How old were YOU when you received your first dose of the creamy crack?

I was two years old, teehee.

Comments

• tanis.harveytanis.harvey Posts: 26Registered Users
    I don't remember exactly the age but I know at least 6 years old. Wow, two is really young to be already getting a relaxer but I'm glad I'm not getting it now lol.
  • Cassie1978Cassie1978 Posts: 9Registered Users
    I was a freshmen in high school when I got my first relaxer now I wish I never got it :(((
    I'm a natural hair product junkie!LOL. I love trying new products.
    3c, 4a hair type
    Low porosity hair
    Subscribe to me on youtube @ CassieAfricanQueen

www.youtube.com/CassieAfricanQueen
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never had a relaxer on my hair. I've also never colored my hair. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I had no idea what this topic was about but I thought it was going to be at least a little dirty. hahaha.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had no idea what this topic was about but I thought it was going to be at least a little dirty. hahaha.
    Chemical straightening - relaxers, perms or other wise.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I thought it was going to be about some kind of food! Lol
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • JeliahJeliah Posts: 248Registered Users
    I was six years old. It was also the day I got my ears pierced for the first time....I didn't want either one....it was a bad day I will never forget lol
  • frizzybarbiefrizzybarbie Posts: 483Registered Users
    I was 15 and I begged my mom for a relaxer because all the other girls had them. Then 6 years later I had grown it out and never looked back.
    4a pencil-sized corkscrews that are low porosity, fine, thick, & layered
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I forgot to say that I was a teen when I got my first relaxer. I had it done a couple times but it took hours and didn't last long and wrecked my hair.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    I was two years old, teehee.

Two??? No offense, but that was practically child abuse! When Tyra Banks interviewed AA women about their hair after Chris Rock's movie "Good Hair" there was a woman who relaxed her 2 y.o.'s hair and the public was outraged... a child that young can't even choose for herself, that's a parent's idea either because they don't know how to deal with the child's hair or they're ashamed of their hair.

I started relaxing at 16 but it was not with the cream stuff, that would've completely killed my fine hair, it was a product called "Curl Free" where a powder and a liquid were mixed and turned into a somewhat thick and very cold liquid that was applied with a plastic applicator bottle. The hair had to be constantly combed with a wide-tooth comb until all the waves were gone, then the hair was rinsed and a liquid neutralizer was applied, once that was rinsed out too an kind of oily LI was applied. I usually did a roller set and my hair was silky, shiny and bouncy. I did this about every 6-7 months. I learned years later that was sort of like a permanent wave in reverse.

Speaking of "creamy crack"... the other day I saw on a Roku channel one of the most pitiful things I can think of regarding a woman's hair. This AA chick, with relaxed hair, was sharing beauty tips but I felt like she should not be trying to be on TV so much because a jet plane could land on her receding forehead... :eek: I'd seen years ago a lot of women stopping the relaxers because they were beginning to lose hair around their hairline but some are apparently SO addicted that they will not stop no matter what. I did feel sorry for her, almost embarrassed for her because there's no way to not notice how odd she looks, not a pretty look IMHO, but there she is in beauty video after beauty video...
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    I've never relaxed or straightened, at least not with heat or chemicals. I can brush out some of the curl with diligence and time, but of course it's frizzy and tangly then. I did perm for curls several times in the 80s and 90s--I didn't know I had curly hair and wanted it, lol. Tell me that makes sense!
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    I first got my hair relaxed when i was in my early teens, when i was in junior high. I thought it was so cool to get your hair relaxed. I loved the bone straight look i was able to get to my hair, simply by having it relaxed, blowdried straight and then flatironed.
    The things that were not cool were all the relaxer burns i endured, my scalp started becoming very itchy and dry, and that lingering relaxer smell really started to bother me alot. Plus, i cannot tell you how many times i got tired of spending almost my whole Saturdays in the salon. I do not miss any of that!
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • CurlyInParadiseCurlyInParadise Posts: 137Registered Users
    I have never had a perm but relaxed my hair several times in my late 30’s but would always go back to curly. I cringe tho now when I remember what I did about 10 years ago. I traveled a couple of times a year with my job. So this one time I went to New York, it was humid and I had to walk blocks in it to get from my hotel to a meeting. My hair was driving me crazy. I mistakenly and naively thought New York had great stylists so i did a walkin and asked for a haircut and relaxer. The relaxer was ok but the hair cut was awful. I had to immediately get it fixed when i got home. Later I realized how stupid I had been and the salon was no better probably than walking into a ProCut here and getting the stylist with no experience right out of beauty school. But i could have had my dyed hair fried off so I was lucky.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]______
    3a, med porous, low density
    Poo: Have to admit I have recently become a Wen convert. Love it. I have always had problems with my hair "hanging" right, curling uniformly and destorting the perimeter line. Wen makes it hang evenly.
  • WumiWumi Posts: 185Registered Users
    I believe I was 3... something like that. I wouldn't call it child neglect as much as ignorance. You do what you are taught to do. My hair was nappy, my mom made it easier for her to maintain, so it makes sense to me now. Relaxing a kid's hair isn't always about how the kid looks, there are busy mothers out there who just don't have time for all that.

If I had to do someone else's hair I would pick the easiest thing to do too... Maybe not a relaxer, but I would imagine my kids would stay in twists until they were completely worn out. Some people don't even have time to do twists or anything. Relaxers are easier for some people. The age is not a good idea but I can see why they do it. I wouldn't do it.. but they aren't my kids.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @wumi when I was a toddler my mum put my hair in a few braids as possible. I was lucky as some mothers' just shaved their daughter's' hair off.

Later when I started school I was luckier still has my sisters in their mid-teens to early 20's had been playing around with their own and dolls hair so one would braid my hair weekly. Though it never lasted that long. My mum then learnt when she was less busy then would do my hair and a friend's little girl's hair.

Other friends' at school would have aunts and cousins braiding their hair. Some of them could keep a style for 2 weeks.

The earliest we got relaxers and jheri curls was 12. I got a jheri curl at about 13 and a relaxer at 15.

Point is while mums were busy or couldn't braid they found women and older girls who could and would. It still goes on.

One of my cousin's now braids her younger sister's hair because her mum doesn't know how. She first said she didn't have the time but when my cousin did a style in less than 10 minutes she admitted she couldn't do it.
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    I don't buy the excuse of "no time". It's a well-known fact that people with extra-curly hair don't even need to wash their hair often, so at most the detangling and combing to put up in twists or plaits is done once a week at most, maintenance from then on should be easy. If a mother cannot take some time during her weekend to do her child's hair then she needs to get better organized and/or reconsider her priorities. I was a single Mom of 2, with no family or the father near to help me with anything and sometimes I even worked overtime, yet I took care of everything just fine by myself, so that just won't fly with me.

Putting a traditional creme relaxer on a young child's head is very risky to say the least, so there's no way I could see that with good eyes, I'm sorry. I used one myself when I was over 40 (I'm talking a brand for kids that boasted of being gentle...) and I couldn't wait to remove it when it began to sting my scalp much too soon, and I was careful to use the vaseline that came with it for protection. And the darn thing was so harsh that it robbed my hair of all elasticity. So I can't imagine subjecting a toddler to that, it's not like it's done in 5 min.

I could understand doing a texturizer maybe, just running it through for a few min. to soften the curls, or better yet, get a more adequate product like the one I used for years, which didn't burn (unless the scalp was scratched before or something like that),
    Sally's has been selling something like that for many years.

But what about just keeping the child's hair short until she's a little older??? Oh but no, then it would be too obvious the child has "nappy" hair I guess... :rolleyes: I still think the relaxer is a selfish choice, at best I'd say that's a choice made out of ignorance but definitely not "out of convenience".
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• KrullenbolKrullenbol Posts: 114Registered Users
    I was 12, maybe thirteen, can't really remember, but I think 12
  • WumiWumi Posts: 185Registered Users
    That's great but for some people it's easier to just grab a relaxer. I don't believe relaxers are easier for me, but I'm not going to pretend I don't know why some people use them, or act like it's not still widespread use and oftentimes still put on young children.

We can talk about what these moms could have, should have, but remember that some people weigh their options differently than others. I may think I have time to stop for food on the way to work, someone else may think they are late. Just like I may have time to twist my hair and someone else doesn't believe they do. Some people will put a relaxer in and spend the next month in a ponytail, then slap a relaxer on again. Natural hair to them is a lot of detangling that they just don't care for.

Some parents don't trust other people doing their kids' hair, or have anyone to do that. I think people like to assume that everyone else can relate to themselves, or that they need an "excuse" for not doing the same things they do.. Not everyone grew up the way you did. Plenty of hair processes are dangerous and outright wrong. But because relaxers have such rampant use in the states, even on kids, I have to accept that some people are just going to keep using them (even if I don't). I don't think it's right, but neither is smoking when you have children. But people do it anyway, and I can't stop them. Doesn't mean I agree or co-sign, but I know people have their own reasons for doing things that have nothing to do with me or my approval.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I thought this was going to be about that baby butt paste stuff. Now this makes sense.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • JimipeJimipe Posts: 276Registered Users
    Honestly, before I saw some Tyra Banks show about "bad hair" and relaxing, I never knew relaxers existed. The few kids with AA-decent I met in school alternated between afro-puffs or braids, and were adopted from different African countries, and their parents was never even close to their hair type. I remember how we all admired the braids one girl had and was so impressed of how she had sat still for more than five hours to get them installed. The rest of the people with type 4 hair I met growing up just wore it as it was. Perming your hair to get volume, waves and curls though, that was something I've heard a lot of. Even witnessed many old ladies having it done at the hairdresser as a kid.

(I'm from northern Europe, where "scandinavian hair" seems to be the most common thing...)
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong
  • EpictasticEpictastic Posts: 9Registered Users
    I never even heard of relaxers before I came on this forum. And I joined yesterday (though I've been reading for years now)
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My first creamy crack was in 2006 - I was in my first year of uni. My hair fell out. So I kind of abandoned it pretty darn quick.

And saying that the experience of a poc with their (and their children's) hair is even remotely comparable to yours is ridiculous. And, stating that a poc relaxing their child's hair is abuse (and specifying AA people in your statement!) seems incredibly racist and 'white saviour' complex to me.

Or is it just me?
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • stephanielynnstephanielynn Posts: 40Registered Users
    I got my first curly perm in the 6th grade, my first relaxer around 8th grade. I had tons of breakage and some scalp burns. :shock: After that grew out and I chopped off the straight parts I left my hair curly through college and up until shortly after I had my son. After he was born I spent the next 10 years straightening again... both chemical (perm solution, anti-curl chemicals, Japanese straightening, keratin treatments, etc) and mechanical (blowouts, flat iron, curling iron). In the midst of this I was trying to grow my hair out... which just wasn't happening. I couldn't retain much length with all that damage and manipulation. I've been curly again for the last year...

I'm new here btw...
  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MojoDojo wrote: »
    My first creamy crack was in 2006 - I was in my first year of uni. My hair fell out. So I kind of abandoned it pretty darn quick.

And saying that the experience of a poc with their (and their children's) hair is even remotely comparable to yours is ridiculous. And, stating that a poc relaxing their child's hair is abuse (and specifying AA people in your statement!) seems incredibly racist and 'white saviour' complex to me.

Or is it just me?

No it's not just you.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Typically when a person has to preface a statement with no offense, they know they are going to offend someone. Let's please think about that before we do.

BE COURTEOUS. BE TOLERANT. You're about to encounter many new friends in our community, with many new and interesting viewpoints.
    Please be respectful and tolerant of everyone you meet, even if you disagree with their opinions. Don't use language that is threatening, abusive, harassing, hateful or racially or ethnically objectionable. And don't engage in personal attacks. This includes NaturallyCurly.com staff, who work hard to keep our Community a fun spot to visit.
  • anissafersureanissafersure Posts: 255Registered Users
    The first time I got a relaxer was when I was about 8 years old. My hair is very curly, and the texture is a bit course, so my mom always had trouble detangling it. She would actually use TWO super strength relaxers on my hair at the same time due to the fact that my hair was so resistant. It never became completely straight, not even wavy. It pretty much went from 3C to 3A. Which really isn't all that big of a difference. I finally had enough of the relaxers when I turned 18 and was able to make my own choices. That's when I made the decision to grow out my hair and become completely natural. Two years later and I've finally accomplished my goal of becoming 100% natural and embracing my hair. Definitely something that I'm proud of (: especially since during the transitioning period I had a lot of temptations to just give up and relax my hair again. But I made it!
  • anissafersureanissafersure Posts: 255Registered Users
    Oh, and I forgot to add... The relaxers were SO painful. I would have scabs on my scalp for at least a month, and one time my mother wasn't being careful and the relaxer got on my forehead. It left and ugly burn on my forehead for like a month 😡 I was so pissed.
  • TakusCurlsTakusCurls Posts: 7Registered Users
    L relaxed first when l was about 8 or 9
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 175Registered Users
    I believe the first time I got relaxer I was around 10 or so? I had so much thick, curly hair that my mom couldn't deal with it. It was basically always brushed out and tied up. When I look back on old photos my hair was always in a ponytail.

3B/3C
    Fine thickness, medium density, high porosity

CG since 1/25/2014
    BC 6/25/2015
    Still figuring my hair out
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    The first time I got a relaxer was when I was about 8 years old. My hair is very curly, and the texture is a bit course, so my mom always had trouble detangling it. She would actually use TWO super strength relaxers on my hair at the same time due to the fact that my hair was so resistant. It never became completely straight, not even wavy. It pretty much went from 3C to 3A. Which really isn't all that big of a difference. I finally had enough of the relaxers when I turned 18 and was able to make my own choices. That's when I made the decision to grow out my hair and become completely natural. Two years later and I've finally accomplished my goal of becoming 100% natural and embracing my hair. Definitely something that I'm proud of (: especially since during the transitioning period I had a lot of temptations to just give up and relax my hair again. But I made it!

Your hair is beautiful. You didn't need a relaxer in the first place.
    Yes, i used to go through the same thing. When i would relax my hair at home, i would always use a Super Strength relaxer. And, i would experience chemical burns that would turn into painful scabs every time. I eventually got tired of that and decided to embrace my natural hair. The funny thing is that i realized that i never really needed a relaxer to straighten my hair. I can get my hair completely straight, whenever i desire by simply using a blowdryer and flatiron.

And, while transitioning, i had my times where I would get tempted too. But, i remained strong and was determined to stick it. I'm so glad i did. As going natural was one of the best decisions i have ever made.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file