Need help!!!

AmyShortAmyShort Registered Users Posts: 29
I really, really want this to succeed! I'm starting with "low poo", to ease my way into it. I have 2A/2B hair, it is VERY oily (I usually can't go more than 2 days without washing it or I look homeless). I bought Shea Moisture shampoo and Suave Apple conditioner. So my question(s) are: What did you do at the beginning to control the oil? My roots seem to be protesting my lack of shampoo use. How long did it take to transition?
Mod CG
2A/B, medium/course, normal porosity, SL
Shampoo: Shea Moisture Chamomile & Argan Oil
CO wash: Suave Apple conditioner (1:1)
LI: Sauve Coconut (1:1 & coconut oil)

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    One problem with washing your hair frequently particularly with sulphate containing shampoo is your scalp produces more oil.

Ideally you want to force your scalp skin to produce less oil by shampooing less frequently with less harsh ingredients.

You also want to avoid adding conditioners to the roots of your hair regardless of the type of conditioner.

So I would experiment with your new products and see what you can achieve.
  • AmyShortAmyShort Registered Users Posts: 29
    I've been trying for about I week and I like how the shampoo works so far (I've only used it 2x). But, I only made it 3 days before I needed to do something about the oil :( Do you CO wash? I've read that is a good way to avoid needing shampoo.
    Mod CG
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Registered Users Posts: 859
    Low pooing seems a very good idea. Remember before starting even low pooing do a last silicone free sulphate wash. My hair would do the same but now when I notice my scalp is oily I count days and it's like 4-5th day. I am exclusively cowashing. Low poo didn't work for me although I tried only one. But I would say you could use diy dry shampoo or one without cones or drying alcohols in. Also the key is very very very good massage on your scalp. You never massage enough. This is what I found along with a proper product for washing.
    I think my hair felt good after I did a consistent routine for 3-5 wash sessions

{Stats for mobiles}
    M/C, High Porosity,Normal Elast. 2c/3a Boticelli/Corkicelli
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
    Thanks Ka! I'm going to keep going because I'm determined to make this work! Maybe I just need more time. My goal is to eventually get to exclusively co-washing, but I think I need to work my way towards that for a few weeks.
    Mod CG
    I agree it would be a less shocking experience for your hair. Also stretch your washes but only if your hair doesn't seem getting dry. Is your skin generally oily normal or dry? I have heard that your scalp is possibly to be what your skin is. I have combo skin but if I stretch my washes too much my length gets dry and my scalp too oily.

{Stats for mobiles}
    HG
    CG since Feb 2014
    My skin leans toward the oily side and I have forever and always had a problem with my scalp being oily. That's mainly why I want to start this method, I want my hair to grow and not damage it.
    Mod CG
    AmyShort wrote: »
    My skin leans toward the oily side and I have forever and always had a problem with my scalp being oily. That's mainly why I want to start this method, I want my hair to grow and not damage it.

As blueblood said sulphates and constant washing makes any skin to create excessive oil so even if you scalp is normal the constant stripping of your natural oil make your skin naturally to want to cover the lose.

{Stats for mobiles}
    HG
    CG since Feb 2014
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073

You're right about that. When young my face and scalp were very oily but later on, perhaps because I wasn't washing my hair too often after the hormonal turmoil of adolescence and early 20s had passed it became less oily. I later started diluting my shampoo (during my pre-CG days) which is less irritating/stimulating. I still notice a fair amount of oil in my scalp these days, especially during the summer, so I may co-wash more often using VO5 KLS which has no oils or butters, and after massaging it very well I let it sit for a few minutes while I continue with my shower. I find that it removes any excess oil and cleanses well without leaving my colored hair "stripped" so you may want to try it for the no-shampoo days.
  • deloris22deloris22 Registered Users Posts: 50
    When I shampoo I only put small diluted amounts on my scalp and massage....alot! I get greasy real fast if I dont.
    I really, really want this to succeed! I'm starting with "low poo", to ease my way into it. I have 2A/2B hair, it is VERY oily (I usually can't go more than 2 days without washing it or I look homeless). I bought Shea Moisture shampoo and Suave Apple conditioner. So my question(s) are: What did you do at the beginning to control the oil? My roots seem to be protesting my lack of shampoo use. How long did it take to transition?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using CurlTalk App
    New to the CG Method.
    Shampoo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Conditioner: SM Restorative Conditioner
    Styler: FSG, SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk, Olive Oil eco styler gel.
    Multiple personality curls on my head!
    I just did another CO wash but this time I diluted it about 1:1 and it turned out great! I think my hair holds moisture really well so I won't need to over do it, even though that's my first instinct.
    Mod CG
  • deloris22deloris22 Registered Users Posts: 50
    Happy to hear it worked for you!
    I just did another CO wash but this time I diluted it about 1:1 and it turned out great! I think my hair holds moisture really well so I won't need to over do it, even though that's my first instinct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using CurlTalk App
    New to the CG Method.
    Shampoo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Conditioner: SM Restorative Conditioner
    Styler: FSG, SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk, Olive Oil eco styler gel.
    Multiple personality curls on my head!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file