Root Curl?

EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Posts: 301Registered Users Curl Novice
Hey everyone! I was wondering if any of you not have root curl (for about the first 4 inches), but the hair eventually curls once it grows down the length. I've always had my natural hair but just kept it in a bun for years, so I can't remember if I've never really had root curl or not. I'm terrified of my hair growing in straight.

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
  • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
  • AG Recoil Curl Activator
  • AG Plastique
  + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

www.facebook.com/joyfulmeadow

www.instagram.com/joyful.meadow

Comments

• KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users
    I have very little to no root curl & I am a 2c where my hair gets curlier at the end the longer it grows
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair has a slight wave for the first few inches before getting more curly, but I know it's the length stretching it out. The shorter it is the more curly it is. I know some hair works the opposite way.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lots of folks here don't tend to have a lot of root curl, and their hair can get curlier as it gets longer :) It just depends on the person, I guess!

If you want some root curl, I know some people like clipping for that
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I am a 2c more than a 3a and I have all over my head root curl. At the back is a wave but still my hair curls after 1 1/2 inch even if it not prominent. I was told that I may be a 3a with a fair amount of damage since I have root curl tendencies and springy curls. Who knows? :-P

{Stats for mobiles}
    M/C, High Porosity,Normal Elast. 2c/3a Boticelli/Corkicelli
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I have very little to no root curl & I am a 2c where my hair gets curlier at the end the longer it grows

^ this for me too, especially in the back. Big barrel type clumps the longer it gets back there. But at the nape of my neck it is pretty much straight, go figure.

My bangs area is the only place where I get root curl - it makes for interesting styling.

I really need to figure my layers out better. :sad7:
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When I first started the CG thing back in February, I didn't have any root curl. Actually, I had no idea how curly my hair really was. I always knew it was a bit "wavy" with lots of body. About 2 weeks in, I tried a protein treatment. Imagine my surprise when I exited the shower and my hair was curling from top to bottom! After learning how to care for my hair (mostly through trial and error), I've discovered I am indeed VERY curly...apparently, I've been "starving" it all of its life, as it seems endlessly thirsty for both moisture and protein. I thought I was a 2c, but as time goes by and I continue to follow the CG method, my hair is getting curlier and curlier. Today, I'm mostly a 3a/b with a few spots where the 2c's linger. It's been quite the revelation. I still feel as though I'm wearing a wig or maybe more accurately, someone else's hair !
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Posts: 301Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks everyone! Hopefully my roots will get curlier. Like @SpiralHam the pieces of hair framing my face have root curl, but the rest of my roots a straight with one or two 2b waves. I'll definitely try a protein treatment and see!

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That would be fairly typical for 3a hair.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Thanks! I'm not sure if my hair is 3a or 3b since it looks like people who say they are 3b, but also like others who say they are 3a.

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm a mix of 3a and b but have pretty much no root curl. My hair is curlier when shorter but I get no root curl whatever the length.
    3b in South Australia.
    Starmie wrote: »
    I'm a mix of 3a and b but have pretty much no root curl. My hair is curlier when shorter but I get no root curl whatever the length.

At what point do your curls start? Some people say they have no root curl since it starts 1 or 2 inches down but my curls start about 4 inches down, which is why I hope it's not growing in straight.

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

• CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    The only way I have root curl is to have shorter layers. Otherwise the weight of my hair pulls the roots flat. My shortest layer curls up around ear length. Clipping while drying also helps, but for me it's getting that extra bit of weight off.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte

That's me, too. I'm also a 2c and my hair is curly on the ends but not on the roots on the outer layer. The portion near the back of my neck and around my ears is curly on the roots but that is underneath.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BeinDeb wrote: »
    When I first started the CG thing back in February, I didn't have any root curl. Actually, I had no idea how curly my hair really was. I always knew it was a bit "wavy" with lots of body. About 2 weeks in, I tried a protein treatment. Imagine my surprise when I exited the shower and my hair was curling from top to bottom! After learning how to care for my hair (mostly through trial and error), I've discovered I am indeed VERY curly...apparently, I've been "starving" it all of its life, as it seems endlessly thirsty for both moisture and protein. I thought I was a 2c, but as time goes by and I continue to follow the CG method, my hair is getting curlier and curlier. Today, I'm mostly a 3a/b with a few spots where the 2c's linger. It's been quite the revelation. I still feel as though I'm wearing a wig or maybe more accurately, someone else's hair !

+1 I never had root curl until I started lurking on nc.com. Never used products before that. It can make a BIG difference. Especially using the right products/techniques.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Starmie wrote: »

At what point do your curls start? Some people say they have no root curl since it starts 1 or 2 inches down but my curls start about 4 inches down, which is why I hope it's not growing in straight.

They probably start a couple of inches down at most.
    3b in South Australia.
    Thanks so much everyone! Hopefully it'll eventually start to curl more since I'm taking better care of it (I used to rarely even use conditioner).
    The only way I have root curl is to have shorter layers. Otherwise the weight of my hair pulls the roots flat. My shortest layer curls up around ear length. Clipping while drying also helps, but for me it's getting that extra bit of weight off.

I'll definitely try that. How long do you leave them in? Until your hair dries?

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    I'd been having to clip my hair in different places to give my flat crown at least some lift but since I started doing PTs regularly AND using the VO5 KLS as a LI once my hair begins to dry it's curling all by itself! :toothy10: Another time I just sprayed my hair with a mixture of water, honey & Epsom Salt and didn't scrunch on purpose and all my hair curled perfectly, so I encourage other "flat tops" to try one of these and see if that may work for you, years ago other curlies did (particularly the E.S.) and had good results too.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

If you were replying to me, what's typical for 3a hair is that the longer it gets, the more you can see the curl. With 3b and stronger curl patterns, the curl is evident at very short lengths.

You may have some hair that's 3a, and some that has stronger curl. Mixed curl patterns are quite common.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    That's probably what I have then. I recently cut off about 8 inches (my hair used to be hip length when wet) and now some pieces seem less curly while others are now really tight ringlets. My hair seems to behave like a mix, but it looks like 3b on a good day. Thanks though :happy7:

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

Thanks so much everyone! Hopefully it'll eventually start to curl more since I'm taking better care of it (I used to rarely even use conditioner).

I'll definitely try that. How long do you leave them in? Until your hair dries?

I only leave them in until I get a little gel cast, and sometimes not that long if I have to go out. I use claw clips instead of the metal clips; I just cannot get those metal clips out without pulling a few hairs loose. I mostly clip just to counteract the effect of wet hair flattening out, so it doesn't have to be too long once the gel hardens a little.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

I wanted to try clipping my roots today since I just washed my hair, but I wasn't able to clip where I wanted. Do you lift the top layer of your hair then clip so that it dries away from your scalp?

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

I just lift sections and clip, but I'm really not great at it to tell you the truth. I just aim for some lift without it drying funky, lol. There are youtube videos and I think there's one on the Deva website as well--you'll get a better idea that way (although I cannot clip like that for the life of me).
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Here's a video showing a girl putting the claw clips on, around 4:30, she does it after diffusing her hair for a while (which I haven't tried myself) .

And here's the CG ways, I think I'm going to try the "uplift" way...
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

Here's a video showing a girl putting the claw clips on, around 4:30, she does it after diffusing her hair for a while (which I haven't tried myself) .

And here's the CG ways, I think I'm going to try the "uplift" way...

Thank you! I will wash out my coconut milk treatment today so I will try that out after.

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

• KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users
    There are some good illustrations of root clipping in Curly Girl: The Handbook (also available here), along with a really good video segment. (It's just one of many things that are easier to do with the book.)
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
  • deloris22deloris22 Posts: 50Registered Users
    I'm so scared of trying a protein treatment! But, after years of hair abuse I need to get over it and try it. What did you use?
    BeinDeb wrote: »

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using CurlTalk App
    New to the CG Method.
    Shampoo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Conditioner: SM Restorative Conditioner
    Styler: FSG, SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk, Olive Oil eco styler gel.
    Multiple personality curls on my head!
    I tried clipping and did get more volume, but no root curl. Well, I noticed that the roots which are under the top layer of hair are wavy, but the top layer is completely straight except for the pieces framing my face. I think that I might need a protein treatment since after the past 2 washes my hair was a lot softer than normal, but also frizzier and less curly. Like Deloris22 said, it would be great if anyone has recommendations for protein treatments!

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair insists on protein for every meal and snacks in between. I can wholeheartedly recommend a lovely homemade recipe for a protein treatment that can be found on the "Science-y Hair Blog" (just Google it) using gelatin. If you're more inclined to go towards the commercial route, Sally's Beauty Supply sells a wondrous knockoff of Joico's K-pak in their Generic Value Products line called "Reconstructive Conditioner," for around $5. This K-pak look alike was what clued me to the fact that my hair was desperate for protein.
    I've seen her recipe and wanted to try it since I love being able to use products that are as natural as possible, but I haven't been able to find gelatin other than already made jello powder. I'm not sure that would be good to put on my hair because of all the extra additives?

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji