than a drugstore, where many of the "argan oil" styling aids are chock-full of silicones. If you don't mind online, you might check VitaCost and/or Lotioncrafter.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't seem to find many oils locally myself, but I do have great luck buying them from Amazon - I get my Lucy Bee's coconut oil from there and it's really well-priced :)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users
    I can't seem to find many oils locally myself, but I do have great luck buying them from Amazon - I get my Lucy Bee's coconut oil from there and it's really well-priced :)
    Have you tried a larger supermarket for olive oil and coconut oil? Or a pharmacy for coconut oil, olive oil and sweet almond oil?

The other oils you may have to get from a health food shop but I have seen and brought the oils I've mentioned above in these two places. Pharmacies sell the oils as doctors do prescribe them/tell people to get them for some dry skin problems. They cost between £1-2.
  • AmyShortAmyShort Posts: 29Registered Users
    Thanks all :)
    Mod CG
  • AmyShortAmyShort Posts: 29Registered Users
    Shinycurls wrote: »
    I advise you to try Argan Oil, I use it on my hair and it is definitely healthier and shinier!

Where do you get yours? Online or in a store?
    Mod CG
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Even W-M sells c.o., and for hair you don't need the virgin one. Essential oils like mentioned before you'd have to get at a health food store, but the prices may be way higher than online despite the shipping. If there's a big mall where you live that has a Vitamin World you can also check there, their prices are lower and they used to have 50% off sales at the beginning of the month. They are the same products sold at Puritan.com and the same as Nature's Bounty sold at stores.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil