Humidity Confusion

LoveliamLoveliam Posts: 318Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Over time I have heard and read two different messages about hair and higher dew points/ humidity.

1. Frizz comes from lack of moisture. Hydrate hair very well in humid weather.

2. When dew and humidity are higher, you need less moisture and more control.

So is this a case of what you need may differ based on your specific hair?
Leigh :)
3a mixed with 2C???
Fine Texture
Normal to low Porosity
Low Elasticity

Mop Top Low Poo or Deva low poo
Deva One Condition
Deva B'leave-in for higher dews (Deva Foam for low dews).
Deva Firm Hold Gel
HG: Sweet Curls Crazy Curly Hard Hold Elixir after applying Deva and for 2nd/third day.

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    First one has to understand that dew points depend on humidity to be calculated, but humidity is not the same thing as a dew point. That confused me for a long time. Frizz from a lack of moisture is normally when dew points are low, but humidity may or may not be low.

High dew point and/or high humidity mean that there is more moisture in the air at certain temps so you may need more anti-humectants or sealers whether they be oil, gel, silicones, etc. I couldn't use honey this summer- it made my hair really hard. I think that with increases in temperature and the same humidity, my dew points went really high or really low. Either way, my end result was that my beloved curl cream with honey made my hair so hard I couldn't scrunch out the crunch. I really like this website: Dew Point Calculator to calculate dew point and the dew point explanation in the main naturally curly site. This article The 411 On Dew Points & Humectants wasn't it, but I really liked it.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • LoveliamLoveliam Posts: 318Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you. That actually is helpful. I am going to read the links provided,
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    HG: Sweet Curls Crazy Curly Hard Hold Elixir after applying Deva and for 2nd/third day.
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    lolo918 wrote: »
    First one has to understand that dew points depend on humidity to be calculated, but humidity is not the same thing as a dew point. That confused me for a long time. Frizz from a lack of moisture is normally when dew points are low, but humidity may or may not be low.

High dew point and/or high humidity mean that there is more moisture in the air at certain temps so you may need more anti-humectants or sealers whether they be oil, gel, silicones, etc. I couldn't use honey this summer- it made my hair really hard. I think that with increases in temperature and the same humidity, my dew points went really high or really low. Either way, my end result was that my beloved curl cream with honey made my hair so hard I couldn't scrunch out the crunch. I really like this website: Dew Point Calculator to calculate dew point and the dew point explanation in the main naturally curly site. This article The 411 On Dew Points & Humectants wasn't it, but I really liked it.

Is this the one you meant? It's by Tonya McKay, the Curl Chemist. Humidity, Humectants and the Dew Point
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • LoveliamLoveliam Posts: 318Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks Geek Chic- I will all so check that out.

I may soon get an honorary doctorate :)
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's it, Geek_Chic!!! Thank you so much- I'll have to remember the title or most of it so that I can find it again.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    lolo918 wrote: »
    That's it, Geek_Chic!!! Thank you so much- I'll have to remember the title or most of it so that I can find it again.

:) Happy to help. I keep a folder of hair bookmarks in my browser so I don't have to remember everything.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file